Medicare Medigap and Part D provider selection - A Medicare Newby's path

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The Learning Curve – Clawing Up, Sliding Down
I started the Medicare learning process just over a year in advance. Glad I did. Started with the Medicare website Medicare.gov. All sorts of info locked away there, but I didn’t know what I didn’t know. Their simple Medicare primer left me with a lot of questions. And I was not retaining what I read over time.

I acquired a good cheap book Get What’s Yours for Medicareby Philip Moeller, hardcover $10.97 on Amazon. The book is very good, read it slowly from cover to cover. The layout of chapters is great, made it easy to go back to locate and re-read particular parts whenever I needed to over time (often!). The author writes it from a what’s important to the user position.

Then, fortified with some knowledge, I thought could ask people in-person about what THEY did. I asked people I knew over 65, I asked poll workers sitting there bored with no voters at early voting (primary and run-off elections), etc. ZERO useful information gained. One person was honest, said “I really have no idea”. Others had such a fleeting incorrect knowledge it was scary. I started out trying to determine whether they went the Original Medicare route, or the Medicare Advantage (MA) route. Even when I described the two alternatives, they had no clue. Mentioning particular trigger names to see if it would help them remember, I got choices back and forth that were impossible, they dithered with nonsense. They really didn’t know anything. One guy got crabby, started complaining about “why are they changing the (Medicare ID) numbers to some random number?! I can’t remember that!” A total wipeout. The only useful info I got from ANY people were virtual people, the users here at E-R.org!

The Fork in the Road – We must choose a path
Whether to go the “Original Medicare” route: Medicare Part A and B + a “Medigap Plan” + a “Part D Drug Plan”.
or,
A “Medicare Advantage” (MA) Plan: you pay a Part B premium to the gov (they act as collection agent for that premium), the gov takes that $, adds lots more $$$, all totaling up around $10k per person per year on MA, and they hand it over to your MA plan provider, who may(should!) have their own premium you pay too. You deal with the MA plan provider, you live by their rules. Usually has the drug coverage built-in. May have other “benefits” in addition.

I chose to go the “Original Medicare” route, so the rest of my monolog will be about how I chose a Medigap plan, and a Part D drug plan.

Before I Forget – No special state rules here
I live in a state (TX) that, like most states, does not have some state-only rules, like the “birthday rule”, or taste it and put it back on the shelf if you don’t like it.

Choosing a Medigap Plan – Which letter?
The book and other sources had the same grid from medicare, that shows the various plans F, G, N, etc. versus the areas covered. The book had a bit more text info. I did some paper layout calculations of F vs. F-HD vs. G, looking at the yearly premium amounts (I used AARP/UHC for F & G, for F-HD I used a ~number I found here). I then added scenarios of various increasing steps of expenses in both Part A hospital and Part B. I really wanted to get a feeling of Plan F-HD versus Plan G. I forced myself to think a bit about future medical expenses, not using my low $ pretty-healthy past experience. I decided that for me into the future, Plan G was best.

Plan G – Whose?
AARP/UHC is free and forthcoming with premium cost at your zipcode at www.AARPMedSupp.com. At least at the time I was looking, I could also download a table with premium cost per letter plan vs age, so I could get an idea about premiums into the future. Inflation is not included, that can change every year. So this gave me a baseline. No other insurers had cost info online, they all were “fill out this form, and a licensed insurance agent will call you”. Ugh!

I have not seen anything bad about AARP/UHC, so if I couldn’t get anywhere, I figured they were a safe choice. But I wondered… being a safe choice, and with AARP membership, it seemed so easy to just do it and be done. Is that “easy to do” figured into the pricing? I really wanted to compare other ins. Cos. Plan G’s to AARP/UHC, but how? Our user MBSC here provided a great source. A website I could pay by month to get into, to see what ins. agents see. So for 1 month I signed up at CSGActuarial.com. I paid the $10 basic for one state, mine. I could have paid a bit more and got more info, like previous premium increase history, in retrospect that might have been worthwhile. Remember to send them an email to cancel service before the next billing date after your month is up. I actually got 6 weeks service for the $10.

Wow, were there the choices! Data data! And you set your parameters, zipcode, plan letter, sex, age, etc. etc. and run it again and again changing parameters to see. I sorted by lowest premium cost. I made on a ruled pad columns for: Company name/plan, AM Best Rating, age 65, 70, 75, 80, date of last increase. Then I filled in each company’s row with all the info. I looked at Wikipedia to learn about AM Best ratings, the capability of an ins. Co. to pay their claims over time. I decided of the A++, A+ Superior; A, A- Excellent; B++, B+ Good, I would not look below a B++. I also would note where some biggies like AARP/UHC, Aetna, BCBS fell. At the time, BCBS TX was at $146/mo. For G, so I set that at the top. Yes, there were many that were WAY WAY over that! Some so expensive I don’t know who would use them!

So I picked out about 15 companies. In general, lower starting premium at 65 carried out to lower premium in every age step (I did this every 5 years, remember). I searched some of the companies I never heard of, some were pretty small, and some of those I found poor comments online for from customers, also saw some “this is a terrible place to work, and why“ from ex-employees! Also heard of “buying the market”, where an insurer may come out with a product, sell it low to get a whole group of customers, and then jack up the rates “caught you, sucka!” So I needed to be careful of bottom feeding on premium alone. I came up with a list of at least 6 that met my qualifiers, AND were significantly enough below AARP/UHC at the start and over time to make it worthwhile.

Now Fortified, I can ask for Help
Now that I wasn’t a babe in the woods anymore, I felt I could go to an independent online agency, and see what they came up with. Here on E-R.org I had seen SeniorSavingsNetwork.ORG (Chris Westfall in SC) mentioned with good report. I also found lots of good reviews online for BoomerBenefits.com, a local here in TX. And there may be others. I got info on one in the US Mail that was local and mentioned multiple rates for my zipcode range, but did not specify a company in the mailing, call. I set up a call with BoomerBenefits, it went well, unhurried, could answer all my questions, and unprompted, they suggested one I was already looking at as being very high on my list, United World, a Mutual of Omaha company. I did NOT know that UW’s HH (House Hold) discount was, to me, unusual. At least one adult, not more than 3, living with you. Does not have to be someone on Medicare with them. Need to ID who the person is, easy for me, it’s DW. Discount is good as long as that person is there. If spouse, and if spouse later dies, still retain the discount. That was a 12% discount, dropping the premium further. Other discounts I have seen for companies, were 5%, 7%, and some 12%. I do not know all their rules for the discounts. So with UW/Omaha, my age 65 premium is $116, vs. ~136 area for AARP/UHC. BB told me that UW/Omaha’s past increases have been low. So I signed up.

Part D Drug Plan
Well, for me, this one was simple. I’m not on any prescription meds, and since we can change Part D’s every year for any reason, I just need a placeholder. I was looking at Express Scripts cheapest plan, BB suggested Aetna Medicare Rx Saver for $16 and some change, went with them.

Conclusion
Overall, I feel good about the eventual choices. Of course, time will tell. And to be completely eyes-open, I do know that many ins. cos. routinely give insurance agents certain inducements to sell their product, just like drug companies with Doctors and the drugs they prescribe. So any independent agency may have some selection tilt.

Telly, excellent post. You appear to have hit every decision point armed with the information you needed to make an educated choice.

FWIW, Boomer Benefits also recommended United World (Mutual of Omaha) for our supplement a few months ago. If nothing else, that shows consistency - or maybe MoO offers higher commissions... :)

Excellent post. This is the first I've heard of a house hold discount, though it makes sense.

Excellent information. Thank you.

Thanks so much Telly! That was really helpful! Thanks so much for all those details.

DH becomes Medicare eligible in about a year and a half. So I've been paying attention. We are also in TX. Plan F will be no more, so plan G seems likely.

I read somewhere here that UW/Omaha was one of the biggest Medigap providers? But I never otherwise really here about them. Was your choice mainly based on price, or did you have some other criteria?

In TX are Medigap plans community rated or age rated? Or does it depend on the Medigap provider?

The Learning Curve – Clawing Up, Sliding Down
I started the Medicare learning process just over a year in advance. Glad I did. Started with the Medicare website Medicare.gov. All sorts of info locked away there, but I didn’t know what I didn’t know. Their simple Medicare primer left me with a lot of questions. And I was not retaining what I read over time.

I acquired a good cheap book Get What’s Yours for Medicareby Philip Moeller, hardcover $10.97 on Amazon. The book is very good, read it slowly from cover to cover. The layout of chapters is great, made it easy to go back to locate and re-read particular parts whenever I needed to over time (often!). The author writes it from a what’s important to the user position.

Then, fortified with some knowledge, I thought could ask people in-person about what THEY did. I asked people I knew over 65, I asked poll workers sitting there bored with no voters at early voting (primary and run-off elections), etc. ZERO useful information gained. One person was honest, said “I really have no idea”. Others had such a fleeting incorrect knowledge it was scary. I started out trying to determine whether they went the Original Medicare route, or the Medicare Advantage (MA) route. Even when I described the two alternatives, they had no clue. Mentioning particular trigger names to see if it would help them remember, I got choices back and forth that were impossible, they dithered with nonsense. They really didn’t know anything. One guy got crabby, started complaining about “why are they changing the (Medicare ID) numbers to some random number?! I can’t remember that!” A total wipeout. The only useful info I got from ANY people were virtual people, the users here at E-R.org!

The Fork in the Road – We must choose a path
Whether to go the “Original Medicare” route: Medicare Part A and B + a “Medigap Plan” + a “Part D Drug Plan”.
or,
A “Medicare Advantage” (MA) Plan: you pay a Part B premium to the gov (they act as collection agent for that premium), the gov takes that $, adds lots more $$$, all totaling up around $10k per person per year on MA, and they hand it over to your MA plan provider, who may(should!) have their own premium you pay too. You deal with the MA plan provider, you live by their rules. Usually has the drug coverage built-in. May have other “benefits” in addition.

I chose to go the “Original Medicare” route, so the rest of my monolog will be about how I chose a Medigap plan, and a Part D drug plan.

Before I Forget – No special state rules here
I live in a state (TX) that, like most states, does not have some state-only rules, like the “birthday rule”, or taste it and put it back on the shelf if you don’t like it.

Choosing a Medigap Plan – Which letter?
The book and other sources had the same grid from medicare, that shows the various plans F, G, N, etc. versus the areas covered. The book had a bit more text info. I did some paper layout calculations of F vs. F-HD vs. G, looking at the yearly premium amounts (I used AARP/UHC for F & G, for F-HD I used a ~number I found here). I then added scenarios of various increasing steps of expenses in both Part A hospital and Part B. I really wanted to get a feeling of Plan F-HD versus Plan G. I forced myself to think a bit about future medical expenses, not using my low $ pretty-healthy past experience. I decided that for me into the future, Plan G was best.

Plan G – Whose?
AARP/UHC is free and forthcoming with premium cost at your zipcode at www.AARPMedSupp.com. At least at the time I was looking, I could also download a table with premium cost per letter plan vs age, so I could get an idea about premiums into the future. Inflation is not included, that can change every year. So this gave me a baseline. No other insurers had cost info online, they all were “fill out this form, and a licensed insurance agent will call you”. Ugh!

I have not seen anything bad about AARP/UHC, so if I couldn’t get anywhere, I figured they were a safe choice. But I wondered… being a safe choice, and with AARP membership, it seemed so easy to just do it and be done. Is that “easy to do” figured into the pricing? I really wanted to compare other ins. Cos. Plan G’s to AARP/UHC, but how? Our user MBSC here provided a great source. A website I could pay by month to get into, to see what ins. agents see. So for 1 month I signed up at CSGActuarial.com. I paid the $10 basic for one state, mine. I could have paid a bit more and got more info, like previous premium increase history, in retrospect that might have been worthwhile. Remember to send them an email to cancel service before the next billing date after your month is up. I actually got 6 weeks service for the $10.

Wow, were there the choices! Data data! And you set your parameters, zipcode, plan letter, sex, age, etc. etc. and run it again and again changing parameters to see. I sorted by lowest premium cost. I made on a ruled pad columns for: Company name/plan, AM Best Rating, age 65, 70, 75, 80, date of last increase. Then I filled in each company’s row with all the info. I looked at Wikipedia to learn about AM Best ratings, the capability of an ins. Co. to pay their claims over time. I decided of the A++, A+ Superior; A, A- Excellent; B++, B+ Good, I would not look below a B++. I also would note where some biggies like AARP/UHC, Aetna, BCBS fell. At the time, BCBS TX was at $146/mo. For G, so I set that at the top. Yes, there were many that were WAY WAY over that! Some so expensive I don’t know who would use them!

So I picked out about 15 companies. In general, lower starting premium at 65 carried out to lower premium in every age step (I did this every 5 years, remember). I searched some of the companies I never heard of, some were pretty small, and some of those I found poor comments online for from customers, also saw some “this is a terrible place to work, and why“ from ex-employees! Also heard of “buying the market”, where an insurer may come out with a product, sell it low to get a whole group of customers, and then jack up the rates “caught you, sucka!” So I needed to be careful of bottom feeding on premium alone. I came up with a list of at least 6 that met my qualifiers, AND were significantly enough below AARP/UHC at the start and over time to make it worthwhile.

Now Fortified, I can ask for Help
Now that I wasn’t a babe in the woods anymore, I felt I could go to an independent online agency, and see what they came up with. Here on E-R.org I had seen SeniorSavingsNetwork.ORG (Chris Westfall in SC) mentioned with good report. I also found lots of good reviews online for BoomerBenefits.com, a local here in TX. And there may be others. I got info on one in the US Mail that was local and mentioned multiple rates for my zipcode range, but did not specify a company in the mailing, call. I set up a call with BoomerBenefits, it went well, unhurried, could answer all my questions, and unprompted, they suggested one I was already looking at as being very high on my list, United World, a Mutual of Omaha company. I did NOT know that UW’s HH (House Hold) discount was, to me, unusual. At least one adult, not more than 3, living with you. Does not have to be someone on Medicare with them. Need to ID who the person is, easy for me, it’s DW. Discount is good as long as that person is there. If spouse, and if spouse later dies, still retain the discount. That was a 12% discount, dropping the premium further. Other discounts I have seen for companies, were 5%, 7%, and some 12%. I do not know all their rules for the discounts. So with UW/Omaha, my age 65 premium is $116, vs. ~136 area for AARP/UHC. BB told me that UW/Omaha’s past increases have been low. So I signed up.

Part D Drug Plan
Well, for me, this one was simple. I’m not on any prescription meds, and since we can change Part D’s every year for any reason, I just need a placeholder. I was looking at Express Scripts cheapest plan, BB suggested Aetna Medicare Rx Saver for $16 and some change, went with them.

Conclusion
Overall, I feel good about the eventual choices. Of course, time will tell. And to be completely eyes-open, I do know that many ins. cos. routinely give insurance agents certain inducements to sell their product, just like drug companies with Doctors and the drugs they prescribe. So any independent agency may have some selection tilt.

I went through a somewhat different process, albeit spending about as much time as you did. I was not familiar with the book you referenced, or I would have picked up a copy. Like you, I asked everyone I knew what they had and how they liked it. Not much help. I could not use either of those agencies, as I was required to use Via Benefits. Not being as concerned about cost, as the pension system pays a subsidy for these plans, I ultimately went with the tried and true UHC plan. I considered the Blue Shield Plan F Extra, but had difficulty understanding the consequences of selecting that product. The cheap Aetna drug plan got my business, as I only take one prescription drug and there is no copay for 2019. I expect to change drug plans next year, as Aetna's Part D business is being acquired by WellCare.

I have received nothing yet except a generic welcome e-mail from Aetna welcoming me to their Medicare plans and a charge on the credit card for the AARP membership. There was a temporary number in the Aetna e-mail. I was told by the Via Benefits person that it's five weeks typically for cards to arrive in the mail.

The average consumer is either unable or unwilling to put in the effort we did. People often end up with bad choices that were sold to them. There needs to be a better way.

+ whatever number...

I still have a few years but am starting the learning process early...

This seems to be the way I will be going when I get there...

Definitely an outstanding contribution to the Forum!

One Plan D wrinkle I have learned by experience is to be sure to check coverage for the recommended but infrequent vaccines like the new shingles shot (shingrix). For us the shingrix has a copay of $150-160/shot-2 required for both DW (Aetna) and me (Humana Walmart). Choosing the Silver Scripts Plus option, I will get about an increase of about $80/yr bump for both of us, but will cut the cost in half.
We will wait to get our shots till next year to make the savings. The no deductible from Silver Scripts is also a big plus since the above two plans we currently have require a $320 (Aetna) and 415/yr Humana) deducible before they pay anything.

Got a letter from Aetna today, thanking me for applying for their prescription drug plan. Two areas of concern from that letter. First, and I already knew this, they can change the formulary at any time. Second, is that they will not in most situations pay for any drugs not on their formulary.

I suspect this is true for all prescription drug plans, but I would like to confirm that. It sounds like the insurance companies can decide not to put new, expensive drugs on their formulary even if they work better than other cheaper drugs. Or, if the drug company raises the price, they can delete a drug with 60 days notice to the customer/patient. Has anyone encountered a problem with a Part D plan like this?

From my sister who has an advantage plan...

Ask when you go to get your prescriptions... she needed some eye medicine when she was up north and her plan 'paid' for one but did not pay anything for the other... so $50 for the one and $150 for the second...

But pharmacist said they had passed a law (to go into effect in 2 weeks though) that allowed him to tell patients info on other options... he said if she paid out of her plan the first one was $5 and the second was a bit over $50...

So even if in your plan make sure to ask if there is a cheaper way to get what you want!!!

Thanks for all the thanks! :)

....I read somewhere here that UW/Omaha was one of the biggest Medigap providers? But I never otherwise really here about them. Was your choice mainly based on price, or did you have some other criteria?
I had heard about UW/Omaha before, and found out that they are selling Medigap under 3 different MoO names, United World being one of them. Some research showed that they are trying to have only one MoO derivative operating in a state. UW is the one chosen for Texas.

Some of the other criteria I looked at was how many years in the supplement business, 14 years, AM Best rating of A+ and stable (all per CGSActuarial). Also, I did not find any badmouthing of them. While I was trying to figure all this out, in the incredible deluge of mail I have gotten, was a UW/Omaha letter that had rates for my zipcode area. With CGSActuarial, I was able to get the $ to line up that what they had in the letter was standard rate with a 5% discount applied (not that they told me that in the letter). The fact that they sent me actual rates in the mail was interesting, but that did not sway my selection, though I did feel a bit more kindly towards them because they did, unlike all the others except AARP/UHC.
In TX are Medigap plans community rated or age rated? Or does it depend on the Medigap provider?
It depends on the provider. All I have seen are Age Rated, except for AARP/UHC which is Community Rated. C-R is really rare. AARP/UHC is Community Rated, but has an age-derived discount structure laid over it to reduce the bad effects of Community Rating. A purely C-R deal would have any age any sex all the same price. To cover the actual needs of all, that price would be pretty high for a 65 YOA entrant, which would price them out of the "younger" market. So they add a discount structure to the invisible "Standard" rate. Here is what AARP/UHC says about it:
This is for AARP/UHC: The Enrollment Discount is available to applicants age 65 to 76. You may qualify for an Enrollment Discount based on your age and your Medicare Part B effective date.
The Enrollment Discount is applied to the current Standard Rate. The Standard Rates usually change each year. The discount you receive in your first year of coverage depends on your age on your plan effective date. The discount percentage reduces 3% each year on the anniversary date of your plan until the discount runs out.
So for age 77+, the discount has run out, and premiums no longer increase with age (do still increase with any inflation).

AARP/UHC also have a higher pricing structure for those who try to join them years later:
Applies to individuals whose plan effective date will be ten or more years following their 65th birthday or Medicare Part B effective date, if later.Rates for individuals ages 75 and older whose acceptance is guaranteed or who do not have any of the medical conditions on the application
I didn't look at it in CGSActurial, but I wouldn't be surprised that the plans I tentatively picked out would become more expensive than AARP/UHC at some well over 80 YOA crossover point. I do not expect to live to 80, so it was a don't care for me. AT age 80, there was still headroom between the pack and AARP/UHC.

Excellent!! +100 Thank you.
+101. I’ll be signing up and choosing next Feb, so I find your summary helpful Telly. Thanks for taking the time to write and share.

I’ve found the same asking other random seniors, a mix of confusion and misinformation. Most don’t know what plan they have or what the other options are. First person I asked told me in no uncertain terms that I wanted MA. When I asked then about Medigap, specifically plan F, G or N - I got the German Shepard head tilt...no clue.

Last edited:
M

Thanks for all the thanks! :)

I had heard about UW/Omaha before, and found out that they are selling Medigap under 3 different MoO names, United World being one of them. Some research showed that they are trying to have only one MoO derivative operating in a state. UW is the one chosen for Texas.

Some of the other criteria I looked at was how many years in the supplement business, 14 years, AM Best rating of A+ and stable (all per CGSActuarial). Also, I did not find any badmouthing of them. While I was trying to figure all this out, in the incredible deluge of mail I have gotten, was a UW/Omaha letter that had rates for my zipcode area. With CGSActuarial, I was able to get the $ to line up that what they had in the letter was standard rate with a 5% discount applied (not that they told me that in the letter). The fact that they sent me actual rates in the mail was interesting, but that did not sway my selection, though I did feel a bit more kindly towards them because they did, unlike all the others except AARP/UHC.
It depends on the provider. All I have seen are Age Rated, except for AARP/UHC which is Community Rated. C-R is really rare. AARP/UHC is Community Rated, but has an age-derived discount structure laid over it to reduce the bad effects of Community Rating. A purely C-R deal would have any age any sex all the same price. To cover the actual needs of all, that price would be pretty high for a 65 YOA entrant, which would price them out of the "younger" market. So they add a discount structure to the invisible "Standard" rate. Here is what AARP/UHC says about it:
So for age 77+, the discount has run out, and premiums no longer increase with age (do still increase with any inflation).

AARP/UHC also have a higher pricing structure for those who try to join them years later:
I didn't look at it in CGSActurial, but I wouldn't be surprised that the plans I tentatively picked out would become more expensive than AARP/UHC at some well over 80 YOA crossover point. I do not expect to live to 80, so it was a don't care for me. AT age 80, there was still headroom between the pack and AARP/UHC.
Thanks again for your complete and detailed answers!

Two areas of concern from that letter. First, and I already knew this, they can change the formulary at any time. Second, is that they will not in most situations pay for any drugs not on their formulary.

I suspect this is true for all prescription drug plans, but I would like to confirm that.
You pay out of pocket for inexpensive drugs not on the formulary. For expensive drugs, the prescribing doctor can submit a formulary exception request to have the drug covered for a particular member. The request does not have to be approved. It's no different than if the drug was not on the formulary of your under 65 health plan.

It sounds like the insurance companies can decide not to put new, expensive drugs on their formulary even if they work better than other cheaper drugs. Or, if the drug company raises the price, they can delete a drug with 60 days notice to the customer/patient.
I assume you had drug coverage under a group or retiree health plan. Concerns about formulary size and changes were equally applicable to it. This is not unique to Part D.

Good info. I have bookmarked the page to dig deeper next spring. I'm pretty sure I will go with plan G and go with the cheapest drug plan available just to have something in place.

Telly, excellent write-up.

Like you I started researching early so by the time DW signed up near the end of 2017 I was fairly certain of my choices to make for her. Like you, we used boomerbenefits.com and here in Indiana it was Plan G from Continental Life of Brentwood, TN, (Aetna), that was the recommended choice so they don't always default to their preferred company.

The person at BB wasn't registered in Indiana to sign DW up with Aetna so he said he would take care of getting the necessary registration and get back to us. Within a short period he sent an email that he could now proceed to get DW signed up and we set up a time to complete the sign up process. We also used BB to sign up for Part D and then used them again to review and make a Part D plan change for the upcoming year.

I’ve found the same asking other random seniors, a mix of confusion and misinformation. Most don’t know what plan they have or what the other options are. First person I asked told me in no uncertain terms that I wanted MA. When I asked then about Medigap, specifically plan F, G or N - I got the German Shepard head tilt...no clue.

+1

A number of people I know who retired about the same time I did, had a very simple evaluation method. Identify Medicare Advantage plan that required the smallest monthly payment and sign up for that one.

AARP UHC Released their prices for 2019 for our area. Plan G is now $166pm in our County. I just signed up using BoomerBenefits.com. The rep I used was great and helpful. I would definitely recommend them.

Telly-- thank you for the information!
We are a few years away, however, Medicare seems pretty complex so I am starting my education early. The book and websites you posted will be useful.

Telly - I actually wrote a fairly detailed response to your post when my response would have been the first one. I thought I submitted it but I must not have as it isn't here!

Anyway - I am about to go on Medicare in April of 2019 in Texas so I was very interested and am planning to do Plan G. DH has AARP/UHC Plan F and is happy with it. But I am concerned that with new entrants soon not being added to Plan F that it will increase too much in cost. Maybe not, but it is easy enough to avoid that issue by going with Plan G.

I am curious what the other 5 companies were that made the cut for you to look at other than United World. Could you list those?

I have to buy my medigap plan through ViaBenefits to get it reimbursed by my HRA from DH's prior employer so I probably won't go with AARP/UHC as they don't include that. But I want to do the best that I can from the ones they offer.

I looked back at Via Benefits plans offered in partnership with the pension system. There are only 5 Plan G companies.

AARP/UHC
Anthem Blue Cross
Cigna
Humana through Willis Towers Watson
Blue Shield of CA

Two more companies for Plan F/Plan F Extra/Innovative Plan F
AARP/UHC
Humana through Willis Towers Watson
Blue Shield CA
Anthem Blue Cross
HealthNet
Cigna
Aetna

Not a broad selection, but easier to administer, I guess. Offerings probably vary by employer, so YMMV.

Telly - I actually wrote a fairly detailed response to your post when my response would have been the first one. I thought I submitted it but I must not have as it isn't here!

Anyway - I am about to go on Medicare in April of 2019 in Texas so I was very interested and am planning to do Plan G. DH has AARP/UHC Plan F and is happy with it. But I am concerned that with new entrants soon not being added to Plan F that it will increase too much in cost. Maybe not, but it is easy enough to avoid that issue by going with Plan G.

I am curious what the other 5 companies were that made the cut for you to look at other than United World. Could you list those?

I have to buy my medigap plan through ViaBenefits to get it reimbursed by my HRA from DH's prior employer so I probably won't go with AARP/UHC as they don't include that. But I want to do the best that I can from the ones they offer.

AARP/UHC is new to Plan G. You might want to revisit the selections as you get closer to enrollment or call Via Benefits to see if they intend to add AARP's Plan G.

So, talked to one of my sisters who signed up last year and she said she heard from a number of people that plan G is..... GUN..

IOW, get a gun and shoot a legislator for all the complexity they created...

Back
Top Bottom