Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You're one of many working in consolidated megacorps. One side always wins out.

It's so nice that you're in the driving seat. Now it's time to put it on cruise control and hang in there for another 60 days.

And you're right that you're due some decompression time. Hopefully you'll enjoy retirement so much you'll put further employment on hold--permanently.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I missed this thread when it first came out.... will have to read it all to get into it...

But, to the last OP comment... maybe you can ask for a package.... when my mega merged (and it merged a number of times), my last good boss was demoted... he stayed and worked for a couple of years, but his level kept going down... they were going to do another reorg and he would have been way overqualified for the job... so he just asked them to give him a package... they did...

It is much easier to get a package with a big mega when they have a big reserve set aside for just this... no skin off of the manager who gives it to you as it is charged to the reorg CC....

Old 11-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Would it be possible to give them notice now that you intend to resign effective February 1, 2017 and that you will continue to work as long as they want in order to have an orderly transition and then you will go "on vacation" for whatever time remains. You would in effect be giving them two months notice, would get your 401k match, and your vacation will spill into 2017.

I did something similar and changed my 401k withholding to 100% effective January 1st so I had minimal earnings income that year.

Where I worked if you were on payroll the 1st of the month then you were eligible for employer subsidized health insurance for that month so ending on the 1st was better than at the end of the month.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:16 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
I always find it very interesting to read posts where the OP gives periodic updates. So thanks for keeping us updated along the way.

I am starting to believe more and more, that one of the huge reasons to retire early (once someone hits FI) is for health reasons. The cost of healthcare is rising enormously each year. And, I just learned about the enormous cost of Nursing/Long Term Care from a friend. One of the best thing people can do to invest in their financial future and to enjoy life in general as they get older, is to remain in the best shape they can. Unfortunately, when we are working we tend to not exercise nor eat as well.
Not working anymore has done wonders for my blood pressure.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

So it's time for an update. I stayed at Super MegaCorp until mid-January so that I can get some extra perks (401K annual match, extra PTO allotted). I couldn't get myself severed for the last 3 years, but the packages were minimal anyway.

In the late Fall, I started hinting to people in my field, that I would be leaving, and perhaps retiring. I actually got a few job offers - and I ended up taking one from someone who I worked with in good times many years ago. So, I went from a 80,000 to 90,000 person company to a 50 person company in early February.

Here's the tough part. Although things are somewhat better, the hours are still long and there is still pressure to develop the business. There are a lot of evening events I must now go to. Ten years ago this may have thrilled me. However, I'm finding it difficult to go from a mental state of being months from retirement, to regrouping and continuing to work hard. Especially since I took off 3 weeks between jobs, and I was in that retirement mentality!

Honestly, one of the caveats at that point was still the issue of ACA, and whether I'll be able to get a plan with having pre-existing conditions. Still an issue.

My new game plan is more of a OMY mode. I feel committed to some extent, because the new firm bought me in and I have a previous good relationship with them. So, I'm hoping to grow their business and if I can hold out until next Spring when I'm 62, it would be time to go. I know that's not so ealry compared to many people on the board, but that's okay. But it's tough - for those of you out there, who extended their retirement date to a OMY as they got closer it must have been a challenge.

Meanwhile, the good news is that portfolio is looking better. I passed the $2M mark at the end of the first quarter, and with my house paid off several years ago, I'm at 2.450M. My AA is 67/23/10. I'm thinking I need to be a little more conservative, and perhaps go to 60/30/10 or 55/35/10.

We'll move and downsize, freeing up another $100K at that point. FireCalc also says I'm good to go - and I would entertain part-time consulting work which I'm pretty sure I can get and continue part-time teaching. My wife also works part-time in something she really enjoys.

I'll have to go on the 2017 site and move me into 2018. I'm a little out-of-shape (need to lose at least 20) and I can't wait until my exercise routine comes back more fully when I have the time. (I used to be very athletic, and ran marathons way back when, so this is an issue with me).
Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #26

Work on that health! After all the planning, that is of prime importance. The new position sounds interesting, but intense.

Health insurance is a biggie for a lot of people (see ongoing active threads). You gotta do what you gotta do on that; with your portfolio, and wife's ongoing R.Estate job, however, I'd keep a close eye on things for the next few months--maybe you can call it this year still, if your individual-area insurance market is decent.

On the AA, it is tough, isn't it!? We are now at 41% non-equity as we enter our last three months of work--were 100% equity all the way until 2013 or so. DW wonders if I have gone to opposite extreme...

Good luck.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the update. I always love hearing how things are turning out for people and what choices they made.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the update and things are looking good!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #29

You sound like the perfect candidate for part time work or consulting. I hope you can find a way to make that happen.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #30

Welcome aboard Alvin.