Parole date

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
Greetings and salutations. As time goes on y'all will come to appreciate my sense of humor. (OK, maybe not everybody.) A little dry, sort British sometimes, and seldom take anything TOO seriously. :D

Why a Parole date? Because after 23 years of working Federal prisons (mostly maximum security penitentiaries) I will be retiring in 20 months. Been planning since I was 14 to be a Marine, a cop, and retired by 50. Spent three years with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. Worked the roads for two years before I decided it was safer in prison. And will receive my "parole" on my 50th birthday. ;)

Wasn't real smart about finances as a youngster, so we're working on clearing up the debt now. In the meantime, my federal retirement plan is still pretty good and I'll go out with about 60-65% guarenteed monthly income.

I've been reading "The Millionaire Next Door" and "How To Survive Without a Salary". Re-inforced ideas I sort of came up with myself; living below your means, conserver lifestyle vs consumerism, etc. I mean, who really "retires" to the rocking chair on the front porch, especially at only 50 years old? We all do SOMETHING, just to keep from bouncing off the ceilings and walls. So I've got three gigs lined up for "casual income".

I'm a motorcycle fanatic. So this spring I am becoming a certified "Rider Coach" for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Pays about $17 an hour, and each weekly course is between 16 and 24 hours.

The second gig is getting certified as a Motorcycle Referee for professional bicycle races. What a BLAST! They pay my mileage, and between $50 and $100 per day. And if it's a multi-day race like the Tour de Georgia or Tour de Toona they pay my hotel too. Make about $200 a day for a local day race and aboaout $1000 for the week long ones. And all I do is ride my motorcycle and enforce the rules.

Last, but not least, I've been teaching in one format or another since 1975. I've taught literally every age from 3 years old to 83 years old. Taught for the USMC, Red Cross, American Heart Assoc, and the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Well, here in PA they don't require a teaching license for substitute teachers. And since I don't want a real job, long-term subbing, or tenure that's perfect for the non-riding season.

DW (I gather that means "da wife") will continue working her bank job until she gets sick of it. If she makes it an extra 8 years from my parole date she'll get her own "gold watch" too. If she gets sick of it, phooey - just quit. We've never planned on her income for retirement anyway.

Looking forward to learning a lot here.
Stay safe folks.

"Iron" Mike
:police:

Hey Mike sounds like you gotta a plan. What part of Georgia ya from ? Been retired for a year and just moved into the Rossville area to be close to my son, his wife and grandchild. Scooter riding nut here too and some great riding down here except people need to learn how to use their turn signals and get off the darn cell phones. Did a few years for Sam myself humping the boonies in SE Asia.

Good luck with your plan.

frayne said:
What part of Georgia ya from ? Scooter riding nut here too and some great riding down here except people need to learn how to use their turn signals and get off the darn cell phones.

Not in GA, yet. Still in PA. Won't get to move south until DW quits working. Then that whole TN-GA-SC corner is looking real inviting. Just have to find someplace out in the boonies for cheap to build paradise.

"Iron" Mike
:police:

Welcome Mike! When I retired I told all my friends that "was going over the wall" as part of my "Great Escape". If you look at my Avatar it should remind you of the famous biker scene in the movie of the same name. :D

I was down in the "Smokies" this fall and the riding there (as you know) is great! Just have to get around the leaf peepers. :LOL:

A number of people here are motorcycle fanatics. Teaching the safety course sounds like lots of fun. I had a friend who several years ago decided she wanted to learn to ride motorcycles. The first time she tried was at the beginner class. She promptly did a wheelie and never tried to ride again. Except behind her DH.

My husband and I ride, currently only on road off road cycles. Previously we road sport bikes but we are without right now. :-[

The MSF course is an excellent way to get started for those who have any interest in riding. It is cheap, the bikes are furnished and the instructor I had were top notch.

Retiredbob, just curious as to what the requirements may be to help instruct or assist during the course ?

Bikerdude - The Smokies are a "smokin" place to ride. Loved every minute of it. Retiring nearby would really add to the pleasure. I suspect I could ride year round in that area.

Martha - Being without a bike is so sad. :'( I don't think I would like not having at least one in the stable. It is my favorite form of stress relief. And DW thinks so too.

frayne - The MSF wants riders with at least 5 years experience, clean records (no accidents or tickets in the last five years, preferably longer) with decent mileage experience (no 1500-2000 mile a year posers), and of course graduates of their own courses. More here

chris2008 - WOW, somehow I've never searched for simple living, hence never seen the site. Thanks for a GREEAT lead. :D

Back
Top Bottom