What Debit/Credit Card Do You Use When Travelling To The UK?

RetiredAndLovingIt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
California, The State Of Crime And Chaos.
The last time I visited the UK, I had issues with my Discover Card so I need to find another card to use this time just to be safe.
I know I have an Amazon Visa card that I never use that may be expired so that's probably of no use. I have a Fidelity Cash Management Account but never ordered the debit card, which as I understand it would waive my ATM Fees but unsure if they charge a fee for Foreign transactions and it does not offer any rewards.
What cards do you use when travelling in the UK?

The debit card for the Fidelity Cash Management account has no foreign transaction fees and ATM fees reimbursed for ATM cash withdrawals if you need local currency. If you use the debit card at a point of sale you will get charged a 1% foreign transaction fee. So this is a good card for foreign ATMs but you probably want to use a credit card at point of sale regardless.

The Fidelity VISA credit card has no foreign transaction fees and has a 2% on anything cash back reward. This is a good card for overseas use.

When using any card overseas never accept that they convert to USD for you. Select local currency and let VISA/Mastercard do the no fee conversion for you.

Fido debit for ATM withdrawal. Fees are refunded. Exchange rate is fair. Needing cash is very rare, but it's always good to have some local hard currency.

Visa credit card with no foreign transaction fee handles nearly all purchases. Always choose "pay in UK Pounds" for best exchange. Do NOT choose "pay in USD". This visa card is loaded into my iPhone and watch and I usually use one of those to pay contactless. Even works on the Tube in London.

I have a back up visa card and an AmEx I travel with as well.

I use a Schwab debit card for cash and Chase Sapphire for credit card.

Now that the Fidelity card has no foreign transaction fees, I’ll use it along with the Chase card, same as I do at home.

I rarely get cash anymore, and didn’t on my last trip to the UK. I used Apple Pay pretty much everywhere and when that didn’t work, I had the physical card.

If you’re not at Schwab, then as Audrey noted, the Fidelity debit card works well too for cash withdrawals. I have that as a back-up card.

And a big +1 to always selecting the local currency.

Usually on a terminal or ATM display before completing the transaction.

Occasionally I have been asked by a checkout person whether I wanted to pay in USD. But usually the choice is on a terminal.

ApplePay is used much more heavily in Europe/UK than in the US. It’s very handy especially with an Apple Watch. Also tap to pay is heavily used overseas.

Last edited:
Just got back from Iceland and did not use an ATM. Google and Apple Wallet worked everywhere. Given tulak’s response, sounds like it is the same in UK.

We have 2 cards that we use specifically for international travel and for buying travel products, etc in other countries (which we do fairly often). Not unusual for us to buy time in a Mexico AI from a travel agency in the UK because of a cost saving.

Both cards do not charge the typical 2.5-3% hidden surcharge on foreign purcharse or foreign ATM charges. Just as long as the charges are in the local currency and we are careful not to fall for the foreign ATM gag of asking if you want the withdrawal to be charged in local currency.

Foreign ATM fees are not a huge concern of ours. Our typically ATM withdrawal is $400-60O compared to the potential hidden FX fees on some cards.

Not unusual for us to be asked to pay cash OR given a 10 percent discount for cash, upgraded room, etc.

I never use a debit card... do not even have one...

For cash I use my Chase ATM card... I used to use Cap One for CC but got screwed by them on a transaction and Fido stopped their fee so I will be using Fido going forward...

Yes I use Google Pay all the time with my 2 Discover cards linked but if the store doesn't accept Discover it won't work. Just recently I tried to use Google Pay to order from the Arbys app and it was declined and I don't have any other cards. The next day I passed an Arbys so went in and paid with my Discover and it went right through so I have to get another brand card for backup just in case. Last time I was in the UK my Discover was also declined for the car rental. I've used these cards since the 80's with never a problem until recently.

For cash I use my Chase ATM card... I used to use Cap One for CC but got screwed by them on a transaction and Fido stopped their fee so I will be using Fido going forward...

Same with us. We never use our debit cards unless there is no other choice. For us that means creating a credit balance on our no FX visa card so that when we withdraw on a cash advance basis there is no interest because of that credit balance.

The other thing we do is take multiple cards, multiple issuers. Visa, MC, and occasionally the Amex.

One fear I have when we are on extended trips is not being able to access cash!
Spouse and I have different cards, different accounts.

The last time I visited the UK, I had issues with my Discover Card so I need to find another card to use this time just to be safe.
I know I have an Amazon Visa card that I never use that may be expired so that's probably of no use. I have a Fidelity Cash Management Account but never ordered the debit card, which as I understand it would waive my ATM Fees but unsure if they charge a fee for Foreign transactions and it does not offer any rewards.
What cards do you use when travelling in the UK?

Give Fidelity a call and have them send you a debit card. It's easy and pretty quick. DW and I each have one and carry them separately when traveling. Don't forget to set a travel notification before you leave. An alternative might be to just bring some cash and exchange a nominal amount on arrival. We always like to have at least a little local currency on hand and usually have a couple of hundred U.S. stashed away for emergencies. Hardly ever use cash any more.

DW and I both have a Venture X and a Chase Sapphire card. Great cards for travel. The Venture X practically pays for itself. We load the cards to our Apple Wallets and use tap to pay about 90% of the time.

Isn't the Chase ATM card a debit card? Ours is and we never use it overseas but we do carry it as a backup card

Yes I use Google Pay all the time with my 2 Discover cards linked but if the store doesn't accept Discover it won't work. Just recently I tried to use Google Pay to order from the Arbys app and it was declined and I don't have any other cards. The next day I passed an Arbys so went in and paid with my Discover and it went right through so I have to get another brand card for backup just in case. Last time I was in the UK my Discover was also declined for the car rental. I've used these cards since the 80's with never a problem until recently.

Sounds like you have Discovered that card is not accepted in as many places as Visa or Mastercard ;)

Europe is finicky about anything other than Visa or Mastercard.

It’s worth having a Visa or Mastercard with no foreign transaction fees for international travel.

Always travel with 2 cc, Chase Sapphire is my primary for its travel protections and the backup is a visa card. Both cc are tap to pay so I don’t need to deal with signing issues. Take a Schwab debit card for no transaction fees if a need to get foreign cash.

We are currently on last day of 3 weeks in Europe, Spain, England, Amsterdam, Norway, Finland and a day in Estonia. Used United Airlines Visa and no acceptance problems at any of these places. DW collects points and we use this mostly exclusively when traveling. She gets a text within seconds of any charge that includes dollar amount. I have also used a PenFed Visa with no problems. Have noted some places didn’t accept cash, even a WC in England took cards, no cash. :)

i use the chase sapphire reserve

We stopped using debit cards years ago after some fraudulent charges. Just spent a month in Aus/NZ and used the Chase Sapphire Reserve everywhere. Tap to pay seemed to be a common method. I did have to carry cash but that was for tipping the tour director and my fly fishing guide.

Almost all debit cards have a feature to lock/unlock the card. We use the Schwab debit card when traveling and I will unlock it, use it, then re-lock it. We only use it for ATM access.

Remember that if you’re going to ride the tube or be in other crowded tourist places, ensure that your contactless credit cards are stored in an RF blocking wallet or purse.

Never happened to me but apparently there is a problem with thieves getting close enough to you to trigger a fake contactless transaction through an unshielded wallet.

Not sure of how legit this is. I haven’t heard much about it in the US.

We use the same one when traveling anywhere. Our Credit Union has a no transaction fee Visa card we use. They do not charge for the currency exchanges. We take on backup contingency card ..... just in case, all others go in the safe.

Isn't the Chase ATM card a debit card? Ours is and we never use it overseas but we do carry it as a backup card

They tried to give me a debit card as an ATM card but it still is a debit card that can be stolen or hacked... I refused..

I have the old ATM only card which can only be used at an ATM..

Just got back from Iceland and did not use an ATM. Google and Apple Wallet worked everywhere. Given tulak’s response, sounds like it is the same in UK.

Was in iceland last month and used apple pay for everything. And then usually peaked at my phone for the sticker shock as it did the conversion for you :(

Back
Top Bottom