Quit the world at 34 and now "broken" and refuse to go back

$500K just doesn't have much contingency in it to allow for you to recover without going back to w$rk (if that's even possible when the SHTF, especially if you are injured or very ill).

Im not sure where you got the number of $500k... but I never posted it or any other number. Our boat is probably worth that (but I would never call a boat an investment, so we don't count it).

To each his or her own. Like others have intimated, this isn't really a forum of LEAN FIRE folks, but all are welcome here...you might just get some negative (constructive) feedback, if folks don't think you have 100% chance of success using FIRECALC or something similar!

Im quickly gathering the fact that my ideas don't fit the "normal" conversation here... and seem to be less than welcome... but maybe the confusion comes that I would hardly consider the lifestyle we are living lean. Were some of the steps we took to get here, maybe... but today Im almost embarrassed at how ridiculously opulent it feels.

Originally Posted by Silver
This is starting to smell like a troll. I could be wrong....often am. But some of the signs are there. If he asks "what are the signs of a troll?" we'll know for sure.

I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing, FWIW.

Limited post history. Not so humble brag..
Very doubtful. Pics in another thread. Link to a blog. Consistent story. Doesn't sound at all like a troll to me.

Im quickly gathering the fact that my ideas don't fit the "normal" conversation here... and seem to be less than welcome... but maybe the confusion comes that I would hardly consider the lifestyle we are living lean. Were some of the steps we took to get here, maybe... but today Im almost embarrassed at how ridiculously opulent it feels.
There are many friendly responses and welcoming posts as well. There is no normal lifestyle, but is is fair to say the community here is very familiar with the choices and options surrounding early retirement. :)

If I would have asked opinions on my finances and if I was ready to RE I would have probably been sent back to the job also. Especially the few times I've mentioned that I use a financial person to manage my finances, learned my lesson about mentioning that. But here we are 10 years into retirement enjoying life as best we can. Don't understand why so many here are sniping at this guy and his successes, especially when we see many members here bragging about their successes. He's doing something very different than the majority of us, perhaps some here are jealous of his success and happiness? I know I am and wish I could have the adventures he's having when I was younger.
Hang in there Brydanger, you're at least my hero!

Good for you! For following your happiness and making the leap even if other told you it wasn't the "right" time!

Thats my entire point here is that others should know and feel comfortable doing what is right for them and their loved ones even if it isn't "accepted norm" of others.

May every day of it be blissfully happy!!

I’m also happy for you that you’ve found a path that is working for you. As for me, I’m retired and loving time with my DW, kids and grandkids. Life is good!

YES!!!
as it should be!

all the best to you and yours!

That's a rather broad overstatement, though this thread is illustrating the crotchetiness of the old/conservative portion of the userbase here. Traditionally the FIRE community on the Motley Fools board wasn't that old, and when a bunch of us transitioned here, it was still a new/cool thing. Definitely not the conservative route which was work until you got Social Security. Now a bunch of us are older than we were, but 42 is not particularly out of band for the crowd. And Imoldernu is one of our older posters and clearly made choices that were not in the pile up $2M+ and then retire side of things, and nobody attacks him for it, he too built a life he really loves on far less money than is the typical discussion on here and has been very open about how it worked for him.

Sadly, I haven't been around long enough to know the history or what has transpired before.

I actually only found out about the acronym FIRE from new friends we were trying to help coach through the "leap". I was ecstatic to learn that there was a community of others out there striving for the same thing we had been working so hard for and expected a better fit.

Seems I stumbled upon the wrong FIRE forum as theres a clear "one way or the highway" view thus far.

No matter what the subject, I am happy to tell people what I do and how I do it, but I have no intention to proselytize.
Nor have I attempted to do here...

I salute brydanger for his choice. It looks like he is having fun and it appears to work for him. It's not what I did, but that doesn't mean it is wrong, just different. It is certainly not my place to second guess him.
Thanks. I think all of our paths are great as long as we feel we have the confidence to take them. It's those who don't have the voice and the community that I worry about... those who feel trapped or stuck and see no way out, or don't stumble upon any of these communities to find that others at least share in their vision/goals - even if the path there might be different.

Sounds like you enjoy your minimalist lifestyle, and have found a way to fund it, so good for you.

As someone who is also 42, and that plans to buy a sailboat and go sail around the world, I'm slightly jealous of the experiences you're having now, though I suspect I would not be jealous of the living conditions in which you have them (I would not be content to live in a van personally for instance, and I want a modern boat, though I don't know anything about your boat other than it's a 39' cat). I know that I wouldn't personally be able to enjoy my retirement if I wasn't very certain that the funding would last and maintain the lifestyle I enjoy. It sounds like you're not confident in that for yourself, but I hope that changes for you in the future and that you remain happy with your chosen path.

Congrats on the accidental retirement and the adventures it has brought you and your wife. Maybe someday in 5 or 6 years when I grab my boat we'll run into each other and have some sun-downers (or some other time if we happen to be in the same anchorage/marina when I charter). What's the name and make of your cat?

Im not sure why it matters... but the boat is a 2016 Catana Bali Catamaran named svKarma (after our dog, who is also a large part of the reason we traveled by van...so we could all be together). Not the most expensive, nor the cheapest, not the fastest nor the slowest.

Our lifestyle living and traveling in a van was a means to an end... if traveling full time and camping/hiking/exploring (all things we love to do and would previously spend precious vacation time to do) was a bad as it had to get, we certainly never felt like we were living in strife.

I guess that's what makes all of our paths different. To us living in a small space never mattered if our back yard was infinite and we had no timeline or demands on our time to be anywhere else. That was one version of perfection.

Now we live that same lifestyle on a floating home that seems ridiculously large and opulent for the two of us and a dog. We spent almost a week last month anchored off of a private resort that charges over 2k/night for guests.. it's hard to me to look at our nights spent anchored in that bay (or any other), snorkeling with those guests and eating/drinking/mingling at the bar/restaurant with them as "tough" living conditions.

I don't know what your future boat or life aboard looks like, but ive certainly seen yachts 10x the size of ours with enough "help" to make sure you never lift a finger - so wherever you are in the spectrum im sure you'll find it out there when you go!!

AS far as our funding... I think it's as strong as anyone else, or at least will be when our tenants finish paying off the mortgages... but that doesn't mean I don't still have hesitation. I think we all do, but when your path is (apparently) as vastly different as ours its a bit harder to find others to compare to/cohort with for comfort (as is evidenced by this thread).

Here's to hoping our wakes cross in the future and we somehow make the connection!

Last edited:
As for OP , he manages to pay for HI and hire professional managers for his rentals, so I think doth protest too much about being a have not and a risk taker. No kids to provide for and a portfolio of real estate, good on him but it's not that much of a high wire.

Can you kindly point out where I ever claimed to be a "have not"?
I laid out very clearly the we CHOSE to do without as a means to an end. That is a VERY different thing indeed.

Risk taker is a very broad term, which I continue to learn. I went through most of my life thinking we were extremely risk adverse. We never took a bad loan, we never used hard money to make an investment, we never put more on our credit card than we could pay off in a month (all things that others around us were doing often) and compared to them we looked risk adverse.

Then, you run in a different crowd or try to start a business with someone who either is terrified of all risk whatsoever or afraid to roll their sleeves up and get their hands dirty when it matters... you realize real quickly that you might not be so risk adverse as you think.

But compared to you and others here.. I don't know where we fall because nobody has been willing to entertain the conversation.

Ignoring the feedback from those upset by this life path, I really enjoyed thread. I come to this forum for views and more importantly experiences different from mine.

Big thanks to brydanger for sharing and trying to explain yourself and respond to others! Very courageous (your words ~maybe crazy) journey. Please keep sharing!

Very doubtful. Pics in another thread. Link to a blog. Consistent story. Doesn't sound at all like a troll to me.

Wait...is "positivity trolling" a thing?
A person who just posts and makes comments seeking to evoke happiness and positive comments from and to others??

Maybe I can be one of those...

Ignoring the feedback from those upset by this life path, I really enjoyed thread. I come to this forum for views and more importantly experiences different from mine.

Big thanks to brydanger for sharing and trying to explain yourself and respond to others! Very courageous (your words ~maybe crazy) journey. Please keep sharing!

Thanks...
though I have to admit being a bit confused when you say "courageous, maybe crazy" whether you mean our journey ... or willingness to post here. :LOL:

A lot of people here seem to have nothing better to do than criticize or comment negatively, either obviously or implied. I thought his responses were a lot more respectful than was deserved (by some).

If you care to read an interpret the OP exactly as is was written and intended, you will see that it was nothing but encouragement for those who consider themselves on the fence, from someone who had FIRED on their own terms.
Glad the message wasn't lost, at least entirely...

I am leaving this post because of such pointless commentary and I suggest the OP does too.
Probably the best advice I've seen in a very long day.

Just read the whole thread. Very interesting.
Congrats to you and your wife. It all sounds good.
I supported a trader who made 5m yearly at age 23 back in the 80's. So I don't worry or fret over others' successes.

Good on you for both starting this thread AND sticking with it and replying to both positive and not so positive reply’s. Many would not. I hope you stick around the forum in general.

Someone who retired without firecalc telling them they could with a high probability of success or knowing what their plan was going to be is definitely a road most of us have not chosen,but adds a valuable perspective many of us can learn from both before and after retirement.

As for me I definitely took a more conservative path, but I do fantasize about other choices I could have made earlier in my life or even make now at 54.

Thanks again for perspective. For SOME life doesn’t have to tell you there is a 95% chance of success.

I'm somehow losing track between you living in van and then a 500K boat in 7 years.

You say you don't need a house or a fancy car or status symbols, where does the boat fit in that equation?

Cliff note version you worked hard, took a break from work and then decided never to go back, not that unusual around here. You obviously had more then a small head start of being FI.

HNL Bill this OP is not in a lean FIRE situation.

The boat is a 2016 Catana Bali Catamaran. Not the most expensive, nor the cheapest, not the fastest not the slowest.

Our lifestyle living and traveling in a van was a means to an end... if traveling full time and camping/hiking/exploring (all things we love to do and would previously spend vacation time to do) was a bad as it had to get, we certainly never felt like we were living in strife.

I guess thats what makes all of our paths different. To us living in a small space never mattered if our back yard was infinite and we had no timeline or demands to be anywhere else. That was one version of perfection.

Now we live that same lifestyle on a floating home that seems ridiculously huge and opulent to the two of us and a dog. We spent almost a week a few weeks ago anchored off of a private resort that charges over 2k/night for guests.. its hard to me to look at our nights spent anchored in that bay, snorkeling with those guests and eating/drinking/mingling at the bar/restaurant with them as "tough" living conditions.

I don't know what your future boat or life aboard looks like, but ive certainly seen yachts 10x the size of ours with enough "help" to make sure you never lift a finger - so wherever you are in the spectrum im sure you'll find it out there when you go!!

AS far as our funding... I think its as strong as anyone else, or at least will be when our tenants finish paying off the mortgages... but that doesn't mean I don't still have hesitation. I think we all do, but when your path is (apparently) as vastly as different as ours its a bit harder to find others to compare to/cohort with for comfort (as is evidenced here).

Here's to hoping our wakes cross in the future and we somehow make the connection!

lol, okay, I think I see where you're getting a disconnect with many of the posters regarding your actual life and the posts making assumptions about it (myself included).

When you described your "path" to where you are, it was "living in a garage" or "living in a van" and switching things over to "living in a boat". Couple that with reference to effectively running out of money and depleting savings/investments, and what you described sounds like a life of few to no creature comforts, regular and repeated financial worries, in exchange for "the joy" of not having to work a regular job.

You mentioned businesses and real estate but provided nothing close to the information necessary for a reader to think that the money you accumulated/income being generated was what most people would consider a "comfortable" amount.

The boat I pictured at first was more like an Oceanic Mk II etc when you said you bought a cat. Certainly no where would I have surmised that you are living in what most would consider a modern luxury yacht.

Perhaps the happiness and pleasure you felt with lesser accommodations etc would still please you today, though I'd wager that most people here would find your current place quite comfortable for at least a vacation if not more.

I read "go small, go now", and I've stayed on "small, now" sized boats and those smaller, older boats are not what I'm willing to settle for (which I could easily afford now). Of course, I'm kinda in love with modern monohulls so I won't need to shell out what your boat runs either though ;).

Regardless, congrats on your achievements and the enjoyment you seem to be getting out of life these days.

Last edited:
There's a young couple who started out living full-time in an RV while doing freelance work in photography and makeup. I don't remember how I found their blog while doing research on RV topics. Over time, their travel itinerary attracts readers, and after changing from one motorhome to the next and telling people of the various mods they did to them, they upped the stake and moved to a catamaran, and have been sailing the world. Their Youtube videos get quite a number of views, and surely bring them a decent income, so that they have not talked about work for a few years now while frolicking in exotic ports around the world. They learned how to monetize their travel.

The above couple are resourceful, and know how to expand and capitalize on something that they get successful with. They are willing to take risk, and to learn new activities to keep having interesting stories to tell. However, not everyone who wants to duplicate their life will have the charisma or the same skills to generate revenues off their leisure pursuits.

Last edited:
There's a young couple who started out living full-time in an RV while doing freelance work. I don't remember how I found their blog while doing research on RV topics. Over time, their travel itinerary attracts readers, and after changing from one motorhome to the next and telling people of the various mods they did to them, they upped the stake and moved to a catamaran, and have been sailing the world. Their Youtube videos get quite a number of views, and surely bring them a decent income, so that they have not talked about work for a few years now while frolicking in exotic ports around the world.

The above couple are resourceful, and know how to expand and capitalize on something that they get successful with. They are willing to take risk, and to learn new activities to keep having interesting stories to tell. However, others who do not have the charisma or the same skills yet attempt to duplicate their life will be sorely disappointed.

Gone with the Wynns: https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/
I follow them off and on and find their journey to be quite remarkable - they have managed to successfully monetize YouTube views into a steady income stream and are quite good at what they do.

Lots of other couples are trying to do the same - I have noticed an uptick of this "genre" of videos.

There's a young couple who started out living full-time in an RV while doing freelance work in photography and makeup. I don't remember how I found their blog while doing research on RV topics. Over time, their travel itinerary attracts readers, and after changing from one motorhome to the next and telling people of the various mods they did to them, they upped the stake and moved to a catamaran, and have been sailing the world. Their Youtube videos get quite a number of views, and surely bring them a decent income, so that they have not talked about work for a few years now while frolicking in exotic ports around the world. They learned how to monetize their travel.

The above couple are resourceful, and know how to expand and capitalize on something that they get successful with. They are willing to take risk, and to learn new activities to keep having interesting stories to tell. However, not everyone who wants to duplicate their life will have the charisma or the same skills to generate revenues off their leisure pursuits.

That would be the Wynn's.

Gone with the Wynns: https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/
I follow them off and on and find their journey to be quite remarkable - they have managed to successfully monetize YouTube views into a steady income stream and are quite good at what they do.

Lots of other couples are trying to do the same - I have noticed an uptick of this "genre" of videos.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Delos personally (got to hang with them in Antigua earlier this year :dance:), but the Wynn's are pretty cool too. S/V Delos and Sailing La Vagabond I think are still by far the biggest sailing Vlogs out there though.

Youtube videos have become quite a source of income for a lot of people. They have diverted a lot of revenues from traditional media such as magazines and TV programs.

Here's another example. A young couple bought a lot of land in the NW, and talked of living off the grid. They started out living in a travel trailer, while trying to improve the lot, put in a septic tank, a water storage tank uphill to catch rain water, a solar power system.

As the revenue came in, they changed the plan and built a large more conventional home, and it will be tied to the grid. Over time, they got a big pickup truck, an excavator, a backhoe, a sawmill, etc... while never talked about the source of the money.

I followed them on/off, and no longer found the story that interesting. Recently, the husband learned to fly and got a private pilot license. :)

Back
Top Bottom