Scrambling to find solid ground

To be clear, I was not advocating for hiring a financial advisor to do the investigating. My concern with regards to the OP is that she may not have a handle on everything she has or needs to deal with. A couple hours with a trusted professional, IMO, would be money and time well spent. Whether or not a financial advisor is worth it for the investing is a question for a much later date as I feel strongly (for what that’s worth :)) that no major financial decisions should be made at this time. The thing to do now is gather information and make sure she has a good understanding of all the facets of her finances as she sits today. Then, tomorrow can be planned.

That was my thought as well. If you have not been involved with the finances, like my wife, I would plan on spending 4 hours or so with a fee only financial planner. You may have many decisions about how to take title to inherited IRAs, what to do with getting assets into your name, dealing with pensions or insurance, having credit in your own name, long term care, how to file for maximum social security, etc. etc. Investing is a small part of financial planning and it would be good to spend a few hundred bucks to get the answers you need from someone who knows what questions to ask. Some decisions can be very costly and irrevocable especially around IRS and pension questions. All these things can be learned, but maybe you do not want that as a hobby.

When that is done get them to set you up a simple asset allocation portfolio with a risk that you are comfortable with ( are you OK with losing 10% of your money? 25%? 50%?) that you can implement with Vanguard or someone like them or read the recommended books and do it yourself. I don't think the investing part is too hard to learn if you have motivation. Withdraw needed cash, set rest to invest according to plan, repeat and rebalance after one year. Can be as simple as that.

I read Bogleheads book, and I am sure of the Index funds with Vanguard, for now. That feels like the right direction, I think I will do a conservative 30/70 split with stocks and bonds since I know I'd not be comfortable losing more than 10%.
I dont understand the advantage of bonds over CDs if both are held to term- Do they yield more? it seems bonds are getting 3% and so are CD's what is the advantage to a bond then? (I haven't figured out how to quote yet, but)... brucethebrokers comment about CDs got me thinking , that's a great short term parking solution. Plus I really like the safety of it.
DJRR- thanks, I have taken care of all accounts, always have so I have pretty good financial literacy. Max SS is 67 for me, no pension or retirement accounts. Hy husband would not invest in anything but real estate. He would probably be bummed I want to go for some stocks but it sure served my Dad well, and now my Mom has a good retirement income.
I have a free family CPA for my accounting/tax help (He has been a great help in closing our practice and will be for the tax complexities.) He had mentioned I might want to "carefully" talk to an advisor or read books (I chose read books!) AND to leave ALL my decisions for spring.
Best reading is...This forum- it's great for learning and you've all been there and are doing it and its so democratic to learn from others who are working on this dream of financial independence. You've all helped simplify the mystical investing.

(I haven't figured out how to quote yet, but)..
Click on the button titled Quote at the lower right bottom of each post.

I dont understand the advantage of bonds over CDs if both are held to term- Do they yield more? it seems bonds are getting 3% and so are CD's what is the advantage to a bond then?

Actually some people are anti-bonds now especially with rising interest rates.

My mother holds bond fonds, but she also has money in short-term CDs (about 12-18 month durations).

https://www.etf.com/sections/index-investor-corner/framing-bond-etf-interest-rate-risk

My condolences on your loss. Let me echo the suggestion that, financially, you do nothing right now. Take your time.
I also have what may be a controversial suggestion. Stop reading for a while. 15 books since the summer, on one topic, is "information overload." Take some time to deal with what are likely still raw emotions. Keep your money in a safe place, for now. Revisit your finances after you've had time to grieve and have gotten acclimated to your new life situation.

I read Bogleheads book, and I am sure of the Index funds with Vanguard, for now. That feels like the right direction, I think I will do a conservative 30/70 split with stocks and bonds since I know I'd not be comfortable losing more than 10%.
I dont understand the advantage of bonds over CDs if both are held to term- Do they yield more? it seems bonds are getting 3% and so are CD's what is the advantage to a bond then? (I haven't figured out how to quote yet, but)... brucethebrokers comment about CDs got me thinking , that's a great short term parking solution. Plus I really like the safety of it.
DJRR- thanks, I have taken care of all accounts, always have so I have pretty good financial literacy. Max SS is 67 for me, no pension or retirement accounts. Hy husband would not invest in anything but real estate. He would probably be bummed I want to go for some stocks but it sure served my Dad well, and now my Mom has a good retirement income.
I have a free family CPA for my accounting/tax help (He has been a great help in closing our practice and will be for the tax complexities.) He had mentioned I might want to "carefully" talk to an advisor or read books (I chose read books!) AND to leave ALL my decisions for spring.
Best reading is...This forum- it's great for learning and you've all been there and are doing it and its so democratic to learn from others who are working on this dream of financial independence. You've all helped simplify the mystical investing.

Bond funds have an advantage in a "flight to safety" situation when equities are going down. As money in equities head for safety, bond funds seem to increase due the buying pressure. This is not always the case, but happens more often than not. CD's are safe, but do not increase due to a flight to safety from equities. Both are good for fixed income, just different in how they react to markets.

Back
Top Bottom