Join Early Retirement Today

Told boss that I am retireing
Old 04-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Told boss that I am retireing

I finally deceided to pull the trigger and tell the boss that I'm ready to retire. He was actually very good with it. The plan is that I am going to start working part time starting May 1st. No more nights, weekends, or long days. Im taking off Mondays, Wendsdays, and Fridays to go golfing. Probably do this for 3 or 4 months and then I'm out full time. I originally had planned on retireing in July but didn't plan on the boss offering me the part time option. I know the wife likes this option better.

The wife signed up for one more year at her school so I guess we wont both be fully retired till next year, but she is 47, I'm two years older.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Told boss that I am retireing
Old 04-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations, DM!

I'm curious-- what was the trigger? Reaching a certain size in your portfolio, a change in your expenses, a change at work, a change at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm
Im taking off Mondays, Wendsdays, and Fridays to go golfing.
So, essentially you're planning to go to the office on Tue & Thu to recover from golfing? That sounds like a good idea... recovery time is important to peak performance...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So, essentially you're planning to go to the office on Tue & Thu to recover from golfing? That sounds like a good idea... recovery time is important to peak performance...

Sounds great to me! I'm the same age, but unfortunately still have to work 5 yrs, and no option for any of it to be part-time. Somehow I suppose I'll make it. :P

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats! I have adjusted to retirement nicely due to playing lots of golf. I think Tuesday is the only day I haven't played this week. Tee time tomorrow, 8:30 a.m.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

what's your cap? Mon, Wed & Friday. What about Sat / Sunday?
Old 04-21-2007, 04:41 AM   #6

There was a couple of triggers. The kids are finally out on their own, or at least they are trying. Burn out at work, last five years we have gone to working day and night so even if I'm not there I am responsible for both shifts.

Ive been tracking my investments for 10 years and my expenses for the last 3 and according to firecalc we should have enough to maintain our current standard of living. We were able to buy 3 years toward my wifes pension and this put her at 25 years and made her eligible for a reduced pension, but the main thing is we can buy health insurance at her group rate.

And the main trigger is I realize that I only have limited amount of summers left and I want to enjoy them.

Golf is Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat,and Sun. I also have an old sailboat that I'm been paying slip fees for years that needs to be used more.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

GO FOR IT!!

My last day is June 1. I'm actually surprised that I let me boss talk me into staying long enough to help chose my successor. To make it worse, my choice probably won't even apply!
Old 04-21-2007, 05:01 PM   #8

Congratulations dm, age 49 is a good age to retire! Sounds like you have a bright future.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! Welcome to the board.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Me too! Yesterday I told manager and VP. Was offered alternative job but that would be jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Well, actually I guess I am jumping into FIRE! Have fallback of casual PT work in 6 months, should the desire arise.

5 YEARS OF PLANNING, LBYM, and judicious(lucky!) investing, including LM really skying.

It has been interesting watching my approch to work since making the decision a few months ago....turn in quality work but few uncompensated OT hours and no more frantic effort to get all of those "important, when can you get it done" delegated tasks completed, 80% of which are never used or heeded.