Planning to retire in 4 years

Bob1958

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi: I'm beginning to search for a post-retirement very part-time career. In 2013 I'll have completed 33 years of government service, and as long as no curveballs are seen between now and then I'll retire on time.

Retirement money will not be an issue, but I'll look to work part time, doing something at home or very close to home, and need enough flexibility to only work the months I choose since I plan on taking the summers off and probably a month or two in the dead of winter.

Doing some voluteer work will be easy to find, and I hope to dedicate a day or two a week for that. What I think I'd like to look into is some kind of restoration work. I like fixing things, but although I've done all the major house renovations I have no intention of getting into something like that. I'm thinking more of small shop work, but something I can do at my own pace. I have 4 years to figure this out but I like to plan things way in advance so I'd like to start thinking about it now. Does anyone here do at-home work at their own leisure? How does that work out?

Hi Bob, and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you have a plan that's going to suit you. I don't do at-home work, but it sounds like an interesting idea. I'd guess you already have the needed tools, and some dedicated space -- in other words, you won't need to invest a lot of money to pursue the idea.

I'm bad enough at getting the things done I need to do for myself, much less others -- but each to his own.

Again, welcome aboard!

Coach

Back
Top Bottom