A 2022 Medicare Enrollment Tale

Southern Geek

Recycles dryer sheets
On May 1 this year, 3 months prior to my wife's 65th birthday in August, she started the enrollment process for Medicare. My wife doesn't qualify for Medicare on her own record (40+ years full-time housewife and mother), so she would be applying for spousal benefit under my work record. I had enrolled for Medicare 2 years ago using the SSA web portal, and it was easy peasy. However, when my wife attempts to enroll online, there is no joy. No matter how she tried, she was unable to complete the enrollment online. We searched online for help, and finally located some obscure SSA web page that stated that a spousal application for Medicare benefits cannot be completed online. Enrollment could only be completed by either phone or in person at local SSA office. My wife elected to call SSA to enroll (1-800 number). After about a 30 minute wait, a SSA representative answered her call. Wife explained she wanted to enroll in Medicare A&B, but not Social Security, under my work record. The rep then starts the enrollment process. He asks her a series a questions (same ones as in an online application), and at the end of the questions, my wife thinks her enrollment is complete. But, then the rep tells her that to complete her enrollment, she would have to interview with a rep at the local SSA office, and due to the backlog resulting from the COVID shutdown of the local offices, the interview would be by a scheduled appointment via telephone. He then scheduled her interview for the earliest available appointment which was 11:47AM on July 1! And she was told that she would need a copy of our marriage license available at the interview (which we both thought was kind of weird). A week later, wife gets letter confirming appointment for July 1, and letter notes that she would need our marriage license available at time of interview.

7 weeks later, the local SSA rep calls right on time. He asks the same series of questions that were asked by SSA rep in prior call (as if the national and local SSA offices don't share databases?). During the process, he assured my wife several times that she would have her Medicare card prior to August 1. This was important, as my wife's current medical insurance would be terminated at midnight on July 31 and she needed her Medicare number to enroll in a Part D PDP prior to August 1. But then, at the end of the call, he tells her that to approve her enrollment he would need to make a copy of our original marriage certificate which she could either mail, or bring, to the office. Up to this point, no communication that we had received had indicated that this was necessary to complete the enrollment (other than having available at interview). My wife elected to take the certificate to office in person same day, prepared to wait hours. When she arrived at local office, there were a LOT of people in the waiting room and she couldn't figure out how to get in the queue. She asked a security guard nearby what to do, and when she told him the reason for her visit, he told her to go through an unmarked door and talk to lady inside. The lady inside took the marriage certificate, made a copy, and put copy in envelope labeled with name of rep my wife had talked to earlier that day. They lady indicated that wife should receive her Medicare card in about 2 weeks. Wife was in and out of office in 15 minutes.

My wife begins logging into her SSA account daily to check enrollment status because her Medicare number would be posted there before she got approval letter in mail. After 2 weeks, we begin to worry as her status never changes from 'in process'. At end of 3rd week (1 week from August 1), she attempts to contact local office to see if there is an issue. The local office never answers and her call is forwarded to national. After 30 minute wait, she is able to talk with someone from national who looks at her account and states everything is in order and my wife should receive an 'award letter' soon. "How soon is soon?" "Soon.'' "Has a Medicare number been assigned?" "Can't tell you that." "Anything she (my wife) can do to get a Medicare number by August 1?" "You will get an award letter soon."
So, here we are on the last business day of July, and my wife's enrollment status is still 'in process'. At this point, it is evident that wife will not be able to enroll in a PDP prior to August 1, and unlike Parts A&B which will be retroactive to August 1 once her Medicare is approved, a Part D PDP is not retroactive so we will be paying for her prescription drugs out of pocket through August (assuming approval not delayed past August).

Some Takeaways:
1. SSA (and 3rd party vendors) provides a lot of communication encouraging use of online enrollment, but do a lousy job of communicating exceptions for use of online enrollment.

2. If wife had known that it would be 7 weeks before she could get appointment with local SSA, she would have started process 5 months before her birthday month instead of 3 months. COVID has changed the rules, and again SSA is doing a lousy job of communicating this.

3. SSA reps are still using pre-COVID estimates for processing times. They are off by a factor of at least 2X.

4. When SSA communication inform you to have a marriage certificate available at an interview, they are still assuming that all interviews are in person (pre-COVID). This communication is meaningless for interview over a telephone. They should have informed us that they would need to make a copy of the original. It turns out that we could have provided the original to the local SSA prior to July 1 interview.

5. Except for scheduling an appointment for interview with local office, contacting SSA national office is mostly useless. The enrollment process does not begin until local office initiates it, and anything you do with national has to be repeated with local. OTOH, lots of luck trying to get through to your local office. Ours never answered the phone.

P.S. - There is nothing unusual about our marriage. We have been married 40+ years, and both of us are from generations of American citizens.

My wife utterly dreads having to deal with Medicare, to the point that she wishes that she could waive it.

Could you call your local office to speak with the supervisor of the agent processing your wife case? We were almost with the same situation as yours (I was on Medicare two years ago and my wife applied last year based on my record). We were trading phone tags with the agent for several week as the agent did not return our calls/messages. Finally (3 days before her supposed Medicare starting day), we got through with the agent supervisor and he approved the case on the spot and got her Medicare # the same day. So try it before the end of day to see if it works for you and good luck!

Could you call your local office to speak with the supervisor of the agent processing your wife case? We were almost with the same situation as yours (I was on Medicare two years ago and my wife applied last year based on my record). We were trading phone tags with the agent for several week as the agent did not return our calls/messages. Finally (3 days before her supposed Medicare starting day), we got through with the agent supervisor and he approved the case on the spot and got her Medicare # the same day. So try it before the end of day to see if it works for you and good luck!

We'd love to be able to talk to someone at local office, or even be able to leave a message, but local office never answers. Every time the call is forwarded to national line. We live in a large metro area with 1 SSA office that serves an entire county of over 2M residents. Office is overwhelmed which is likely reason for delay in approving her application.

I haven't tried it for Medicare issues, but my congressman's office was very helpful with IRS issues and indicated that they have employees who deal with SS and Medicare issues. Probably too late for the OP, but might be workaround for others.

As a follow up, my wife went to local SSA office today to find out why she did not receive her Medicare number by August 1 in spite of assurances from numerous agents that she would. After multi-hour wait, she spoke to an agent, which we'll refer to as Agent #2 to distinguish from Agent #1 who wife talked to on July 1. Agent #2 pulls wife's record and sees Agent #1 had tried to complete my wife's enrollment application on July 14, but system had generated an error. Apparently, when this happens, agent has to complete application manually. Agent #2 opens chat with Agent #1 to request status. Agent #1 informs Agent #2 that no action on enrollment application since July 14 attempt, but would start manual process today. It could take up to 10 days before number assigned. Agent #2 closes chat then gives my wife the extension of Agent #1 and tells wife to call Agent #1 in 2-3 days to check status. Apparently, Agent #2 had no faith in Agent #1. No explanation as to why Agent #1 waited until July 14 before entering application into system; nor why Agent #1 did not commence manual process as soon as system generated an error on July 14.

The problem with calling agent extension is that caller has to get into local automated system where extension can be dialed. We've had no success getting that far when calling local office. All calls have been redirected to national number immediately. I expect wife to be back at office again next week.

I feel your pain. I retired in January 2009, and since I was over 65, I already had Part A. The previous December, I had enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Program with Blue Shield.

I got a welcome letter from them, and in January went to the SSA office to file paperwork showing my company health coverage would end 31 January.
I called Blue Shield to check on my status, and they told me it was rejected.
The reason was it was past the date you could switch your coverage, and the computer kept kicking it out. The fact I never had coverage apparently was irrelevant.

It took a supervisor 3 months to straighten it out. I asked what would happen if I had to go in the hospital? She assured me I would be covered. I thought, yes, and I have a bridge to sell.

I had SS/Medicare issues a few years ago and could not get it resolved through the normal channels after months of trying. I got in touch with my US Congressman's office about the problem, had to fill out a form and talked to someone in the Congressman's office and they had the problem straightened out in less than a week. I strongly encourage the OP to get their US Congressman's office involved.

Sorry to Southern Geek, that is scary. My Medicare starts Sept. 1. I started the process in April. I signed up early with MoO. Then in May went online and signed up through SSA.gov. SSA said I did not need the phone appt. but I kept it anyway. Covid has really screwed up SS and Medicare enrollment.

I'm starting the process for DH who is 65 in December. He's already signed up with MoO for part G like me. I know it says 3 months, but I'll keep trying as long as it lets me.

After 3 days, my wife elects to go back to SSA office instead of trying to reach agent by phone. This time I accompany her. After 90 minute wait, she gets to talk to same agent she talked with earlier in the week. The agent pulls up wife's application on her system and tells wife her application has 'cleared' and she should get her Medicare card in the mail within a week. Great! Could agent provide wife with Medicare number now? Agent could not because number not yet assigned. Huh? Upon further questioning, it turned out that 'cleared' meant that local office had approved wife's application (she is now enrolled), but her Medicare Number (which is an account number) would be assigned by SSA Southeast Program Center (SEPSC) in Birmingham, AL which handles Medicare billing for Southeast Region. Agent expected account to be set up by mid-week at which time wife would be able to view her Medicare Number via her mySSA account. Agent tells wife if no number in 1 week, come back to office and ask for her. Next day, wife logs into her mySSA account and it shows her enrolled in Parts A & B. The progress bar for her application showed that it was under review at SEPSC. 2 business days after that, her application showed complete and her Medicare number was available in the Eligibility Letter posted to her account. She can now complete her applications for medigap and PDP, but neither will start until Sept. 1.

She would have been enrolled before Aug. 1 as planned, if she hadn't been so unlucky in getting an incompetent local agent to perform her enrollment on July 1. Or if the agent she talked to at National office, 3 weeks after submitting her application, had not been incompetent - assuring wife that her application was in order when system had already rejected application, and application was on pause awaiting manual input.

Back
Top Bottom