13 Reasons Why The Myers-Briggs Test Is Absolute Nonsense

I have always regarded it as a sort of "fun" thing to do.

Sort of like astrology. I was born in June, with sun sign, rising sign, and just about all possible planetary signs in Gemini - - and I am SUCH a Gemini! But really, I'm pretty sure that scientifically there is absolutely nothing to astrology. It's still fun.

Saying that one is an INTJ is more descriptive than data derived, it seems to me. I think we all can at least agree that most of the "tests" online are poorly conceived and poorly written. So who's to say that the official test is that much better? I don't suppose that is very likely. There is some value in saying that one is introverted, judgmental, and so on. These are adjectives, not magic and not science.

INTJ now and forever. Like being a Saint's fan. Took it as a jobshopper in 94, again off the internet after reading early Greaney's forum and a couple times more over the years. I know how to game and shift the answers but in my heart I'm INTJ.

And Pinky and The Brain reruns are still good.

heh heh heh - ok ok so maybe the Royals and Chiefs get some respect also. :greetings10:;)

I had the test many years ago and thought the result described me pretty well. It was free to me and I never did much with it.

I had the test many years ago and thought the result described me pretty well. It was free to me and I never did much with it.

I agree. After I was tested (INTJ of course), I read the personality description and thought "That's me!".

The only other person in our family who has been tested is a DIL and she is INTJ too. Knowing this has been a big help with communication and understanding.

We have INTJs as members here at something like 20 times the rate found in a randomly selected group. To me that's enough to say there's something to the MB.

+1. I think it is helpful in realizing that there are certain basic personality groupings with similar traits, whatever label we give them. I have a book called Do What You Are and it has helped me to realize why I liked some of my past jobs better than others.

Plus it is not just this ER/FI forum with the high degree of INTJs. I've noticed it mentioned other forums with a similar focus as well.

If there weren't basic personality types, the Dilbert cartoons and the video below would not be so funny, at least to most INTJ types:

Last edited:
I posted a MBTI thread on Cruiser's Forum which is a sailing forum owned by the same company as this forum. About 50% who responded were INTJ and INTP. They are both rare personality types in the world at large.

I purchased an ebook on INTP for $3. It really opened up the way I understand myself. With introverted thinking and extroverted perception (I think that is right) you are trying to reduce the world into its most basic parts meanwhile you notice so much about the complexity of the outside world it really creates a sense of unease. INTP's often have a sense of searching. This book was not a small read like a horoscope. I am a skeptic and question everything. In the end I learned a lot about myself.

It's funny that the INTP profile is called "the philosopher." I do have a BS in philosophy. Was I attracted to philosophy because I'm INTP or did philosophy shape me into an INTP? Probably a mix of both.

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old posting. May be better places to put this but Google brought this thread up. I took the JUNG personality test almost 20 years ago. It said I was an INTJ. For me, it was like reading a horoscope, may be applicable for everyone. There were certain parts I agreed with and others I thought were WAY off base. I printed it out and showed it to DW. Those portions I thought were not applicable, DW said "That is definitely you" Who'd of thunk! I have have taken the same same test almost every year since and it still shows I'm INTJ so I'm not so convinced that it is snake oil. YMMV.

In light trading today Skynet shares were up 1/4

I posted a MBTI thread on Cruiser's Forum which is a sailing forum owned by the same company as this forum.

This forum is owned by a company? I learn something every day.

I found the "article" idiotic containing many statements untrue. It was hard to keep reading the very first false statement, but I persevered. Regarding the very first assertion alone: MBTI work (done well) is actually based on none other than Carl Jung's well-known classification of personality types. There were several other false statements in the pseudo-writing but I'm too bored after reading it to refute them.

Nothing irks me more than click bate and entire books whose few excellent points are buried in fluff. There is just too much outstanding, relevant, and useful information out there to waste time reading what amounts to bad writing. Along those lines, I highly recommend this site for insights from some of the smartest people in investing (and perhaps life as well):

https://25iq.com/featured-individuals/

I'm surprised at your response! I just re-read the article and it seems to hold up extremely well. I found nothing even remotely questionable, and especially nothing that could possibly be construed as *false* - and most definitely not click-bait.

Speaking of Jung, the entire field of psychology is undergoing a bit of a crisis due to the issue of reproducibility/replication that has recently come up.

Psychology’s Replication Crisis Is Running Out of Excuses

I'm surprised at your response! I just re-read the article and it seems to hold up extremely well. I found nothing even remotely questionable, and especially nothing that could possibly be construed as *false* - and most definitely not click-bait.

Speaking of Jung, the entire field of psychology is undergoing a bit of a crisis due to the issue of reproducibility/replication that has recently come up.

Psychology’s Replication Crisis Is Running Out of Excuses

Just fyi, you're responding to a post made 3 1/2 years ago by a member who hasn't been active for 3 years. So I wouldn't be expecting clarification.

That's a good article, thanks for the link (yes, I know it's old). A bit repetitive, but that's okay. The main points are clear enough.

Here's another along the same lines:

"In social science, we use four standards: are the categories reliable, valid, independent, and comprehensive? For the MBTI, the evidence says not very, no, no, and not really."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/give-and-take/201309/goodbye-mbti-the-fad-won-t-die

I'm a psychologist (retired), so I know too much about personality testing. I'd never use the M-B in practice, because it doesn't meet minimal standards. I know some counselors who do, though.

It's a pop psych personality instrument on the level of "what color are you" type systems. I'm sure it can provide some interesting observations, based on how you describe yourself, but that's true of many casually developed personality schemes.

The best part of M-B is the I-E (introversion-extroversion) scale. That was one of Jung's great contributions -- rescuing introversion from Freud's characterization of it as a neurotic, defensive withdrawal. The I-E dimension has held up very well in subsequent personality research. The other scales, not so much.

The M-B benefited from very savvy marketing. It also cornered the market very early. As a result, it established a foothold in business and popular culture and, through that, got into a lot of people's consciousness.

If you look at it like you'd look at any other pop psych personality system (e.g., color types, Eneagram, etc.), and just try to glean whatever useful information you can from it, you're okay. Just don't take it to heart or as being scientific.

Last edited:
IDK , some employers might find it useful to screen out certain personalty types for exclusion.

Another benefit of FIRE someday: I’ll never be herded into any form of obligatory uncomfortable, nonsense office team-building garbage ever again, especially the MBTI and its derivatives, which are “instruments” designed to fill unnecessary retreats, employ mediocre consultants, and reinforce why any organization’s workaholics are the ones in charge. Bahumbug.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom