What would you do?

Eyesman

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi all, I have just recently discovered this forum, and it is quite interesting and exciting. I am learning a lot by reading a number of the most recent and past threads. I feel that part of learning is to put yourself in different positions and determine "what would you do?" if you were in this position.

Edit: Hypothetical man decided to take a vacation.

Last edited:
Hypothetically, i'd begin training me as your replacement (succession planning is important!). I'd subsequently spend a year training my replacement, and create a sustainable replacement cycle :cool:

Personally, I'd cut my expenses and get out of there asap. IMHO time is our most precious resource. Years spent working don't come back. Death is approaching, fast.

But at this point in time, luxury seems to appeal more to you than ER, so I suppose you want to continue working for a bit.

Last edited:
Humor me.... where do I put in an application? :LOL: :dance:-

If you are happy, not stressed, enough free time, enjoying life, etc. why change? Continue until your feelings and or priorities change.

FI = increased options for you and your family, it should not force a change in a job if you are happy. YMMV

Thank you for the input so far.

As a disclaimer:
The above is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

IOW, you want to get advice about a fairy tale?

Why, then the OP can invest in magic beans and a golden goose. And live happily ever after in a gingerbread house!

Percentages work better for me than hypothetical bazillions.

Last edited:
Welcome to the board Eyesman.

I can't answer your hypothetical question because you have only described the mechanical details of acquiring money and spending it. I'll assume that this hypothetical family has all the necessary risk planning in place (insurance, will, emergency fund, and an investment policy).

What about the rest of your life? You have the basic needs covered. This is the "and now what?" question.

What does this hypothetical family do besides go to dinner and take trips? Hobbies? Interests? What is important to the breadwinners? If they stopped working now, what would they do with the rest of their life?

You have to decide when enough is enough.

I think most on this board probably fired with well less than the hypothetical amounts you listed.

Cut a zero off the salary and reduse the net worth by a bunch and you have my situation. I have a job I can coast in and aside from the business travel (which I loathe with a passion) my job is fairly easy most of the time. It still gets under my skin and I want my time back. There is so much more to do in life aside from working.

+2

What has always been a mystery to me is why very wealthy people continue to work when they can easily afford not to (I'm thinking of Warren Buffett, Hank Greenberg and the like). I suspect that they continue to work because they enjoy it - good for them. While I enjoyed my work I didn't enjoy it enough to keep doing it once I could afford not to work.

I have a wealthy uncle who could easily afford to retire but still plugs away, but he has his own business and can create his own schedule. Not for me but some people are just wired differently.

The beauty of the OP's hypothetical situation is that one can pretty much do as one chooses.

I would work another year or two while saving a greater percentage of my income and, at the same time, plan for my life after work.

If I were in this fairy tale, I would continue to work.

Look, with 8 weeks of vacation a year, and so much money for luxurious travel and dining out, I would get bored with so much leisure. And then, since work is so much fun and relaxing, I would go to the office just to BS with colleagues, meet with customers over a power lunch or whatever, just to get a change from endless and pointless vacations. Occasionally, I would exert my muscles and fire some guys who are just loafing and not performing to my expectations. That will teach them.

Damn! I start to sound so much like Trump. Or at least I think that's what Trump would do.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good place to be. I know someone who makes a little under $800 k a year , lives in a 120K house and is sitting on about 4M. No kids , no fancy rides. Works like a dog, but gets paid well. Without getting real good control of the spending you fake playmate may go broke. Tell them to keep working!

Unfortunately, your hypothetical man has a big ego and runs for Congress. It's not the money...it's POWER.

If Mr. Hypothetical does not have a big ego he gives charitible endowments via paidup single annuity life insurance policies, trims his lifestyle, and makes sure his kids are sheilded from the spoils of too much money.

Purpose. It's all about deciding purpose.

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to respond to my friend, the hypothetical man. He will have a lot to think about, I'm sure.

Please do accept my sincerest thanks for the education you provide.

Edit: Hypothetical man decided to take a vacation.

Looks like he's got the hypothetical bucks to afford a nice one:

Eyesman said:
Hi all, I have just recently discovered this forum, and it is quite interesting and exciting. I am learning a lot by reading a number of the most recent and past threads. I feel that part of learning is to put yourself in different positions and determine "what would you do?" if you were in this particular position.

So here goes: Let's say you were hypothetically a 40 year old married man, with two young kids (ages 5 and 2), and you were fortunate enough to have a job that pays you an average of $2 million per year for the last four years. Your job is not too bad, let's say working about a 35-40 hour work week and take about 8 weeks vacation per year. You have a house worth $1.2 million that is paid off, you have about $1 million in pretax retirement funds, about $3 million in post tax investments, and about $700k to 1 million in cash. With your current spending habits, you are technically LBYM, saving a lot, but you are also not shy about spending. You go out to eat anytime you want, take nice vacations (especially with 8 weeks off a year), pay for private school, decent cars, watches, etc. Let's say you annual spending habits are to the tune of $400-500k per year.

So given the above hypothetical premise (somewhat far-fetched but just humor me), what would you do? I suppose you could technically cut down your spending to $100-150k per year, and then retire now, and live off current savings. But with that, you feel somewhat restricted where you can't eat out whenever and wherever you want, can't take super nice trips, etc. Or you can continue to work (it is not too unpleasant, you are paid nicely, with good hours and ample vacation time) and continue to save relatively a lot of money per year, while living a lifestyle where you feel you can do whatever you want, buy whatever you want, to the tastes of spending $400-500k per year? If you work for another 5 to 10 years at this pace, with your savings rate, you could easily bump up that nest egg to the $12-15m range or more, and then really be in a position where you continue this lifestyle in retirement. I know there are many more options that encompass the whole scale of extremes, but what would you do if you were in this hypothetical situation? Would you feel obligated to you kids that with just a few more years of work, you can technically set them up for life (hopefully they can continue to abide by the relative LBYM mentality)?

Thanks in advance for humoring me about the above hypothetical premise. And please just don't blow it off as being far-fetched and silly. For me, changing the parameters of things and seeing what you gurus would do in different situations would be very educational.

Holy smokes, REWahoo!!

Hypothetical man thought he was on permanent vacation and disappeared into the sunset, and you created a portal and yanked him away from his vacation. You revived his story from the grave for all to see in eternity.

You have some amazing magical powers!

It's a good thing my hypothetical distant friend lives in a made up scenario. I will tell him all the words of wisdom you guys have imparted to him on this thread. My guess is he may not be ready to retire yet for at least two to five years. Or was it that his wife wouldn't allow him to retire yet? Oh well, I suppose he will hypothetically plug along, for now at least.

Thanks again, everyone!

Holy smokes, REWahoo!!

Hypothetical man thought he was on permanent vacation and disappeared into the sunset, and you created a portal and yanked him away from his vacation. You revived his story from the grave for all to see in eternity.

You have some amazing magical powers!

It's a good thing my hypothetical distant friend lives in a made up scenario. I will tell him all the words of wisdom you guys have imparted to him on this thread. My guess is he may not be ready to retire yet for at least two to five years. Or was it that his wife wouldn't allow him to retire yet? Oh well, I suppose he will hypothetically plug along, for now at least.

Thanks again, everyone!
You're hypothetically welcome.

In addition to some good advice you got from well-intending members you have learned some new and valuable lessons. The Internet, like Facebook, remembers everything. Also, you cannot rewrite history. Hope your hypothetical friend appreciates this. Not many get so much and pay so little. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom