2012 mania

Laurence - We do have to be careful not to offend any of OUR ER forum survivalists

Wow, these people are really serious, they are debating going underground vs. living in a tent.

Yeah, and there's some issues being debated over there that we on this ER board totally ignore, such as:

"As the poles will start to shift, a compass, which normally would be a part of your survival kit, would become a useless instrument. So there goes your last mechanical navigation-instrument. How are we going to move about? Is the sun still rising in the east when the poles shifted? Or rather in the northeast or southeast?"

And

"You CANNOT outrun a morphing EM Field... "

So much for my running program.

I gotta start posting on that board, that's good stuff
uglystupid2.gif

Not even when you run serpentine?

Theres another board worthy of a little trolling. I think my username will be "morlock"...

Now how can you pass up a board with forums called

Pink & Fluffy Enlightenment in 2012

or

Dragons & Unicorns - Did they really exist?

And it might be unwise to question Shu...he's a moderator after all.

Their current logged in users are:

Yahoo SLURP, Googlebot and MSN.

Apparently they're good enough for advertising and spam.

I had to force myself to stop reading, it was fascinating! One poster stated, (paraphrase)"well, the general populace just doesn't get it, too busy with their humdrum lives to pay attention. We'd hope that more people would be intelligent and enlightened but sadly that isn't the case". Now that comment had some similarities to posts here! I wonder if there are forums about living for today or not saving that read our board and mock us:confused:

Yeah, it opens up a lot of possibilities. We can probably up the SWR to 10% or so.

I have this image of a middle aged Mayan calendar maker, slaving away at calendars that ran to the year 3000. He gets to Dec 21 2012 and says "screw it, I'm retiring."

Thats probably how it went but you can bet the media is going to turn it into another Y2K fiasco
The Mayans never predicted an end of the world event they just stopped making calendars that went beyond 2012

Thats probably how it went but you can bet the media is going to turn it into another Y2K fiasco
The Mayans never predicted an end of the world event they just stopped making calendars that went beyond 2012

Not entirely true. I was in Mexico earlier this year and went to see the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza. The tour guide explained the different calendars the Mayans used. The long count calendar is the one that predicts what some interpret as the the end of the world in 2012.

Maya calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

..... Now that comment had some similarities to posts here! I wonder if there are forums about living for today or not saving that read our board and mock us:confused:
...sounds like Bizarro World...and they have bizarro versions of the ER Forum members......
maddybeagle = HangonSlurpy
Bunny = Morlock
Nords = Sdron
dantien = Shu
Laurence = ?
?

Last edited:
Coast to Coast

This radio program has been talking about 2012 for a couple of years now. They were really into Y2K also. Whatever is weird they pursue.

Heinlein's Future History

Besides the Myan Long-Count calendar, the Shiete Islamic mystics also see the end of the world in 2012 ... which is unfortunately co-incident with certain extreme fundamentalist Jewish & Christian groups who also predict 'the end time' in 2012.

Robert Hienlein, in his 'future history,' wrote a novella in which a 'backwoods evangelical preacher,' Nemiah Scudder, was elected as President (only 34% of popular vote, but, as pre-arranged, with 84% of electoral votes), in the 2012 election. Within a matter of days, emergency Presidential Executive Orders were implemented (these already exist) which suspended the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, Habeus Corpus, etc., 'for the duration of the emergency.' There were nome elections, ever again. Scudder then instituted fashistic dictatorial-theocratic rule ('gimme dat ol'-time-religion'), where, if you weren't a WASP New Puritan, you weren't anybody.

Check out his book (still available from Amazon), titled Revolt in 2100. I was published in 1950 or so, I believe.

Of course, it's just a novel ...

I think my trolling strategy is nearly complete. I will pose as a woman who wants education in this 2012 situation, preferably from an expert who will immediately take me underground.

I'll use booblady as my avatar.

I think that people like that end of the world stuff because then they don't have to take responsibility for anything because it will be meaningless. I know people who are into the Rapture who won't plan for the future because it won't matter.

Oh, showing my age again.

1950s: Cold War and Communist threat to end "way of life"

1960s - early 70s: Soviet threat. Kids used to do air raid drills in school and had bomb shelters both in public buildings and in private homes

1980s: Nuclear winter and the age of dried food storage. Survivalists with recurring "great crash" scenarios.

1999: Y2K and the end of all computers and machines

2012: New one I hadn't heard about this before

2038: Geekier version of Y2K

2042: Official bankrupt date for Social Security.

2075: Approximate bankrupt date for Social Security using common plans to "fix" it

There must be some deep seated need to prepare for and fend off disasters and the end of the world. Maybe it would have been a useful strategy in earlier times or in reponse to harsh living conditions. I seem to recall that a number of famous cults used that as part of their organizing principles as well. Hey, I'm even willing to take some precautions against unforseen expenses when planning my FIRE and risk oversaving.

January 19, 2038 is when the sh!t really hits the fan.

Year 2038 problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So yeah, it's a fun one in UNIX circles, but I'm willing to bet this won't be a problem. Just think of what computers were like 31 years ago. And mentioning that some computers built in 1969 were in use at Y2K doesn't support the argument considering what a bust that "problem" was. :p

One poster stated, (paraphrase)"well, the general populace just doesn't get it, too busy with their humdrum lives to pay attention. We'd hope that more people would be intelligent and enlightened but sadly that isn't the case". Now that comment had some similarities to posts here! I wonder if there are forums about living for today or not saving that read our board and mock us:confused:
Well, the "underground or tents" debate was making me think of Ted Kaczynski posting from his prison's legal library, but this quote is more reminiscint of H0cus...

31 years ago - that would be 1976. Umm, Bill Gates was complaining about people pirating his software. What exactly has changed since then? :)

Open Letter to Hobbyists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I blurred now and Y2K, I did mean 1969 though. 31 years before the last computer disaster date.

Well, everything has changed except for Bill Gates complaining about piracy. Well, and computers still need electricity...binary is still king? How about we bet 1% of our portfolio in year 2038 that this won't be an issue. :) Isolated incidents aside. :D

I think my trolling strategy is nearly complete. I will pose as a woman who wants education in this 2012 situation, preferably from an expert who will immediately take me underground.

I'll use booblady as my avatar.

For an expert, you might want to ask "star child," who is the binary star returned in human form. He knows what will happen on 21 Dec 2012, and the new center of space and time will be Australia. I'm OK with that. At least the new center of space and time won't be Cleveland.

If star child doesn't help you, you could ask the Federal Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Utah who posts as "2007." He's going to post details of a top secret trial of 2012 believers. As others quickly point out, this is just another vile example of our police state.

Good luck booblady and remember don't try to outrun the morphing EM field.

By the way, as the poster "Raphael" notes, if you graph the atmospheric Attenuation of EM fields, and compare it with the projected price of gold to the year 2012, you find that the reverse EM field graph fills in the gaps in the gold price perfectly! Which makes sense since, as the poster notes, gold is a great conductor and the EM field is partly electric. I always wondered about that, now I know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom