Single income family. It can still be done.

CamasSaver

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hello

I'm new here and recently shared on a forum of my initial success. I am free of credit card debt and have remained so since 2011. We have created this practice in our family to only buy what we can pay for with cash. Although I am happy to have crossed the 100K milestone, it's far from where I would have liked to be at age 41.

Then again, I look at what I have been able to accomplish which is priceless to my family and I. That of which is time.

I have been able to sustain a family of 5 on only my income, allowing my three daughters to have their mom in their lives daily and this has been something I felt was important for us if we could make it happen. She has been able to take part in volunteer work at their schools, make all school events and activities and has been a valuable part to our community and school with her time which she enjoys.

Our youngest is now in 5th grade so my wife is now looking for part- time employment and it's been a challenge even getting a entry level job to give her a interview. I'm sure something will come up though.

Good thing is, I have already planned our budget to allow for me to begin to max out both my 401K of $17,500 in 2014 and also max my Roth IRA of $5500 next year as well

I've learned that I must pay myself first and live within our means and I can begin to see some significant progress.

I love my job and could even do what I do now in retirement, I just want to be in a position to work on my own terms. That to me is retirement.

Congrats. My mother was a SAHM and although money was tight we had a carefree childhood.

Your wife could look for a job in the school district or driving a school bus. She would have the same holidays as your girls and summers off!

Our youngest is now in 5th grade so my wife is now looking for part- time employment and it's been a challenge even getting a entry level job to give her a interview. I'm sure something will come up though.

It will.

This reminds me of DW's closest Aunt, who after the youngest of 10 kids was in high school, decided to look for a job. It took a while but it happened when an office manager asked "What have you been doing for the past 15 years?"

"Well, I raised ten kids."

"TEN kids! When can you start?"

He later told her that he immediately knew that she knew how to organize things and to delegate tasks.

So it will happen.

Back
Top Bottom