We're "ctbktb" - glad we found you!

ctbktb

Dryer sheet wannabe
My wife and I finally got around to checking this site after reading about it in The Wall Street Journal. You could say we've been reading an awful lot lately, hoping ER is just around the corner.

We're 38 and 33, and I'm planning to retire within the next 6 months; her within the next 12. Our biggest concern is making the money last (despite our net worth of $1.3M and no debt; still, if something were to go wrong, we think we're too old to move back in with our parents).

Another concern is finding the ideal place to live. We're Wisconsin (aka tax hell) residents, but we do love our state and aren't ready to leave the life we've made here just yet. Ultimately, we expect to move abroad (we both love New Zealand and have found Mexico intriguing). In the interim, we're considering making our permanent residence a sailboat, an idea that scares my wife a bit, even tho she's a better sailor than I am. :D The expenses of just the right boat, insurance, etc., are things we have considered but don't feel we know enough about, as we don't own a boat now.

We're particularly interested in getting help identifying Web sites for health insurance (we're not starting from scratch in this search, but we're hoping to hear firsthand experiences and we're always looking for better deals or plans we hadn't considered before).

This is a great forum, and we've enjoyed reading the posts.

C(hris) and K(atie)

Good news: you're never too old to move back in with your parents, worse come to worse you can go back to work, and your nestegg, properly invested and with a reasonable lifestyle should get you by.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard!

If you want to chat about the living aboard issue, post something in the Retirement Afloat section -- I'll be glad to chat about it.

Dory36, retired to my boat in 2001

1.3 million ! that's great, I'm retiring in 4 weeks with a lot less than that. Of course, my modest pension and wife still working will help.
Ray

Wisc is 'tax hell'. I thought Pa. was hell for taxes.
I guess the rust belt in general is high tax area.

Back
Top Bottom