Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I would say it's a risky idea. To get the returns you are asking it would have to be very high yield bonds etc. The other term for that is "junk bonds".

slv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Agreed that depending on 6 percent every year for say 30 is risky. What about a flexible withdrawal plan, perhaps more than 6% on good years, but potentially much less on bad ones. Need integrated financial plan accounting for social security, age/longevity, marital status, expenses (survival vs desired), etc.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Well, we've discussed this dead horse ad-finitum and I don't want to restart it now. But I always think of it as selling trees versus selling the land that the trees grow on.

False thinking, I know, but it helps me sleep at night.
But at least today you don't have to pay an advisor 1%+ to manage it for you. The old school never touching the principal is now trickling down four generations in my family. And that first generation started with less than nothin'. (it also helped that each generation had fewer kids than the prior).
Old 02-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by parhur View Post
... Can I assume from a mix of REITS, preferred and common stocks, MLPs and some bonds that I could receive a 6 to 6.5% rate of return. ...
You can assume anything you like. Assume 10% if you want to.

The real world, however, will tell you your yield and it is unlikely to be as generous as you want it to be, particularly if we see mean reversion in stock markets' growth.

OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote