Prime 30 second ads..worthless

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
I decided to stay on Prime for one more year (crazy, I know). So I turned on Prime to watch an episode of The First 48 (old ones) and every so often, a 30 second commercial pops in and runs it's course. This can happen right in the middle of a conversation on the show. This is sick....and in the upper left hand corner of the screen, a countdown timer runs...LOL

30 seconds is pretty short in Ad life. Not that I care to see a longer ad, but the timing seems random based on when the ad pops up.

I wish my mute button glowed in the dark because I can't see it at night.

Maybe YouTube TV is in my future. I guess I can cancel Prime and get a partial refund, correct?

Is YouTube TV a better alternative? I've never signed on to a streaming service due to DW insisting on Comcast when she was alive.

We renewed in November so are stuck with a full year of this. I want in on the lawsuit!

I don't mind the ads to keep the price down. Pay the $2.99 if you don't like the ads or cancel. Do you only use Prime TV and Movies? No Amazon orders? Books? Music?

You can't compare Prime TV/Movies to YouTube TV. YTTV is a full cable package for ~$80 per month.

To keep the price down, we dropped the Hulu bundle down to the Ad version. Also Netflix went up to $24.99. We dropped down to the $6.99 Ad supported version.

I'm not opposed to dumping Amazon Prime. But, not just because of a few Ads in a show or movie. When we cancel it will be because of the full picture and not using enough. Same for Costco.

I don't mind the ads to keep the price down. Pay the $2.99 if you don't like the ads or cancel. Do you only use Prime TV and Movies? No Amazon orders? Books? Music?

They don't give you a refund if you cancel after making any purchases. We have bought a couple of things since our November 2023 renewal.

Is YouTube TV a better alternative? I've never signed on to a streaming service due to DW insisting on Comcast when she was alive.
YouTube TV is fine as a replacement for Comcast cable. You'd lose the set-top box and your DVR library, and get a DVR library on YouTube. For live TV, compare the channels on YT to Comcast - look for the ones you are used to using.

But you still need a source for internet and a device to stream YouTube.
Internet: how do you get it now? is it bundled in Comcast? Do you want to keep their internet or change to another provider?
Device: Is your TV a smart TV? Is that how you watch Comcast now? If not, consider what device you want to use: Roku (various sizes that all do the same thing), Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick (also various sizes), Apple TV (if you use Apple products). Most of these can be had for under $40.

- Rita

You can't compare Prime TV/Movies to YouTube TV. YTTV is a full cable package for ~$80 per month.

To keep the price down, we dropped the Hulu bundle down to the Ad version. Also Netflix went up to $24.99. We dropped down to the $6.99 Ad supported version.

I'm not opposed to dumping Amazon Prime. But, not just because of a few Ads in a show or movie. When we cancel it will be because of the full picture and not using enough. Same for Costco.

I just use Prime for TV (not a movie guy) and orders. A few of my latest Prime orders are taking 3 to 4 days to get to me and there are Amazon warehouses all over this area. Once lately, they couldn't find my house and returned the order to the warehouse. :confused: Actually, I am just shopping locally for things I need.

For instance, an inexpensive, small workbench I am planning to buy for my new house is on Amazon for $250.00, while the exact same one is at Harbor Freight for $119.00. What's up with this?

I decided to stay on Prime for one more year (crazy, I know). So I turned on Prime to watch an episode of The First 48 (old ones) and every so often, a 30 second commercial pops in and runs it's course. This can happen right in the middle of a conversation on the show. This is sick....and in the upper left hand corner of the screen, a countdown timer runs...LOL

30 seconds is pretty short in Ad life. Not that I care to see a longer ad, but the timing seems random based on when the ad pops up.

I wish my mute button glowed in the dark because I can't see it at night.

Maybe YouTube TV is in my future. I guess I can cancel Prime and get a partial refund, correct?

Totally agree about the ads. We watched when my brother was visiting a few weeks ago and the ads were terrible. Poorly timed, with frequent interruptions for single 10 second ads. All the ads here (S Florida) were for gambling.

Amazon ads are not off to a good start.

I dropped ad-Netflix and moved some of my savings to ad-free-Amazon Prime.

One more Old Spice commercial and my TV is going in the trash.
I cast utoob from my phone to the TV... after every commercial to close captions have to be turned off despite default settings = off. To quote the song "57 channels and nothin on".

Back
Top Bottom