2010 Census Q's contradictory?

I don't think ERD50 will be losing sleep over the Census form. But he made a good point that if the Census is that important, better thoughts should be given to it. If everybody were just like me, not questioning the authority and just doing what he is told, keeping his mouth shut, where will we be heading?

Still have not received my form yet, but will mark it to the best of my understanding, then toss it in the mail. I prefer to take our government more seriously though.

Rant off... (was that even a rant? :) I will continue to surf the Web for RV travel tonight. Life has been good. My portfolio has regained its highest level this year. Can I post some happy smileys now?

Do you think those of us who were able to complete the census form quickly and return it are not taking our government seriously? Or that we don't contact appropriate offices with our concerns?

Do you think those of us who were able to complete the census form quickly and return it are not taking our government seriously? Or that we don't contact appropriate offices with our concerns?
May I answer your questions with another question?

That is, is it normal for some of our concerns to be regarded by other citizens as pet peeves?

My own answer is "Yes, it is!". Different people are ticked off about different things. That's how humans work! :)

Had a short discussion with my DD about race classification. The alternatives in the census form seem to be an amalgamation of different ethnic categories - biology, geography, heritage, color - and leave it up to the responder to figure out how and what to respond.

Wonder how many will put the form the wrong way into the mailing envelope.

Funny - but not humorous.

I, for one, do not take the government seriously. They've demonstrated a much greater talent for comedy.

I don't think ERD50 will be losing sleep over the Census form. But he made a good point that if the Census is that important, better thoughts should be given to it. If everybody were just like me, not questioning the authority and just doing what he is told, keeping his mouth shut, where will we be heading?

Still have not received my form yet, but will mark it to the best of my understanding, then toss it in the mail. I prefer to take our government more seriously though.

Rant off... (was that even a rant? :)

That's exactly it, slept like a baby last night. But I extend the thinking to other actions of the govt.

Do you think those of us who were able to complete the census form quickly and return it are not taking our government seriously?

Well, the govt has seriously stressed the importance of accurate data. And they've spent millions towards that end. Now, I know we've joked a bit about "if I die before April 1st", but think about it - ~ 4% of the people who die this year will expire between March 16 and April 1st. So filling out the form as soon as you get it reduces the accuracy of this census.

I, for one, do not take the government seriously. They've demonstrated a much greater talent for comedy.

Well, there is that. But I tend to stop laughing when they take the money of the responsible people I know and give it to (apparent) bums like the one featured in this thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/tax-question-eic-credit-49240.html#post915442

-ERD50

That is interesting. The biggest income tax refund of my life was a little over $2000. The only reason I got that is I had to pay a $16,000 hospital bill for a swing bed stay that my insurance didn't cover. Other than that I have never gotten over $600 for a refund. I was obviously doing something wrong, maybe the mistake was having a job.

LOL said
And youbet's advice is only partially right. Have 2 or 3 beers, then fill it out. My teenager filled it out and mailed it for us today ...

I filled out while eating dinner the other night and mailed in w/o incident.

After reading OP felt bad.

After reading LOL knew the best way to proceed.

Here's the answer to your prayers:

For complaints/concerns about the​
2010 Census and other, operations
write or e-mail to:
Associate Director for Administration
Paperwork Project #OMB-0607-0919-C
U. S. Census Bureau
Washington, DC 20233-7100
<http://www.Paperwork@census.gov>

Type “Paperwork 0607- 0919-C” in the subject line

I don't think ERD50 will be losing sleep over the Census form. But he made a good point that if the Census is that important, better thoughts should be given to it.
The irony is that more "thought" goes into this than almost anything else the Government does. This has nothing to do with a couple of incompetent bureaucrats falling down on the job. This is the result of debate, public hearings, comment reconciliation, Congressional oversight, academic disputes, and on and on. I have been involved in rule making on relatively non-controversial topics and it is a bitch. This one is a king size SOB. Just the race questions alone have been a decades long nightmare of controversy and complaint.

Of course, all of the above does support ERD's assertion that we should keep Government out of our lives where possible -- I would modify that to where possible and prudent, we do need them mucking around in universal health care ;)

Here's the answer to your prayers:

For complaints/concerns about the​
2010 Census and other, operations
write or e-mail to:
Associate Director for Administration
Paperwork Project #OMB-0607-0919-C
U. S. Census Bureau
Washington, DC 20233-7100
<http://www.Paperwork@census.gov>

Type “Paperwork 0607- 0919-C” in the subject line

Trust me, I will be taking that route also. Just looking for other people's views also.

I expect I'll get the same (lack of) satisfaction from that route as I do when I write my reps in Congress. Some blather about how my views are soooooo important to them, but really, they have thought long and hard about this, and they know what is best for me and have voted accordingly. Now, please go back to generating some tax revenue while we plan your future based on our political cronies and lobbyist needs. Thank you for your time.

Arghhhhh - ERD50

Back
Top Bottom