Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Something I have noticed in my brief time spent abroad is how formal people are when they first meet. We will be calling them by their first name the first time we see them, yet they are more comfortable with sir and ma'am.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
#7 - (We’re Paranoid)I don't think this reflects general paranoia. It is simply the news media trying to sensationalize things. If you want to generalize, how about "Mainstream 'journalism' in the US sucks"? I can buy that one. Is it better in other parts of the world? I would hope so, but here's a sample from the #1 circulation paper in the UK:

Pot calling the kettle black?
Well, it would be, if the article's author (or I) had invoked the quality of American print journalism, and attempted to assert that they do it better in Britain. Otherwise, it's just a straw man. Plus, even if the paranoia is created by the media, that doesn't mean that there aren't people building panic rooms, emptying Home Depot of duct tape to keep out terrorist nerve gas attacks, etc. If nobody consumed what the media produced, they'd produce something different. (Of course, I already knew that the alert readers of this forum are not taken in by media discourse. )
Nope, I'm standing behind my comment.

He was using some specific news sources as 'evidence' of paranoia, he didn't reference a direct poll of the people. So I don't see it as a straw man to compare US journalism to non-US journalism.

There will always be 'some' people doing odd things. We can find examples of that in any country. That does not say anything about the entire group of people.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
What I'm most interested in now is, the OP's response to these responses. I'm curious why he considered this a 'a nicely-written piece.'?

I have a hard time describing something so critical as 'nicely-written'. Subjectively, one might think it was 'well written', but IMO, it doesn't deserve that either.
Well, apparently my subjective opinion of the piece is different from your subjective opinion. That's kind of the nature of subjectivity.
And that is fine, I didn't say you weren't entitled to your own opinion. I merely said I was curious why you considered it so.

Quote:
Anyway, I used the term "nicely-written" because I thought it was written nicely. I liked the writing style, and I thought that the writer addressed some issues that many people might not have thought about, in a highly readable way.
Well, the follow-up posts indicate it was largely a 'put-on' to attract 'hits', and my subjective opinion is that does not impress me as 'well written', it's just a 'hit piece'.

-ERD50

Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
It took me a while to start hugging men friends while shaking their hand here in Mexico.

(I think Jaywalking is hilarious because he only selects they really ignorant respondents. If I watch Jeopardy, I am always impressed with the extensive knowledge of the American contestants.)
Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
My thoughts exactly. The impression that I have is that the Americans that the author "knows" are more red-necky than the people I know (apologies to any red-necks out there).
hey, go for it; you knew that redneck is the last slur that one can safely make or you would not have made it.

All at once it slurs a class, a place, a way of life, a race and an ethnic group. Whoopee!

But hey, we of the (for now) majority love to be ugly to ourselves, so pour it on.

Ha
Old 07-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larro Darro View Post
We lost the Philippine Islands, which we had controlled since 1898. As well as all our Naval bases on the British holdings in Asia.
Well after spending 25 minutes working on a reply and being about 1 minute from submit after extensive proof reading at 10 pm last night - the house went black. Power outage and it is all lost.

So rather than trying to recreate all that I'll just say we did not lose the PI. In 1935 a treaty or law (I forget now) was signed (after several attempts that were revoked) and the PI were to get their independence (I forget when) but WWII delayed that. The PI independence day is July 4th, 1946. So I don't see we lost anything because it was all in the works for over 10 years.

I did not get into the naval bases but if they were in British colonies then yes those were lost but I suspect we gained plenty to replace them.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
hey, go for it; you knew that redneck is the last slur that one can safely make or you would not have made it.

All at once it slurs a class, a place, a way of life, a race and an ethnic group. Whoopee!

But hey, we of the (for now) majority love to be ugly to ourselves, so pour it on.

Ha
Tell that to Jeff Foxworthy. I think americans are pretty light-hearted about the redneck title.

For the record, the inbreds outnumber the rednecks in my neck o the woods.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post

Tell that to Jeff Foxworthy. I think americans are pretty light-hearted about the redneck title.

For the record, the inbreds outnumber the rednecks in my neck o the woods.
Wait til I tell Uncle Dad you said that...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Q.E.D.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #69

Quote:
Q.E.D.
Not entirely.
I think americans have an excellent sense of humor. Jeff Foxworthy, Roseanne Barr etc.. play best to their intended target. Penn Gillette commented that his atheist humor went over best in the bible belt.
I have spent all of my life in redneck america and it is not confined to a single geographic area.
Slur would be stretch in my experience. I have seen "locals" with redneck tatooed on their body, "backwoods hillbilly" painted on the pickup truck.....
Old 07-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Well after spending 25 minutes working on a reply and being about 1 minute from submit after extensive proof reading at 10 pm last night - the house went black. Power outage and it is all lost.

So rather than trying to recreate all that I'll just say we did not lose the PI. In 1935 a treaty or law (I forget now) was signed (after several attempts that were revoked) and the PI were to get their independence (I forget when) but WWII delayed that. The PI independence day is July 4th, 1946. So I don't see we lost anything because it was all in the works for over 10 years.

I did not get into the naval bases but if they were in British colonies then yes those were lost but I suspect we gained plenty to replace them.

Ver...., sorry to make you work so hard. I was just making the point that the USSR was the only country not to loose territory during the war. Didn't mean to make you spend all night on Google.

The Tydings-McDuffie Law was passed March 24, 1934. It made the promise to give back the PI in ten years. That may or may not have happened as promised. I do recall in Indian Treaties something about as long as the wind blows and the grass grows.....

But much to the credit of McArthur and FDR, they overrode the top brass, and didn't skip the PI on the way back to Japan. On October 20, 1944 McArthur landed troops on the island of Leyte, 31 months and 9 days after escaping from Corregidor on March 11, 1942. The biggest battles were Leyte, Mindoro and Luzon. The fight lasted until August 15, 1945. US losses [Army and Air Corps] were 13.9K killed, 48.5K wounded. The native death toll was nearly a million, while 336K Japanese were killed.

We paid a heavy price to win the islands back, then the next year, returned them to the natives. But it was not a free and clear tittle we gave them. Do some reading on all the restrictions we placed on the new country. The two biggest being Clark Air Base, which we kept until 1991, and Subic Bay Naval Base, returned to them in 1992.

Didn't mean to get in back and forth with you, but glad you did a little digging around in American History. I hadn't read up on this aspect of the war in over twenty years, and I enjoyed doing so the last couple of days.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Not entirely.
I think americans have an excellent sense of humor. Jeff Foxworthy, Roseanne Barr etc.. play best to their intended target. Penn Gillette commented that his atheist humor went over best in the bible belt.
I have spent all of my life in redneck america and it is not confined to a single geographic area.
Slur would be stretch in my experience. I have seen "locals" with redneck tatooed on their body, "backwoods hillbilly" painted on the pickup truck.....
No arguments here, other than to note that an observation that people might put up with slurs is a very weak proof that they are not slurs. Especially if you make a very good living playing to that community. Look at many black comics and the jokes they make. You had better not make any of them though. America and much of the world competes to demonstrate who can have the thinnest skin. Appalachian whites do not appear to be thin skinned, but some guy with an upper class New England accent might find out that he had better be very careful how he acts around them. What someone can say on a stage is quite different than what he can say in a bar.

And I have not spent my entire life among those groups, but I come from them and I think I understand pretty well how they feel. We should be free to slur anyone, or keep shut about whatever groups seem at least temporarily to be putting up with it. That is just cowardice. I like the attitude of the JADL. They are no one's idea of the downtrodden or underprivileged, but they are smart enough to remember what it means to be in that position, and to fight those wars long before things are getting close.

Ha
Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #72

Quote:
No arguments here, other than to note that an observation that people might put up with slurs is a very weak proof that they are not slurs. Especially if you make a very good living playing to that community. Look at many black comics and the jokes they make. You had better not make any of them though. America and much of the world competes to demonstrate who can have the thinnest skin. Appalachian whites do not appear to be thin skinned, but some guy with an upper class New England accent might find out that he had better be very careful how he acts around them. What someone can say on a stage is quite different than what he can say in a bar.

And I have not spent my entire life among those groups, but I come from them and I think I understand pretty well how they feel. We should be free to slur anyone, or keep shut about whatever groups seem at least temporarily to be putting up with it. That is just cowardice. I like the attitude of the JADL. They are no one's idea of the downtrodden or underprivileged, but they are smart enough to remember what it means to be in that position, and to fight those wars long before things are getting close.

Ha
Good point
So many words can be either descriptive or pejorative - i.e. New Yorker, ditch digger, southerner, choose a body part, hippie. During my hippie phase an older man burst out "my god you look like jesus christ". My Italian step father called people he did'nt like "bananna" etc...
When I lived in your fair state I recall the Space Needle/Goat Rocks divide.
In the quote you cited I think redneck was meant to be descriptive.