2010 Census Release

Htown Harry

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You were pretty darn close. Glad that Texas will be getting 4 more seats in Congress.

Nothing but luck on the guess...

I guess I'm glad for Texas at some level, but there's no joy in thinking about the Texas legislature going into session in January with redistricting as a major distraction.

140 days of sausage-making once every two years is bad enough as it is.

This NYT graphic summarizing the population change and redistricting data by state is pretty good:

Which States Will Gain or Lose Seats in Congress - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

Having lived in Texas all of my adult life, I had assumed bitterly partisan congressional redistricting fights are something that every state goes through. The Times' data show it isn't so:

• 7 states have only one representative in Congress, so there is no need to draw up districts
  • Another 6 use some sort of commission structure to draw up districts, presumably with at least some insulation from direct political influence
  • Iowa and Nebraska have their own way of doing things, apparently non-partisan
One other fact I found interesting: the only state to lose population the last 10 years was Michigan.

Back
Top Bottom