87 year old Salsa dancer

Wow - thanks for sharing!

Thats what I plan to do for exercise when I get older - a lot of dancing!

Audrey

Very cool. For a less schooled types of performances, by the people who created the dance that became salsa when some New York record company created the name and began promoting it, check out this clip from a 2006 movie about a Cuban Dance Hall, La Tropical.

I saw it back then at the Seatle International Film Festival. A 76 yo woman in the film appears breafly on this clip- she is said to have attended a performances at this club every weekend since it opened years ago.

LA TROPICAL

Those are beautiful clips, Cattusbabe. Robert Duvall is pretty darn good for one of us old gringos. A lot better tango dancer than I am.

He came to Seattle to promote this film shortly after it was released, and he came to one of our dances in a tango bar. I didn't meet him, but my then wife spent some time talking and dancing with him. She said he was an excellent dancer, and also a very interesting man.

When I went to the movie I thought it was going to be great, because of the early footage in New York- was it Brooklyn? I loved the old gal that taught swing in the bar.

The Buenos Aires part started out good too, but when Robert's girlfriend made the mistake of talking it really fell apart. She is very pretty, and a very good dancer, but a very bad actress! I wonder if they are still together?

I bought the DVD anyway for the dance sequences.

There is another awful movie with good tango dance sequences by Sally Potter with the Argentine tango star Pablo Veron. (At least he was a star after she put him in this movie. He was her teacher; I don't know if they had a personal relationship but she was sure panting all over him in the film. It's name is The Tango lesson.

The best tango movie is very hard to get, Tango Bar with Raul Julia. More than fancy dancing it features the feelings and song and bandoneon playing of Buenos Aires tango musicians. There are also some excellent scenes of older couples dancing, after tango was suppressed for many years during the dark political era of the 70s and earlier in Argentina.

Ha

I love tango music, but the sticking out and twisting the legs footwork of the tango dance just always strikes me as so bizarre.

Audrey

Those leg wraps (ganchos) can be really arousing. Tantalizing touch, then poof! where'd she go?

They are also difficult to do well.

Ha

Wow! - well obviously it does something for plenty of folks, otherwise people wouldn't keep doing it!

Ganchos - huh? Thanks for the name!

Audrey

Tango: a dance started in dance halls by sailors and prostitutes. Who knew it would become so darn popular?
I could see myself trying that and landing on my butt with all that leg tangling stuff. Guess I'll stay a wallflower.
As I remember Duvall married this gal who teaches Tango, which is really going overboard for a dance but hey! it's Hollywood.

I looked up Duvall, and you are right, he did marry Luciana Pedraza, who was his co-star in Assassination Tango. She wrote and directed a very well received documentary, Portrait of Billy Joe, in 2004. It is about the life of singer Billy Joe Shaver.

In reading about Billy Joe, it seems that he did that very Southern thing of marrying, divorcing, and remarrying the same woman multiple times.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom