Prone to Rant

Aruba50

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi All,

This is actually not my first post even though it probably should have been. It would have been polite to have introduced myself before going off on a rant in another forum. Fair warning; I do love to debate (rant) social and political topics of the day. In fact, I expect that I will fill much of my retirement doing just that.

Speaking of retirement, I am hoping, planning, pretty sure to be be out of the door in one more year. I am 57 this week and my wife is a couple years younger.
We have built a pretty good nest egg, have no debts and own our home. You have probably guessed by now, correctly, that we must not have kids.

My wife will work for maybe a year past my retirement but not much more. I think we will be OK but like most of you here, I have a little trepidation. It will be a big change and I tend to worry about everything.

I have enjoyed your conversations, advice and witty repartee for several weeks and it's high time I introduced myself.
Howdy!

Hi All,

This is actually not my first post even though it probably should have been. It would have been polite to have introduced myself before going off on a rant in another forum. Fair warning; I do love to debate (rant) social and political topics of the day. In fact, I expect that I will fill much of my retirement doing just that...............

Welcome. Don't worry, ranters quickly end up on ignore lists.

Fair warning; I do love to debate (rant) social and political topics of the day.
Welcome to the forum.

Given your comment above, I wanted to be sure you saw this particular section of the Community Rules:

Although we don't have a laundry list of inappropriate topics, discussion of subjects such as politics (unless directly related to early retirement), gun rights and abortion rarely end well. For this reason the moderation team may delete discussions of these topics as well as any other topic deemed to be inappropriate.
These rules limit political debates/ranting, and thankfully help make make this board congenial rather than confrontational.

travelover: You're nickname describes one of the things I worry we will have to cut back in retirement. We also love to travel and I hope I am not being unrealistic in thinking we will be able to keep it up.

I don't much like to be on ignore lists so I will keep the "ranting" in check.

travelover: You're nickname describes one of the things I worry we will have to cut back in retirement. We also love to travel and I hope I am not being unrealistic in thinking we will be able to keep it up...........

Travel doesn't have to be expensive. Lots of money saving ideas kicked about here.

Welcome aboard, you'll fit right in here.

Sounds like you'll be in the FIRE Related Political Topics forum often, interesting discussions there sometimes. And more civilized than most outright political forum sites - thanks largely to our outstanding Moderators who we don't thank often enough.

Welcome to the forum. Can you tell us a little more about your financials eg how will you finance your retirement? Sounds like you enjoy travel. Will this be a major expense?

Welcome to the forum. Can you tell us a little more about your financials eg how will you finance your retirement? Sounds like you enjoy travel. Will this be a major expense?

Well, we have about 1.1 mil in savings probably 70/30 securities to safe investments. I will receive a company pension of about 28K (non-indexed) and my wife will receive a company pension of about 43K (non-indexed). We will both be eligible for Canada pensions of about 5k each at 60 or about 11k each if we wait to claim at 65. We will both have health benefit plans in retirement and in Canada, health coverage is never an issue in any case.
Our investments probably return about 30-40K annually.

We like to travel in Europe in particular but have many destinations in mind. I love travelling in the U.S. and have much to see there also.

I envy all of those here that have experienced that first morning when you wake up and realize that you will never have to go to work for someone else again.

It would never have occurred to me that opinionated persons, with younger spouses and paid-off homes, would not have kids. In fact I can think of several examples, but I don't want to start an argument :flowers:

Amethyst

Hi All,

. Fair warning; I do love to debate (rant)...

Speaking of retirement, I am hoping, planning, pretty sure to be be out of the door in one more year. I am 57 this week and my wife is a couple years younger.
We have built a pretty good nest egg, have no debts and own our home. You have probably guessed by now, correctly, that we must not have kids.

I'm surprised someone from Canada enjoys ranting--clean air, great health care, low population--what's not to like?

Also don't see why we would have guessed you don't have children, Aruba, but you must have your reasons :) .

Also don't see why we would have guessed you don't have children, Aruba, but you must have your reasons :) .

Yes, not only would I not have guessed it, I wouldn't have even thought to guess it. It wouldn't have occurred to me, either way.

Sure, kids are an expense, but it doesn't preclude an early retirement. A higher paying job/jobs, or any number of things can certainly offset the expense. And some people have hobbies that cost more than kids. I guess one could say "You have probably guessed by now, correctly, that we must not have any expensive hobbies"?

-ERD50

I am 57 this week and my wife is a couple years younger.

This statement is a tad confusing. Why would we guess you must not have kids? Others, including myself, had a pretty good nest egg, no debts and owned their own home at 57 and did raise a family.

This statement is a tad confusing. Why would we guess you must not have kids? Others, including myself, had a pretty good nest egg, no debts and owned their own home at 57 and did raise a family.
But of course we in this category were fortunate to be able to lease them out at a good return.

Ha

But of course we in this category were fortunate to be able to lease them out at a good return.

Ha

Dang it Ha, you hit the nail right on the head again! Yep, frugal living and good rates on leasing out the kids = FIRE everytime! Our secret is out now.......

Yes, not only would I not have guessed it, I wouldn't have even thought to guess it. It wouldn't have occurred to me, either way.

Sure, kids are an expense, but it doesn't preclude an early retirement. A higher paying job/jobs, or any number of things can certainly offset the expense. And some people have hobbies that cost more than kids. I guess one could say "You have probably guessed by now, correctly, that we must not have any expensive hobbies"?

-ERD50

I meant it as a joke only....sheeesh!

It was a joke. I'm glad you are so capable.

I envy all of those here that have experienced that first morning when you wake up and realize that you will never have to go to work for someone else again.
Welcome. :greetings10: All of us continue to enjoy the silly little grin years years after The Big Day.

....make this board congenial...
Yep, that's us Texans... congenial. :LOL:

Ha

Welcome to the forum Aruba.

Hmmmm I have a couple of little ones that I just put to bed... how can I lease them out to help fund the FI bucket?

My little ones costed a bucket full and will continue to cost a bucket, but well worth the cost ... on target for FIRE by 50 as a choice/option. Looking forward to a silly grin!

Back
Top Bottom