Oh, Hi There

Nightcap

Recycles dryer sheets
I first signed on to this board five years ago, back when I was just gathering data. I just noticed I never introduced myself.

I retired two years ago from the IT department of a major university. The work was often fun, but retraining and re-inventing myself ever couple years was starting to get tiring.

In 2013, we bought a vacation/future retirement condo on Cape Cod, halfway between the Canal and Provincetown. In 2014, we sold our decrepit old Boston-area money-pit, and after spending the Christmas holiday week doing one last intensive series of plans, projections and sanity checks, we returned long enough to give our two-month notice for the end of February, 2015.

The final kicker for us was the realization that we probably have enough money for a modest retirement, but we were rapidly running out of life. By the time we retired, DW had lost two of her four older sibs to cancer, one before 65 and the other only a few months after.

Life is now a glorious cycle of song. I wake up when I wake up, no alarms. I live in a veritable paradise that most people pay thousands to visit for a couple weeks in the summer. (I don't mind tourists; they bring lots of lovely money to the town economy and they're gone for most of the year.) I have enjoyable hobbies, great neighbors, and wonderful friends.

It's all good.

Thanks for the nice intro, Nightcap! Sounds like you are the poster child for a terrific ER!

Thank you for posting

I first signed on to this board five years ago, back when I was just gathering data. I just noticed I never introduced myself.

I retired two years ago from the IT department of a major university. The work was often fun, but retraining and re-inventing myself ever couple years was starting to get tiring.

In 2013, we bought a vacation/future retirement condo on Cape Cod, halfway between the Canal and Provincetown. In 2014, we sold our decrepit old Boston-area money-pit, and after spending the Christmas holiday week doing one last intensive series of plans, projections and sanity checks, we returned long enough to give our two-month notice for the end of February, 2015.

The final kicker for us was the realization that we probably have enough money for a modest retirement, but we were rapidly running out of life. By the time we retired, DW had lost two of her four older sibs to cancer, one before 65 and the other only a few months after.

Life is now a glorious cycle of song. I wake up when I wake up, no alarms. I live in a veritable paradise that most people pay thousands to visit for a couple weeks in the summer. (I don't mind tourists; they bring lots of lovely money to the town economy and they're gone for most of the year.) I have enjoyable hobbies, great neighbors, and wonderful friends.

It's all good.

I'm very new in here. Out of curiosity, how old were you when you retired?

Belated welcome to your belated into! LOL.

Sounds like you've got it made. Thanks for sharing and enjoy!

We are singularly fortunate. You have no idea how much of this depended upon pure luck, from getting involved in the new field of computer networking back in the 80s to marrying the right person to finding a community of people I thoroughly like.

Hearty welcome to you. Sounds like you made some good decisions.

My wife and I also live in a place that attracts lots of tourists and I never mind either -- they provide a lot of extra lifeblood. They're good for my community!

-BB

Yes sometimes I think I should of worked a little longer then I think about people that die while still in the work force. That is all I have to think about to realize that I made the right choice to retire early.

Good for you and keep having fun.

"But we were rapidly running out of life."
I believe this concept is completely lost with many people!

We too decided on a modest early-ish retirement in lieu of gathering more stuff. We realized that, with respect to FREEDOM, we wanted it early enough so that we would likely have some number of quality years.
Best. Decision. Ever.

Back
Top Bottom