Signed, Sealed, Delivered, & Gave Notice!

Budman

Recycles dryer sheets
Well, I did it. I signed my retirement papers and mailed them to our pension company, and notified my manager at megacorp on Friday! :dance: I will retire effective July 1st and vacation out on June 15th. I have nearly retired several times in the past, but delayed due to the economic downturn. I have worked at my present job for 34 years and am 60 years old. What put me over the edge, was reading the obituary's of several former retired work associates who just died this past week along with others that have developed cancer. I have good health now and I want to retire with good health. According to Firecalc, Fidelity's Income Planner, and my own spreadsheet forecasts, I have enough! One of our retirement counselor's has said "Once you have enough and you had enough, then RETIRE"!

I must admit, I was anxious when I dropped the retirement papers into the mailbox and also when I notified my management. 18 Days and counting down to freedom! :D

:clap::clap::dance::dance::LOL::LOL: Just in time for Independence Day!!!!!

Good for you.

Well done, all the very best for your new life.

Budman, congratulations! That is terrific. Have a fantastic retirement!

Coach

Congrats Budman! I'm just 3.5 years behind you....and counting the days...approximately 1,315 days left to go. Maybe a few less if megacorp gets bored with me.

Good luck, keep us posted on your new adventure!

R

Last edited:
Congratulations. I think we all have similar stories of friends and cow*rkers that developed health problems at an early age and never lived their dreams of retirement. You are smart to recognize that it is time.

Congratulation! Woot!

I only hope you saved enough to be able to upgrade from Bud. Retirement is a time for the better things in life. ;)

Congratulations! Your enthusiasm is contagious. I'll take the plunge sometime in the next 2 to 3 years, I guess. Have you a list of "what I always want to do when I retire"?

Way to go! Woooooooo Hoooooooooooo:whistle:

Life can be short - I just learned of a former co-w*rker's passing in his sleep on Tuesday of last week. Age 56, never took vacation, very dedicated. I was involved in a project with him for about 1 year. He was a very smart, very hyperactive guy with an oddball sense of humor who could make me laugh :D when I had very little to laugh about.

This is the type of wakeup call that shouldn't be ignored. You'll be glad you listened.

I must admit, I was anxious when I dropped the retirement papers into the mailbox and also when I notified my management. 18 Days and counting down to freedom! :D

As it should be. After all, it *is* a big decision.

From the info you gave, it all sounds good, so CONGRATS!!!!

Just in case you need any affirmation, just browse this recent thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/showpost.php?p=818408&postcount=1

It brought a smile to my face, reminding me just how great retirement is ;)

Enjoy - ERD50

This thread needs a line of dancers....

sBo_bouncing2.gif

Well, I did it. I signed my retirement papers ...

What put me over the edge, was reading the obituary's of several former retired work associates who just died this past week along with others that have developed cancer. I have good health now and I want to retire with good health.

According to Firecalc, Fidelity's Income Planner, and my own spreadsheet forecasts, I have enough!

Congrats, Budman. As we used to say at my former megacorp, "here's one not leaving the office feet first". :D

And if you feel you have enough at this point in the economic downturn, you've got to believe things will get better from here financially. Or at least it can't get much worse. And at 60, it's not really early but better now than later. :D

Way to go! Woooooooo Hoooooooooooo:whistle:

Life can be short - I just learned of a former co-w*rker's passing in his sleep on Tuesday of last week. Age 56, ...

Well, he wasn't in pain. It's not so bad then. He just didn't know what he was missing, and but was also spared the ravage of old age. It's tougher for any survivor he left behind.

Thanks everyone for all of the congrats and support! DW and I are really excited. I have so many projects to do. I can't wait to get started. Retiring in June has its advantages too...lazy crazy days of summer!

Congrats Budman! I'm just 3.5 years behind you....and counting the days...approximately 1,315 days left to go. Maybe a few less if megacorp gets bored with me.

Good luck, keep us posted on your new adventure!

R
Rambler, it goes fast. The speed of time has my head spinning.:blink:

Congrats, Budman. As we used to say at my former megacorp, "here's one not leaving the office feet first". :D

AMEN!

And if you feel you have enough at this point in the economic downturn, you've got to believe things will get better from here financially. Or at least it can't get much worse. And at 60, it's not really early but better now than later. :D

Yes, I have to think that I am no longer retiring into a recession. I'm retiring out of a recession and into a expansion.

Well, he wasn't in pain. It's not so bad then. He just didn't know what he was missing, and but was also spared the ravage of old age. It's tougher for any survivor he left behind.
I'm so sorry to hear this. It hastens my decision.

Congratulations! Your enthusiasm is contagious. I'll take the plunge sometime in the next 2 to 3 years, I guess. Have you a list of "what I always want to do when I retire"?
Yes, but I wrote it several years ago and needs to be updated again. One of the biggies is to do the Great Loop trip on our boat. We hope to embark on that voyage August 2010. :)

At some point of course, I will prepare the bucket list!

Congratulations, Budman. The anxiety you are experiencing gradually disappears as you begin to make post-retirement plans. I had the same feelings when I submitted my retirement papers in March but they've long since passed.

I'll raise a glass to you on the 4th of July.

Congrats. And welcome to the land of the free - or should that be FIREeeee.

Back
Top Bottom