A Phone Call...From Mystery to Happy

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I got this call today and looking at the caller ID, the ID showed a familiar number. The number was from the ex of my brother. As the phone was ringing, I decided to let my answering machine pick up.

But the message was not from his ex but from one of my brother's kids (my niece). She goes "Hello Uncle ______, this is _______, I'm doing a sociology project for school and the project is to interview 10 people and ask them what one thing changed your life?"

I was happy to help her out and let her interview me. I was flattered that she felt comfortable enough to call me for her project. I wished her well on her project.

Last edited:
Very nice! I think schools should do more projects like that.

easysurfer,

Care to share what 'one thing' you told her?

omni

easysurfer,

Care to share what 'one thing' you told her?

omni

Chuckles, I had changed to title of my post from "The One Thing That Changed Your Life" to "A Phone Call..." to avoid getting asked. But since you asked, I'll say.

My answer was simple. At an early age (about 16 or so), one day I stumbled upon this book called "How To Be Your Own Best Friend", written by two psychologists and in easy to understand question and answers. That little book changed my way of looking at the world. I told her, as a kid, many times we are told to be a certain way, from parents, teachers, other adults, but we really do have a choice to ask ourselves, "Is that what we REALLY want?" Even when decided to ER or not (many would say, you are nuts to retire early), I had that inner conversation to do what my heart of hearts said.

There you go, I shared :D

My answer was simple. At an early age (about 16 or so), one day I stumbled upon this book called "How To Be Your Own Best Friend", written by two psychologists and in easy to understand question and answers. That little book changed my way of looking at the world. I told her, as a kid, many times we are told to be a certain way, from parents, teachers, other adults, but we really do have a choice to ask ourselves, "Is that what we REALLY want?" Even when decided to ER or not (many would say, you are nuts to retire early), I had that inner conversation to do what my heart of hearts said.

There you go, I shared :D

Thanks. :flowers:

I just ordered a used copy, as your comments and those on amazon make me think it will be an ideal read for someone I know.

omni

Thanks. :flowers:

I just ordered a used copy, as your comments and those on amazon make me think it will be an ideal read for someone I know.

omni

Omni,

You're welcome.

It's thoughtful of you to help out that someone you have in mind.

Easysurfer

p.s. It's one book that says "Having a conversation with yourself is fine." :LOL:

Last edited:
Chuckles, I had changed to title of my post from "The One Thing That Changed Your Life" to "A Phone Call..." to avoid getting asked. But since you asked, I'll say...

Sounds like a topic for a great thread. I'll jump in with my own:

I was born to older parents (in their 40's and 50's) who did all their outdoor stuff (fishing, camping, etc) when they were younger, but we never did any of that when I was growing up.

But even as I kid, I always longed for the outdoors and the mountains. I remember flipping through an old State Farm road atlas we had and marveling at the western states, with all the forests and mountains.

When I got my first job out of college, in Indiana, I finally had the occasion to take the first of my own vacations in the summer of 1992. I was trying to decide between Olympic National Park in Washington, or Yellowstone. Air fare was cheaper to Montana, so I picked Yellowstone.

As I was driving from Billings and approaching the mountains, I was in awe. I'd never seen anything like "real" mountains in my life, and it was just magical. After spending one week in Yellowstone, I decided I had to move to the Rockies.

When I got back, I told my management of my desire to go to our office in Denver, but they told me there was a waiting list for people to go to the Denver office because it was in such demand. I told them to add me, and my background, to the list and I'll wait it out.

A few days later, I got a call from a hiring manager in Denver who said they needed somebody with my skillset, and everybody else ahead of me had families, houses to sell, moves to plan, children to pull out of school, etc, and they couldn't wait because a new project was starting. If I could pull up stakes and be out there in a couple of weeks, the job was mine.

I canceled my apartment lease, packed up what little stuff I had, and hit the road, moving to Denver sight unseen.

Going to Yellowstone and pulling up stakes to move to Colorado was the best decision I'd ever made. Even though I live in California now, my heart really lies in the Rockies, and I will move back there one day.

LoneAspen,

I enjoyed reading what one thing changed your life. Even your handle has Aspen :)

I know someone from the east coast but went to a college out west and fell in love with the mountains and open spaces and never looked back.

Easysurfer

Back
Top Bottom