A different type of SSD

I just restored over 800GB of data to my new drive a couple days ago. It literally took me less than 5 minutes to set up the restore then I walked away while my computer spent the next 90+ minutes restoring my data to it's original state.

Yup, And if you had a NAS, you would not have to do this..... I have restored plenty of Windows O/S in the Past and it did take time... I have not had to do this in years... Times have changed.....
Separating your Data from the Computer is a Big step Forward.

So, if you got all kinds of Apps on your Computer, Back them up with a program... There are all types of programs to do this... But why have to restore 800 GB of Data... Totally unnecessary....

Last edited:
I clicked on this thread because I thought “SSD” was short for “social security distribution.” Ha!

Jyst be very careful that your OS doesn't try to defragment your new SSD! SSDs do NOT require defragging, & it will greatly cut down on its useful life.

Jyst be very careful that your OS doesn't try to defragment your new SSD! SSDs do NOT require defragging, & it will greatly cut down on its useful life.

All recent commercial operating systems automatically detect SSD's and won't defrag them.

Wish that was always true, but I've seen Win 10 X64 Pro defragging a number of my clients' machines, so I think due diligence points to double-checking your system. My company is a Microsoft beta-site, BTW.

Nope, I disabled the OS defragment years ago. I was using PerfectDisk to defragment my remaining hard drive, but now that all of my drives are SSD's I don't need that anymore either.

I suppose I may defragment my external backup hard drive occasionally.

Wish that was always true, but I've seen Win 10 X64 Pro defragging a number of my clients' machines, so I think due diligence points to double-checking your system. My company is a Microsoft beta-site, BTW.

Hmm. Well if those clients have SSD's, then I would say that's either a bug in the SSD or the OS.

A bug in the Windows OS? Inconceivable!
A bug in many different OS kinda was an important part of my career. It was scary seeing how easy it was to bring millions dollars of hardware useless because of one instruction.

One of the best statements I ever heard about an OS bug was... "The system is not down, it is waiting ~144 years before seeing if there's work queued for task dispatcher".

The gentleman who made the statement was later appointed an IBM "Fellow". He was a very intelligent man.

Last edited:
So, that sounds like my current situation. When I do a shutdown (power off) with my Win10 system, then power up again, it boots in about 45 seconds. But if I then do a warm restart (without running anything else), it takes over 25 minutes. Waiting on something, for sure. I wonder what it wants, and why only on a restart?

So, that sounds like my current situation. When I do a shutdown (power off) with my Win10 system, then power up again, it boots in about 45 seconds. But if I then do a warm restart (without running anything else), it takes over 25 minutes. Waiting on something, for sure. I wonder what it wants, and why only on a restart?
I don't know what it's waiting on but surely it is.

You remind me of a message left from a group of people who were in a large system benchmark center. They'd seen the newest machines and thought the chip speeds would solve their poor response time issues for thousands of users.

The message was "All machines wait at the same speed". These folks spent 2 weeks, burning midnight oil to learn the fastest hardware was no faster. Their application spent all it's time waiting, for data. They had a contention problem, not CPU!

Back
Top Bottom