Connecting to a server

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Wondering if anyone can help me with this. I’m trying to connect my iPad to a Windows desktop. I’ve done this before and know that it works, but it doesn’t always reconnect and I have to connect again. The problem is that I can’t consistently get the two to connect. I keep getting the error message (below) and can’t figure out what that means or how to resolve that.

I’m doing the connection by going into “Files” and selecting “Connect to Server” and then using smb:// and typing in the MAC address. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1047.jpeg
    IMG_1047.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 11
I think you mean IP address, not MAC address, in the form xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. And you need to make sure that file sharing is enabled on the PC side for a specific directory or whole hard drive. And that the PC's firewall isn't blocking connections as well. There are a number of other things to check beyond that, but start with the basics first.

I think you mean IP address, not MAC address, in the form xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. And you need to make sure that file sharing is enabled on the PC side for a specific directory or whole hard drive. And that the PC's firewall isn't blocking connections as well. There are a number of other things to check beyond that, but start with the basics first.

I've always used the IP address. And smb (edit, was samba) must be running on Windows computer.
https://support.readdle.com/documents/synchronization/connect-to-your-mac-or-pc-via-smb

I’ve had it connect a number of times. But, in the times that it doesn’t, I get that error message. I can’t figure out what that’s telling me. The closest a Google search came to making sense it said to turn off the wifi on my phone/ipad and then turn it back on. Of course, that did nothing. The other search answers make no sense to me and seem to be related to something else, which indicates that the error message maybe a bit generic.

FWIW, I can do this to connect my iMac to the same desktop with no problem. The only problem I have with the iMac is that it doesn’t lock in the connection and I have to reconnect manually frequently. With my win machines, once I mapped a drive, it would pretty consistently reconnect at startup.

Perhaps your Wi-Fi coverage isn’t consistent. Try loading an app on your iPad called Network Analyzer: net tools. Then use the ping utility to make sure that your iPad can “see” your PC on the network.

If ping is good, indicated by a green dot for each ping try, then you might need to check the error logs on your PC to see why the connection is being rejected.

Jerry1, for practical reasons I put a sufficiently-large USB drive in my router, and share that so that I don't have to remember much. Lol.

The "server" software in the router takes care of the protocols, and once up, it has been trouble-free. I browse network on any device, and there is USB_Share. Yes, it makes an extra coy of a file, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

I don't have a concrete answer about your message, "Socket is not connected." But my first guess is that you should use an admin account to login to Windows. The socket it refers to is probably SSH. You probably have guest access turned off in Windows (which is a good thing).

I forgot what a socket was. Lol.

A network socket is a software structure within a network node of a computer network that serves as an endpoint for sending and receiving data across the network. The structure and properties of a socket are defined by an application programming interface (API) for the networking architecture. Sockets are created only during the lifetime of a process of an application running in the node. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_socket
In simple turns you don't have an end-to-end channel established.

Back
Top Bottom