Join Early Retirement Today

A More Humane Gun Question
Old 09-05-2005, 10:35 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A More Humane Gun Question

As all the gun guys are currently running loose--here's a question--

I inherited a 12 gauge Remington Shotgun, circa 1920's, referred to as an automatic, but it functions as a semi.* Without getting into all the family details, it was restored by the factory in the 60's and given to me in the 70's. It has been fired once since restoration. It has been in various closets in a gun case for the last 30 years.
Question is this:* Are there any websites I could use to get some idea of its value and perhaps get more details regarding specifications of this rather fine weapon??

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: A More Humane Gun Question
Old 09-05-2005, 11:49 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

JPatrick, you're not giving us much to work with here.
Try Ebang or any one of the firearms for sale sites. In search put in your make and model and see what they go for.

Good luck,

Rich

Old 09-05-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Another link might be http://www.gunsamerica.com/2251/2251-newfirst-1.htm -- 19 pages of Remington shotguns for sale.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

The only gun we own is a musket from the revolutionary war We also own a 'training musket' from the same era, but it's not really a fully functional gun.

The powder horn still has some powder in it... even after all these years, the stuff still goes *whoooff* if you touch a match to a small pile of it. It hasn't been fired since the war, but you can easily go through the motions of pouring powder down the barrel, pulling out the ramrod, placing a ball down the barrel, tamping down the ball with the ramrod, then repeating with some wadding.... if you want to fire one of these guns, you REALLY have to want to fire it as it's fairly time consuming.... I wonder what our founding fathers would have thought about the semi/fully automatic weapons of today.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the links guys. This gun does not appear to have a model # so the going is slow. Wonder if there is a serial number registry somewhere
Old 09-05-2005, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
It hasn't been fired since the war, but you can easily go through the motions of pouring powder down the barrel, pulling out the ramrod, placing a ball down the barrel, tamping down the ball with the ramrod, then repeating with some wadding.... if you want to fire one of these guns, you REALLY have to want to fire it as it's fairly time consuming....
From my brief foray into guns I've seen that muzzle loaders are their own subclass and they even make new ones. I sorta understand collecting classics but asked the gun shop guy why anyone would buy a new muzzle loader; especially a particularly cheap looking one I was pointing to. His answer is that they legally aren't guns and anyone can legally buy them without wait or paperwork....even convicts who aren't allowed to buy guns.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Thanks for the links guys.* This gun does not appear to have a model # so the going is slow.* Wonder if there is a serial* number registry somewhere
I sure hope not, other than at the manufacturer's.

JG
Old 09-05-2005, 05:29 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Remington is usually very helpful. Give then a description and the serial number, and they will tell you when it was built, and maybe something about the steel.

For the most part, these guns are interesting but not particularly valuable.

Before firing it, be sure to have a gunsmith tell you what you can safely fire in it.
The newer steel shot mandated for waterfowling will wreck many older guns.

Ha
Old 09-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Remington is usually very helpful. Give then a description and the serial number, and they will tell you when it was built, and maybe something about the steel.

For the most part, these guns are interesting but not particularly valuable.

Before firing it, be sure to have a gunsmith tell you what you can safely fire in it.
The newer steel shot mandated for waterfowling will wreck many older guns.

Ha
The last sentence is true. However, there are many alternatives to steel
shot (tungsten, bismuth). Not only that, but both of these are superior
(for waterfowl). If you have a newer gun and it's just to shoot
home invaders, most any shot size will do, although as TH pointed
out the smaller shot (No. 8 for example) causes less damage to your
home's interior.

JG
Old 09-05-2005, 07:26 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
The last sentence is true.* JG
As are all the other sentences.

Ha
Old 09-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
As are all the other sentences.

Ha
Okay.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:05 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Question: Non-lethal options
* * * * * * * * * *Shotgun ammo, can you buy the legendary rock salt loaded shells? What is the range and damage to be expected using rock salt against a tresspasser? Would rock salt be considered non-lethal? What other shot gun ammo options could be used?
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #13
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Uhhh.... generally, if you point a firearm at someone, assume it will be lethal. Some people handload very light loads (regardless of the projectile) and hope for minor injuries, but a firearm isn't a suitable tool for a rap on the knuckles. I seem to recall a handul of actors killed when a pistol loaded with just blanks was fired at them at close range.

Someone once suggested that a firearm should be used against others when your choice is between being judged by 12 or carried by 6...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:05 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Also consider the Blue Book of Gun Values ... great reference. (amazon.com link)

(EDIT: shortened URL. Beat you to it, REWahoo. -BMJ)