1040-ES/V Why?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I efiled in early Feb and got our refund 3-4 weeks ago. Today I got a thick envelope from our friends at the IRS (rut-row). I opened it to find a pre addressed 1040-V payment voucher to pay our 2012 taxes with an envelope and preprinted labels - efiled/confirmed almost 2 months ago :confused: Also enclosed, 4 pre addressed 2013 1040-ES estimated tax payment vouchers, 4 1040-ES windowed envelopes, and an 8 page publication splaining everything :confused:

I've gotten these only a handful of years in my life, most years I get nothing (which is fine by me) - there seems no rhyme or reason to when we get them. I've been using TurboTax for 15 years or so, mostly efiling and using TurboTax vouchers for any estimated tax payments.

I'm not complaining, it makes me sad they wasted the time and your/our money...

Last edited:
I began receiving this package a few years ago, too. I do file paper returns and make some estimated tax payments so this is most welcome. I believe I was receiving this package even when I was getting tax forms in the mail with preprinted labels.

Does anyone get this package simply by sending in 1040-ES (paper or electronic), and the preprinted voucher form is just an added goodie which is now part of the package?

Got mine yesterday. Have been doing estimated taxes every year so I consider them handy. I always wind up paying a few dollars over estimated taxes and then rolling over the minor refunds to taxes due for the next year.

I doubt the mailing costs the government much especially if they get more $'s faster that way.

I used to receive them in the mail but never used them. I did use them as a reminder as to when each quarterly payment was due.

Since I've been using TT they produce a set when you print out your copy of the federal return. I don't use those either, but at least it has stopped the IRS from wasting money by sending them to me. I now pay my Estimated taxes via EFTPS. (I am assuming there is a connection.)

I thought that I was the only person thought that this was a poor use of government resources.

I believe if you make estimated tax payments in the current year you get flagged to receive the package for the next year.

I efiled in early Feb and got our refund 3-4 weeks ago. Today I got a thick envelope from our friends at the IRS (rut-row). I opened it to find a pre addressed 1040-V payment voucher to pay our 2012 taxes with an envelope and preprinted labels - efiled/confirmed almost 2 months ago :confused: Also enclosed, 4 pre addressed 2013 1040-ES estimated tax payment vouchers, 4 1040-ES windowed envelopes, and an 8 page publication splaining everything :confused:

I've gotten these only a handful of years in my life, most years I get nothing (which is fine by me) - there seems no rhyme or reason to when we get them. I've been using TurboTax for 15 years or so, mostly efiling and using TurboTax vouchers for any estimated tax payments.

I'm not complaining, it makes me sad they wasted the time and your/our money...
Do you use EFTPS for your estimated payments? Seems like I stopped getting those envelopes shortly after I started using it.

https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/

Back
Top Bottom