Join Early Retirement Today

Update: Pulling the Plug
Old 06-12-2017, 07:34 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Update: Pulling the Plug

Update. I pulled the plug. My last day is a month away. Negotiated a year's severance with health benefits (through early July 2018 when I will be 57) and a pro-rated (1/2) bonus payable in early 2018.

56, with 54 DW. DS out of college and working (although contemplating grad school), DD just finished her freshman year of college.

Finances: $3.9M with $2.6M in taxable and $1.3M in retirement accounts. Asset allocation of 50-50 stocks and bonds.

House: Valued at about $950K, with $56K left on the mortgage. Paying extra every month so it will be fully paid when my severance runs out.

DD college funds: $122K (not counted in the $3.9M). Small stock grant in a few weeks plus savings (in 529 and taxable account) during severance will pay for another year and my pro-rated bonus could cover most of the third. So the $122K is available to pay for the remainder of year 3, plus year four and allow me to provide some help to DS with grad school.

Small gov. pension of about $9K COLA starting at 62.

$1.3M in retirement includes lump sum present value of corp. pension ($198K, which increases each month up to $306K in 2026 when I turn 65).

SS: $2042 (62), 2908 (67), 3610 (70); DW: 773 (62), 1098 (67), 1361 (70).

May still work again at something I'm more interested in (and for health care) but not depending on it.

Key will obviously be expenses. I think I am fine at $125K, $130K, even $140K. Becomes a little more nerve wracking at $150K (at least until SS, pension kicks in). Big expenses will be health care and property taxes (unless we move at some point).

Thoughts?

DustyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 07:38 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Certainly looks fine to me! Congrats on extracting a very nice severance! I was hoping for that too, but megacorp wouldn't comply. I finally just had to walk away without

euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Certainly looks fine to me! Congrats on extracting a very nice severance! I was hoping for that too, but megacorp wouldn't comply. I finally just had to walk.
Me too. Every few months, they would lay off a bunch of people who were desperately trying to hold on to their jobs. I was desperately trying to be shown the door, and asked to be laid off 3 different times, but they wouldn't bite because they wanted to "keep my department intact" or something to that effect.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks re: the severance. I had a serious case of OMY for the last few years but the opportunity to get the severance helped get past that.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #5

did i read that right? Your pension is 198 THOUSAND a year? and goes up to 306 thousand a year? If i did read that correct, what did you do? Man if i read that right, congrats you rocked it.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

No, that is lump sum. Not per year. Sorry for the confusion. If the pension (which the company stopping funding years ago) was $198K per year, I would have been gone a long time ago.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

I negotiated the severance -- one year salary and benefits, 1/2 bonus (prorated for working from January-early early).
Old 06-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyL View Post
I negotiated the severance -- one year salary and benefits, 1/2 bonus (prorated for working from January-early early).
ok, ty. What do you spend now? If its less than the 125 or even the 140 u mentioned your good. The house payment is going bye bye soon. I cant imagine you moving up in house if you move , so i think your golden. Enjoy, you earned it
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congratulations on the negotiated severance. I keep hoping for the same and then I am out of here.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you. Doesn't feel real yet.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like you have everything covered. Congrats and enjoy your upcoming retirement.
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks Cassius King. I wish I was as confident. Perhaps just last minute jitters. I need to get a firmer grasp on spending, including how to structure my withdrawals after the severance stops (assuming I am not working at another job) to minimize taxes. And of course I will need to figure out healthcare.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #14

Quote:

SS: $2042 (62), 2908 (67), 3610 (70); DW: 773 (62), 1098 (67), 1361 (70).

Thoughts?
Can't DW's SS be 1/2 of your 2908 when she's 67, spousal benefit?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Gerntz: That is beyond my knowledge. I haven't focused on the ins and outs of SS because it is still at least 6, and likely more, years away for me.

Also, I have been using the 4% rule, which I still believe in despite the criticism, and think (or am hoping?) I will be ok if I keep our spending at or below $140K even without SS or the small gov. pension. But I do have SS and the pension in the back of my mind in case my spending is higher than expected or the 4% rule needs to revisited.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #16

As long as your spending is at/below that $140k, I'd say you look golden. Enjoy the retirement!
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:41 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have been avoiding the word "retirement" in discussions with friends, family. I don't want to seem like I'm bragging about having saved about enough to be able to stop. Do others have that feeling. And I may want to work, but only at something I will find satisfying. Unless, of course, I have to work again for financial reasons.
Fantastic shape
Old 06-14-2017, 06:26 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Fantastic shape

Congratulations, you are in fantastic shape by any standards I would apply at that expense and asset level. With some care in the early years on the spending side and focusing on your overall risk management profile, you will have a very strong financial base that will give you a lot of flexibility. Very well done!
timemoveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

You are in excellent shape.

FYI - you are undervaluing what your assets can support. Take some time to learn and run FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator to get a better feel for what yearly expenses your assets can really support. For example:

The Vanguard Longevity Calculator linked from the first page of Firecalc suggests you and your wife have:
5.1% chance of living a total of 35 yrs
0.6% chance of living a total of 40 yrs

Running a firecalc case for:
40 yrs of longevity
3.9 M assets
50/50 asset allocation
taking pension + your SS + wifes SS (1/2 of yours) at 62 yrs old
Have 95% success rate if spend $167k / yr

If run a more realistic case for only 35 yrs
Have 95% success rate if spend up to $175k/yr

The above are quick runs with my interpretation of your input and what I'd consider conservative basis. Run your own numbers as many ways as you want. I think it will make you much more relaxed about your situation.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the responses, timemoveson and whisper 66. It feels like it has been a long haul of living below our means for 30+ years, regardless of what I was making. But I need to re-run FIRECalc. I have also used the Ultimate Retirement Calculator, but not recently so I will re-run the numbers there as well. https://financialmentor.com/calculat...ent-calculator