A place for technophobes?

Interesting. Digging a little further I found this article about the rules surrounding those who work with or visit the radiotelescopes in the zone:

The second person to ever do radio astronomy, Grote Reber, discovered that spark plugs from passing cars caused all kinds of interference in his data. Although you can drive your car to the observatory site, you have to switch out for a diesel vehicle if you want to get anywhere near the telescopes. And here is the really fun part... some of these cars have been around almost since the observatory was first built 50 years ago.
The 'Quiet Zone': Avoiding Radio Interference At All Costs (Part 1) : Discovery News

I saw that tv bit this morning. Cool stuff. PBS did a program on it years ago. They tracked down one buzzing wire from a heating pad and made the people get rid of it, so they have some authority to keep signals clear.

Do we assume there is no tv or radio reception.

I would think cable TV is acceptable. Wonder how the telescopes deal with satellite TV which is beamed down from above to cover wide areas.

Just realized: no radar-based speed traps!

Back
Top Bottom