Reaching a milestone - RE, but never FIRE'd

SciFiFan53

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi - Getting ready to RE at 56 from a medium sized specialty chemical company. I am/was a technical manager, and spent 30 years at the same company, the last 2 years in Shanghai, China working on a lab here. We had come to China expecting to be here 3 years (and then retire 1 year after that), but due to the economic downturn and some company downsizing, we're coming home (Ohio) a year early. Was offered an early retirement package and we decided to take it. My Dad did RE'd when he was 53 and said they have never regretted it.
Just a bit about background. Born and raised a Midwesterner, I guess I inherited or learned frugality from my parents. We even saved money in grad school on a grad student stipend! Needless to say, we've been saving for retirement for a long time. We've got a good pension (including medical), a decent portfolio, and no debt. I would never say we're financially independent - after all, the banks, the government, and my company have to stay solvent as they have our money/pension.
Looking forward to doing some other things in retirement. Living in China has opened our eyes to living abroad and maybe doing some teaching. Teaching English here is a pretty easy job to get - although it may not pay alot, it's all gravy now.
Interested in others who may have done this kind of thing - worked outside the US to pay for some of the travel.

Thanks

Wow, it sounds like you have planned well and that you have had an interesting life changing experience by living in China. That's a great way to end a career.

I don't have anything to offer in the way of knowledge transferal, but I hope you keep posting here and sharing what you are learning.

Based on what you said about yourself, I'll bet you're more FI than you realize you are.

When I retired (at 58) I was really surprised how much less we could comfortably live on than I had planned for.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom