Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
I've seen stupid stuff in our community. Highlight: 4th graders riding carbon bikes with clipless pedals and aero sunglasses in the kids end of school mini-tri. I wondered how his parents felt as he passed the girl who's bike had a basket, bell and the half flat tires? Proud? If so, why??
Where are you located? This really sounds strange.

My 13 yo granddaughter participates in kiddie triathlons and has since she was 10. I've gone to every one. She has a quality, metal construction bike. I paid $400 for it (not a budget problem and was her birthday gift from parents and grand parents combined - although I picked up the tab!). At her races, I've never seen a single multi-kilobuck carbon fiber bike under some kid's butt. Not one. And this is in Naperville, Illinois, a fairly affluent suburb of Chicago. The races are run by a fairly swanky(to me), private health club which I think would attract affluent parents who could buy carbon fiber bikes if they wanted. Yet in your neighborhood, you say all the kids but one had carbon fiber bikes. That's quite a difference.

Of course, we're out here in "fly over" country. Maybe all these excesses you're mentioning are more a product of the coasts?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinCT View Post
Hilarious, love it!
The crazy thing is a second ice arena was just built in our town. Would you think there would be a need for two indoor ice areas in a town of 20,000?

Old 11-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
The crazy thing is a second ice arena was just built in our town. Would you think there would be a need for two indoor ice areas in a town of 20,000?
If you have a lot of hockey players competing for ice time with figure skaters....

I have friends who play ice hockey and getting ice time is a huge deal. They typically play at 2am or so. A kid down the street took up ice hockey this past year - loves it... but the team can only get ice time at 9pm... which is rough on a school night with classes starting at 7:45am.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
If you have a lot of hockey players competing for ice time with figure skaters....

I have friends who play ice hockey and getting ice time is a huge deal. They typically play at 2am or so. A kid down the street took up ice hockey this past year - loves it... but the team can only get ice time at 9pm... which is rough on a school night with classes starting at 7:45am.
Yup - That's the story here. And there are a number of figure skaters here as well. I guess the program is very good and several have moved through the system to the Junior Nationals. I will say that my son burned out on both club hockey and travel team soccer before he even reached high school. But he is a smart well adjusted successful 30 year old and doesn't show any scars for all of that parent pushing. And of course he has made several life time friendships with the kids who went through these programs with him. So I guess we didn't harm him too badly.