Old Man with a Baby

Carlos2

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello, I am an old man with a baby. At the old age of 53, my wife and I have a new born. I thought I had done the ultimate to not have any more, but I guess God had another plan. I am gong to keep my plan to retire in 8 years. I will have a pension that will provide me with 90% of my pay. I am probably going to work a little every now and then at some university. I have started already to ensure that I will have a spot. I have been working toward having a nice retirement with lots of travel to Hawaii, but with a baby now here I may have to reduce my trips a bit. I will be taking her along with me.

I look forward to participating in the discussions and learning from them as well.

Hey Carlos
Gee.. having a new baby at 53. Man, there's no way I could do that. But good for you. You'll be able to spend a great deal of quality time with bub.
Welcome!

Welcome. I was wondering if others wereFIRE with young kids. I'm 58, retiring in a month. Have a 12 year old. Also wanted to travel to Hawaii, so we enrolled our daughter in a school on Maui and here we all are.

I work with two guys who's wives just had babies. One guy was 54 yo and the other ~ 57 yo. Not for me but, they both seem very happy about it.

This is anecdotal but, maybe it's more common than we think. There do seem to be child health implications to consider.

It could be worse. Or better depending on how you look at it. I worked with a guy whose wife had triplets when he was 52.

When I asked when he was going to retire he said "I'm going to be here forever".

I have two high school classmates (male) who did not have their first babies until age 50.

I was 45 when our first and only son was born.

Now I'm 52, he's 7, and I've never felt younger.

I was retired and 51 when I had my son (now 8). We are planning our next child when I turn 62, although I had already moved to Paradise! My wife now works so I found it important to have a Nanny in the early years, but once they hit 3 1/2 it's all good.

First, congratulations on the baby! Yeah, they are a challenge at any age, but the rewards are there as well.

A former colleague of mine started later in life too. He's 62 now, his youngest (of 2) is 10. He also retired at 61, and he tells me the kids keep him young.

Welcome Carlos.

My husband was 48 and 50 when our sons were born. (And I was 39 and 41). We have friends where the dad is 70 with 10 year old twins.

Advantages to older parenting - you tend to be financially set and no longer having to "prove yourself" in your career. Disadvantages - sleep deprivation is harder when you're older.

My husband is retiring next year, and I hope to join him sometime in the next 1-4 years. Our goal is to be more involved in their lives during the teen years than they'd want/wish if they're up to no good. :)

Looking at the other parents of their various sports teams - being an older parent is not at all uncommon these days. While I'm at the older end of moms (bio clock is a factor) - my husband is far from being the oldest dad.

If you are eligible for SS and retire when your child is under 18, under current law, your child will receive 50% of your Full Retirement Age benefit. That can be a big help.

When DH retired we had 2 kids under 18 and the SS benefit was a big help over the last couple of years. One of them is over 18 now, while the other is still receiving benefits.

My BF is now 62 with a second family: a 1 year old and a 3 year old. Mmmmmmmm....not for me. The 31 yo wife on the other hand.......(just kidding)

My wife and I intentionally waited 8 years before we had kids, 2 boys. My theory was, "it'll keep me young". However, about the time they reached high school I was pretty certain it was killing me.

Good luck, Carlos!

My Dad was 44 when my sister was born, and 50 when I was. I could not have asked for a better father....active, involved, caring...probably more so in these attributes when compared to the fathers of my friends who were much younger. He always used to say that we kept him young.

“Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” -Marilyn Monroe

Nothing can keep a person young and happy, as living with and watching a child grow up.

My BF is now 62 with a second family: a 1 year old and a 3 year old. Mmmmmmmm....not for me. The 31 yo wife on the other hand.......(just kidding)
I must have a mistaken notion of what a BF is; or else you guys are very cool.

Ha

Last edited:

Fact is in many cases it is because the young wife:smitten: wants to start a family, DH :wiseone:has no choice.

Back
Top Bottom