I got phished

I'm afraid I had to walk away for a while from the forum's delve into my unfortunate error. My goal was just to warn people that these phone scams are getting sophisticated. I thought I was too smart to fall for them, but they got me.
I believe there are two classes of humans: 1) Those who have been scammed, and 2) Those who will be scammed.

I do appreciate your warning.

I was suspicious initially, so I logged into my ssa account and found the toll-free phone number there was the same as in the email. I dialed the phone off the website number and waded through some automated boilerplate. Then the option came up to talk to an agent, and I punched the appropriate number.

I did not read every post here but is it possible that you had indeed contacted SS and that the agent hung up?

My experience with SS agents has not been very positive. At one point I was told something completely false simply because the agent didn't want to deal with what would have been a lengthy problem for her. In short, she didn't want to be bothered. (according to an attorney who specializes in SS cases. "I see this all the time").

Detail: I was trying to get my brother on SS Disability. The agent told me that it was a very difficult process that would likely take 2 or 3 years and it would be better to just wait for him to reach FRA. Well, the attorney was able to get him SSDI in less than a month.

I guess we should never opt to get a callback, from anywhere. Just hang on tight and listen to lame music for 40+ minutes.

Usually, I put the phone on speaker and then mindlessly surf the web until it's my turn. I'd probably be surfing anyway so nothing lost.

I did not read every post here but is it possible that you had indeed contacted SS and that the agent hung up?
Yes he must have contacted SS because he dialed the official SS number. The issue is that he received a call-back & disconnection at that point, which was from a different number, plus the calling numbers can be spoofed, and if this was all initiated by a scammer, it could have been the scammer making the call-back and hung up after getting the info, but if it was a scammer, that means SSA never made a call-back after his call to the official SSA number. And the headers in the email were never checked. So there is no certainty but definitely suspicious.

Detail: I was trying to get my brother on SS Disability. The agent told me that it was a very difficult process that would likely take 2 or 3 years and it would be better to just wait for him to reach FRA. Well, the attorney was able to get him SSDI in less than a month.
I've heard it's especially difficult to get for certain disabilities like depression which can require extensive long term documentation of therapy and such.

Last edited:

I've heard it's especially difficult to get for certain disabilities like depression which can require extensive long term documentation of therapy and such.

In my brother's case, Voya, who had been paying his long term disability payments after his stroke, paid for the attorney. Took me about an hour to fill out some paperwork and within a few weeks he had it. I did it all over the phone.

My initial direct inquiry to SS said that it could take years.

In my brother's case, Voya, who had been paying his long term disability payments after his stroke, paid for the attorney. Took me about an hour to fill out some paperwork and within a few weeks he had it. I did it all over the phone.

My initial direct inquiry to SS said that it could take years.

For most cases it does take years, including filing multiple appeals. You were fortunate.

For most cases it does take years, including filing multiple appeals. You were fortunate.

I think my good fortune was Voya putting me in touch with (and paying for) a SS attorney. Early on he told me that it usually takes him "a month or two".

DYI is apparently not the way to go in this instance.

Off topic here so let's get back to phishing.

Last edited:
I think my good fortune was Voya putting me in touch with (and paying for) a SS attorney. Early on he told me that it usually takes him "a month or two".

DYI is apparently not the way to go in this instance.

Off topic here so let's get back to phishing.
What is DYI?

I never answer unknown calls and am easily suspicious of scam emails. I had posted my resume to a state job website, and I had a fake job interview request several months back that set off some early red flags. After looking into it a little further, my suspicions were confirmed.

Stupidly, I moved the bogus SSA email to my spam folder and it got deleted. I did send a copy to the SSA inspector's office.

Do you have a "sent" folder? You may have a copy of the message you forwarded to the SSA Inspector. But it may not have the original headers still.

Back
Top Bottom