A Decade on the Board

Thanks to all for the kind words. I guess time is flying by for everyone. The solution (according to Dunbar in Catch-22) is to prolong our lives, or at least the apparent length of our lives, by spending our time in boring activities. That's a problem for ER/ESR types. Back to the cube farm for all of us!
If our time is flying by, does that mean our portfolio doesn't need to last as long? I see a new withdrawal rate strategy:

Higher enjoyment in retirement-->faster time flow-->higher permitted $$ burn rate -->more extravagant and fun activities--> higher enjoyment in retirement (back at step 1, repeat the cycle in ever faster loops). Hmmm, this might need some work.

I sometimes wonder if there is a common personality trait that could help explain the difference. The answer is probably obvious and right in front of me. I Need To Just concentrate... :)
I think I have that info in some of the research I've stockpiled--I Save Things Judiciously.

Ten years--that's tin or aluminum for the traditional gift (like silver for 25th), or diamond jewelry for the modern gift. Guess which one you'll get (hint: you can use it to make a hat!).
The hat is working great. I have a ground wire from it that runs down my leg to a plate on the bottom of my shoe. Works great when I'm standing, but I have to drag that foot when I walk.

10 OMYs? That deserves a separate thread on its own. Did you open a thread on that before?
Nope. And I'll bet 10 years isn't a record, either! It helps that the w*rk is part-time and has generally been enjoyable, if sometimes stressful.

Congrats. Is it now time to reinvent yourself and re-register under a new name?
Not a bad idea. Once I thought about becoming "T-Bone Sam" when T-Bone Al temporarily edged away from the table. Anyway, we've got enough characters here, I'll stick with my threadbare but comfortable present identity.

Again, thanks to all.

Last edited:
Congrats. Is it now time to reinvent yourself and re-register under a new name?

Don't forget, the Community Rules do not allow multiple usernames for the same person! We can always change his username to something else, though.

Hmm... maybe Mr_Samuel_Clem? :ROFLMAO: Sounds ultra-distinguished, a name befitting a member for over a decade. :LOL:

I like samclem because I hope it's a Mark Twain reference. We've got those riverboats around here.

Don't forget, the Community Rules do not allow multiple usernames for the same person! We can always change his username to something else, though.

Hmm... maybe Mr_Samuel_Clem? :ROFLMAO: Sounds ultra-distinguished, a name befitting a member for over a decade. :LOL:

How about "Sam-Emeritus" or "Uncle Sam"?:D

I like samclem because I hope it's a Mark Twain reference.
Yes, I'm a big fan. I don't agree with all he wrote, but as an observer and commenter on the human condition, he remains unmatched (IMO).

And I will >not< change my identity. It took a decade to build up this armor of curmudgeonly barnacles, I won't shed them without a fight.

Last edited:
Congratulations, I'm a newbe(I think a year), I always enjoy your posts.
MRG

Just noticed that I now qualify for the 10 Year Pin and certificate that is suitable for framing. When will it be presented to me?

Here's your [-]plaque[/-] wall dispenser:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 8
When was the official first post on the forum?

samclem, when I do a search for all your posts, the first post I can find that you made (in 2005) was to .... Tadpole. Did you really wait so long after you registered to make your first post or did the forum lose the earlier posts?

It is amazing to see all the long-timers here. I feel like such a rookie.

(OTOH being a Canadian, many of the topics do not interest me.)

Congratulations to all the long time members.

samclem, when I do a search for all your posts, the first post I can find that you made (in 2005) was to .... Tadpole. Did you really wait so long after you registered to make your first post or did the forum lose the earlier posts?
I don't remember how things went back then, but something doesn't look right. I have a "Join Date" of 8 May 2004, then just two recorded posts in 2005 (neither of which looks like an intro or newbie post) then a long break until Feb of 2006--with regular posts after that. As some have observed, it's not like me to let things go without commenting. There may be some stuff missing.

Sam, I seem to recall the forum limits our ability to search more than our most recent :rolleyes: 8,000 posts. That may be why you see a gap at the beginning of your membership.

Last edited:
Sam, I seem to recall the forum limits our ability to search more than our most recent :rolleyes: 8,000 posts. That may be why you see a gap at the beginning of your membership.
REW,
That looks like the issue alright: 8000 posts and my note to Tadpole is no longer the first listed.
Every new post is pushing an old one off the back of the truck! This is similar to my reason for not learning new things--my RAM is now full and each new thing purges an old one. Now that I've learned a new thing (that there's an 8000 message limit) I can no longer remember my SSAN. Thanks a lot!

.... As some have observed, it's not like me to let things go without commenting...

Were you this way as a child as well?

Anyhow, it's been a good ten years of samclem* of which I've experienced nine of (or, maybe about 7 1/2 of, as a bit of samclem's time seems unaccounted for). But, even if it's only been 7 1/2 years, I know I've learned a lot from samclem's postings.

* Do not attempt this project in this manner, Serious injury or death may result due to overpressurization of a sealed container and resulting explosion, with concomitant rapid dispersal of magma-hot hair product. Never heat a sealed container--redduck.

Every new post is pushing an old one off the back of the truck!

That's a phenomenon that concerned me greatly at one point.
I was extremely fluent in one foreign language, but then I went into intensive study of another. I found that every new word I learned in the second language caused me to forget that word in the first. It honestly bothered me a lot!

However, time heals most wounds, and the first foreign language gradually came back. Who knows, maybe those original posts are still stored on reels of magnetic tape or punchcards somewhere and will eventually be restored!

Of course, sometimes samclem would finesse me into doing some research:

What does SSAN stand for?*

Your abbreviation search returned 8 meanings

Simple Search Advancing Network *** SSAN Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate ** SSAN Statewide Systems Advocacy Network ** SSAN Such Sums As Necessary (funding) * SSAN Stock Sector Analysis Newsletter * SSAN Storage/System Area Network * SSAN Sage Software Accountants Network * SSAN Social Security Account
* Do not attempt this project in this manner, Serious injury or death may result due to overpressurization of a sealed container and resulting explosion, with concomitant rapid dispersal of magma-hot hair product. Never heat a sealed container--redduck.
user_online.gif

Okay, you made me look. I have been a member for ten years also! I seldom post. I guess if there was prize for long, long, long time lurker, I would win.

My first post was July 13, 2006 discussing cell phone plans with Dreamer. Memory lane!

Congrats and happy anniversary!! I am more of a lurker than a poster and love, love, love the knowledge the members bring to this forum!! Hey and it's my kind of knowledge......FREE!

And worth twice what you paid!

Congrats samclem, ten years of good conversation.

Just checked and found one of my first posts in April 2006 saying that I was FI but might work a couple more years to increase my standard of living. Her I am 8 years later still working, joining the class of 2016. This time I really, really, really mean it!

Last edited:
Yes, I'm a big fan. I don't agree with all he wrote, but as an observer and commenter on the human condition, he remains unmatched (IMO).

And I will >not< change my identity. It took a decade to build up this armor of curmudgeonly barnacles, I won't shed them without a fight.

John Hartford recorded an album, Mark Twang, that is intended to recall the music and style back in the riverboat heyday. I love it.

Back
Top Bottom