Update on FIRE

I agree, this forum is starting to make me feel poor, and that I need several million dollars in order to retire. Our initial target was $1,250,000, but after hanging out here for a while, I am now starting to think we need more like $1.5 milllion so we can spend $20,000/year on health insurance & health expenses if needed. I kind of feel like an underachiever on this forum because we have never made enough to make it into the 25% tax bracket. Then again, maybe I fit in somewhere in between this group & the MMM group. We would have to work until we die to save up $4 or $5 milllion. Then again, maybe that is how much a retired couple will need to successfullly survive the wild west of US health insurance & healthcare costs that may be coming (back) soon. :(

Fidelity has a rudimentary retirement score that is quite a bit less lofty than some of the numbers commonly thrown around here: https://communications.fidelity.com/pi/2015/retirement/

For what it is worth, we're budgeting $10K a year for age 65+ health costs (2 people X 30 years X $10K = $300K), which is not far off the Fidelity projections of $245K.

Back
Top Bottom