Built a NAS server after NAS-ty installation experiences

jollystomper

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The short version: I tried setting up 2-bay network attached storage (NAS) devices from 2 different manufacturers, but neither worked. I then did DIY build for the new NAS using the Openmediavault Linux distribution and all is well. Maybe I should have gone with more “established” NAS manufacturers like Synology or Buffalo, but I am enjoying the NAS I built.

The loooong version (perhaps best read while sipping a beverage of your choice :)):

My 2 NAS servers are Netgear ReadyNAS models and are almost 15 years old. The Netgear hardware has been rock solid for me. I run a basic RAID1 (mirrored)configuration. However, Netgear has gotten out of the NAS business. No more firmware upgrades, which means the Linux version, network drive access protocols versions) and security will become an issue. The hardware (CPU/memory) and really no options to upgrade them.

So, seeing the more powerful platforms existing NAS units have, It was time to BTD and try out some of these 2-bay systems. I figured it would also be good “hands-on education” to keep my old mind sharp.

The adventure begins...

1. I started with a QNAP NAS (model TS-233), as it had good reviews (and was a PC Mag Editors Choice), and a good balance of features and price. It was ordered from Amazon, along with 2 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB drives.

2. Its setup was simple. Install the drives, plug in LAN connection and power, turn on, locate the device on the network, access and follow initialization steps. So far good. I set up RAID1, and left it to sync overnight.

3. The next morning – all the lights on it are on and it looked normal – but, it was hung and could not be accessed. No ping response, no web access, QNAP software cannot locate it on the network. Reboot, everything was back to normal, the RAID synchronization continued.

4. In the evening – frozen again. But now, it would not turn off/reboot via its power switch. Unplugged it from power, waited a minute, and plugged it back in. The power switch now powered it up, but the LAN status and drives lights on the front did not come on. The LEDs where the LAN cable plugs in, as on the switch port to which it it attached, were both on, so there was a LAN signal. Repeatedly performed the unplug-wait-a-while-replug-power-on cycle, but that did not change anything.

5. I took the disks out and tested them on another system – the disk are working. Now, even without the disks, the NAS powered on but failed to initialize. IMHO, it is dead. :( So much for this one. Returned to Amazon (so happy for their easy return policy).

6. For round 2, I ordered another inexpensive NAS server with good reviews, the Terramaster F2-F212 (there was also a coupon making it $70 cheaper than the QNAP model). It is also supposed to be one of their newer models.

7. Setting it up started out easy again, in the same manner as the QNAP unit. However, this time – I decided to try their “TRAID” disk option instead of RAID1 – they claim it had the same function as RAID1 mirroring but also supported swapping in a larger drive and being able to use more of that drive than RAID1 (which allows storage size only to the size of the smallest drive). It started building the TRAID configuration.

8. Checked on it a few hours later - it was hung just like the QNAP NAS was– lights on, but nobody home, no responses to ping/web access/network scanning software :eek:. The unplug/plugin power on dance was performed to get it back online.

9. To track its network stability, I set up a ping monitor for it. Long story short, it was hanging and falling off the network about every 90 minutes-2 hours, regardless of what activity was (or was not) going on with the device. Its logs had not information. Disks were reported as healthy.

10. As another test, I removed the Seagate 4TB disks and reinitialized it with 2 1TB disks. This time it stayed on long enough to set up the TRAID mirror and format the filesystem A copy operation for about 50GB of files from another system to it was started.

11. Checked on it hours later, it was hung and off the network again – from the ping monitor it happened about 4 hours after the copy operation started. The device appeared normal with power, disk and LAN lights. The copy operation did not complete, only about 20 GB out of 50GB was copied. I did the unplug/plugin power on dance with it again, It came back online. All its log had was “the device was not shutdown properly”. Yeah, no kidding. It continued this cycle of staying up for 3-4 hours before hanging.

12. The Terramaster online support community was pretty much useless when I asked about this. Thinking that the TRAID might be the issue, I reinitialized the NAS and this time set up RAID1. That seemed to work. I set up a filesystem and ran a copy operation of about 30GB, and that worked. But… 16 hours later, the NAS hangs again. I bring it back online as before, and run another copy operation… and hour into it, it freezes again. AARGGH! :mad:

13. One last test… I returned the Seagate NAS drives and ordered Western Digital NAS drives, and installed them… but nothing changed, the device misbehaved just as it did with the Seagate drives.

Enough fun with this. I returned the Terramaster.

I take a break, go the driving range, and come to my senses. Since I am shutting down and consolidating some of my existing PC servers, I have unused hardware lying about. Why not just build a NAS server? I have always had a preference for building PC systems instead of buying them fully configured. I used an older motherboard - AMD AM3 slot CPU and DDR3 memory. I added an SSD drive for the operating system installation and used 2 WD NAS drives for RAID1 storage. Years ago I had played with the FreeNAS (now called TrueNAS) distribution. The current TrueNAS Scale distribution has a ton of function, but I decided for now to try Openmediavault, particularly since older MB/CPU/memory hardware is being used.

Finally, we have liftoff! :dance: Openmediavault was a quick install, the RAID/filesystem/shared folder setup went smoothly, and the initial test - this time copying over 200GB of files - ran without any problems.

Maybe I just ran into a series of unfortunate bad luck with the NAS systems I tried, or there was just something very wrong I was doing, or this was my punishment for going with cheaper NAS models, or all of the above - but I have a new working NAS system, which is all that matters. It has been running for over a week now with no issues.

I might not stick with the Openmediavault platform, as my BTD ways might lead me into getting more modern hardware and trying out TrueNAS Scale. It has some some additional capabilities that, while not a requirement, seem like fun to try out and learn. In either case, I am going to stick with a DIY NAS for now. I like poking around “under the covers” of this technology, so this will be one more activity to keep me busy in retirement. :LOL:

TLDR, but my experience with a couple of Synology NAS 2-disc boxes (RAID 1) has been unbelievably smooth. The software is all there, all free, and rock solid.

Thanks for doing all that legwork and posting your experience with those two brand name NAS boxes.

I have two of the same Netgear ReadyNAS 2-drive units that you have. Only one is used, the second was purchased as a spare in case the first ever crapped out. They've been rock solid. I've never had a need to upgrade to something newer. The only thing a newer unit would do is allow use of larger drives, and of course run faster with newer CPU and more memory.

So long as the ReadyNAS boxes continue to do the job for me I'll stick with them.

TLDR, but my experience with a couple of Synology NAS 2-disc boxes (RAID 1) has been unbelievably smooth. The software is all there, all free, and rock solid.

Had the Openvault not worked for me I would have gone with that... but Openvault is also free and works on my existing hardware, plus since I mess around a lot with Ubuntu Linux, which is also a Debian based distribution, I have a lot of flexibility to customize it.

Thanks for doing all that legwork and posting your experience with those two brand name NAS boxes.

I have two of the same Netgear ReadyNAS 2-drive units that you have. Only one is used, the second was purchased as a spare in case the first ever crapped out. They've been rock solid. I've never had a need to upgrade to something newer. The only thing a newer unit would do is allow use of larger drives, and of course run faster with newer CPU and more memory.

So long as the ReadyNAS boxes continue to do the job for me I'll stick with them.

The main issue I have with the ReadyNas is no more software updates. There are security exposures, though I am not too concerned with that as I control their access to get outside of my home network. The bigger pain has been the disk sharing protocol levels. The NFS and SMB versions are far enough behind what is current on my Windows and Linux boxes that, for example, on the latest Windows versions I have to re-emable the older SMB level.

Also, since automating my backup procedure with python, I am trying to move some of that automation off of my main desktop and onto a server. The Netgear systems do not have enough memory or recency to support python 3. I can also run other things like container technology and mounting cloud drives as well.

Really, it is less the fault of Netgear NAS server, and more my desire to do further tinkering and storage management automation in my home lab. :)

The main issue I have with the ReadyNas is no more software updates. There are security exposures, though I am not too concerned with that as I control their access to get outside of my home network. The bigger pain has been the disk sharing protocol levels. The NFS and SMB versions are far enough behind what is current on my Windows and Linux boxes that, for example, on the latest Windows versions I have to re-emable the older SMB level.

Also, since automating my backup procedure with python, I am trying to move some of that automation off of my main desktop and onto a server. The Netgear systems do not have enough memory or recency to support python 3. I can also run other things like container technology and mounting cloud drives as well.

Really, it is less the fault of Netgear NAS server, and more my desire to do further tinkering and storage management automation in my home lab. :)

All valid points. 12 years ago I did a bunch of custom software, and the backup procedures to go along with it. It's been pretty much on auto pilot since and I don't really touch it - just rotate out one of the mirrored drives to lock up every year or so.

Went with a Synology DS718+ in Oct 2019. Added extra memory. I think I have 2 Raid1 Seagate IronWolf now Exos 4TB drives. I only use 10% of the space. Rock solid.

I use the NAS for backup and centralized storage, but also for recording security camera stuff from 3 cameras. Never had a break-in, but... The Synology software for this is not as good as the commercial stuff I used when I w***** but it works. Finding a tested camera that will work with the NAS software was not easy. Instead you just pick one and manually put in all of the details. Through much trial and error, we got it working.

And then I have all of my music. I connected a turntable to my PC and digitized my whole record collection one cold winter. I use Plex to play music while working out at the gym. Plex also talks to Alexa so I play music while cooking for DW.

JollyS - I see you do backups (python 3), container technology and mounting cloud drive. What else?

Last edited:
I have unused hardware lying about. Why not just build a NAS server?

That's the approach I took. I had a fairly new laptop sitting around and decided to use it as a basic NAS. I replaced the internal NVME SSD with a 4TB drive, and am using the preinstalled Windows 10. I'm not doing anything fancy with it, just serving files to other devices on our home network, but it does the job. I backup the laptop nightly to an external hard drive using Macrium Reflect.

I did buy a USB to 2.5Gb ethernet adapter for the laptop, as the stock 1gb network port was rather slow.

It has been running non stop since November with no issues.

I thought about replacing Windows with a dedicated NAS software like OpenMediaVault, but keeping Windows will let me go back to normal usage if I need the laptop for some reason.

I loaded a bunch of drives into an old pc and fiddle around with Truenas Scale.

I have a Debian linux server with some extra drives mounted. It does the NAS thing, the PVR thing, and any number of other things that I might think of.
I use Samba for the fileserver.
https://www.samba.org/

I like openmediavault and currently run it on a Raspberry PI with two portable drives connected via USB. I use the rsync feature under services to duplicate the drives versus a mirror RAID.

I currently have a QNAP TS-451 with 13TB RAID 10 array, and before that a TS-409, that I use mainly as a Plex media server. FWIW, I personally haven't had much trouble from them over the last 15 years; I don't know much Linux, and I don't really do network or infra admin, so I like being able to just swap the disks and rebuild when I want to expand or one is old or has bad sectors.

JollyS - I see you do backups (python 3), container technology and mounting cloud drive. What else?

The additional things I use my NAS servers for include:
- file sharing via SMB and NFS.
- centralized music streaming (as you have)
- centralized video streaming. I have been digitizing home movies and movies on VHS/DAD we own to be able to play from any device.
- centralizing programs and Linux scripts for easier deployment across multiple systems.
- central storage for various application/database technologies I play with (or at one time for work use to an an expert :)). For example, my home temperature monitoring using an Ambient weather monitor. At one time I was running many flavors of Linux, Solaris, and mainframe operating systems in my home lab and using the NAS servers for central storage. Much scaled down but still using some to keep my mind sharp.
- virtual machine storage. I am still running a few virtualization servers (VMware, Linux KVM, Promox) and the network storage is an option I can use. It also make sit easier to share installation iso images for all the servers to access.

I have not gotten in the surveillance streaming yet but am looking at it. Another one is centralizing the various logs for different systems for use with the Elastic Stack or Splunk (both of which which I used to know very well when I was working). They are among a number of technologies I have listed on my whiteboard that I want to get around to working with. But I am going at a slower place, being retired and not being paid to work on them quickly anymore :LOL:.

Has digitizing DVDs gotten any easier? I looked at it a few years ago and it seemed like a real science project.

Has digitizing DVDs gotten any easier? I looked at it a few years ago and it seemed like a real science project.
I wouldn't say it's simple, but I don't find it onerous.

I use MakeMKV to rip DVDs and Blu-ray discs, which can take some time but you can start and walk away. I have very little issue with episodes or movies being properly identified, although extras have always been a challenge. I use Filebot and Bulk Rename Utility to make sure everything (particularly TV shows) are named in the format that Plex uses, which can be a bit tricky, but that's specific to my setup with Plex. I still have minor issues with poster art, which is important to me as I'm very visual, and sometimes subtitles, which Plex has never really supported properly, but overall I love it. I actually had two drive fail in my old TS-409, so I upgraded and had to re-rip ALL of my media, and it wasn't as bad the second time since I knew what I was doing.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's simple, but I don't find it onerous.

I use MakeMKV to rip DVDs and Blu-ray discs, which can take some time but you can start and walk away.

So you can do it with just one program? For some reason, I was using MakeMKV along with Handbrake (and maybe some other software as well). It was a multi-step process (I think because of the copyright and copy protection issues?). Also, the program settings for each of the programs had a lot of variables.

So you can do it with just one program? For some reason, I was using MakeMKV along with Handbrake (and maybe some other software as well). It was a multi-step process (I think because of the copyright and copy protection issues?). Also, the program settings for each of the programs had a lot of variables.
Yeah, I vaguely remember Handbrake from long ago, but no, I haven't used it in at least 10 years, it should no longer be necessary for ripping discs. And MakeMKV doesn't really require any settings that I can recall other than where to store the files. At least, it hasn't after I got it working many years ago.

As others have mentioned, MakeMKV works for me. I do not into anything other than the actual movie/show from the DVD, so it meets my needs.

If I want to convert the .mkv to .mp4, I use ffmpeg (within a script to perform bulk conversions and set/preserve the filename).

Oh, I checked my file server, and I remembered that Plex can now transcode to lower-quality MP4s, so I just rip MKVs at the highest possible quality, and Plex automatically creates MP4s with a lower bitrate. This way, if I ever get an NAS with a faster processor, I can just re-transcode rather than re-rip. So if you were trying to transcode every file individually, I can see why you'd get frustrated.

Instead of a NAS produce, I have a HTPC server that also contains my OTA TV tuners. I run scheduled backups and replicate things on 8 TB drives between my main desktop and HTPC. I also do offline image backups from time to time to a drive that's normally disconnected.

I'm using Hasleo backup software (it's free) for both system drive images and data backups using full, differential, and incremental. I like Hasleo better than the free version of Macrium Reflect, which is no longer available. It's closer in functionality to the paid version of Macrium yet free. Macrium paid has one advantage of being able to mount a backup for immediate access, but Hasleo lets you browse a backup and restore.

Last edited:
The additional things I use my NAS servers for include:
- file sharing via SMB and NFS.
- centralized music streaming (as you have)
- centralized video streaming. I have been digitizing home movies and movies on VHS/DAD we own to be able to play from any device.
- centralizing programs and Linux scripts for easier deployment across multiple systems.
- central storage for various application/database technologies I play with (or at one time for work use to an an expert :)). For example, my home temperature monitoring using an Ambient weather monitor. At one time I was running many flavors of Linux, Solaris, and mainframe operating systems in my home lab and using the NAS servers for central storage. Much scaled down but still using some to keep my mind sharp.
- virtual machine storage. I am still running a few virtualization servers (VMware, Linux KVM, Promox) and the network storage is an option I can use. It also make sit easier to share installation iso images for all the servers to access.

I have not gotten in the surveillance streaming yet but am looking at it. Another one is centralizing the various logs for different systems for use with the Elastic Stack or Splunk (both of which which I used to know very well when I was working). They are among a number of technologies I have listed on my whiteboard that I want to get around to working with. But I am going at a slower place, being retired and not being paid to work on them quickly anymore :LOL:.

Looking at Zoneminder?

https://zoneminder.com/

That one has been fun. I have a few old phones for bird feeder cams, using
IPwebcam.
Sometimes the feed gets little glitchy, but it is pretty good for throwaway phones.
Hummingbird was curious video.
https://youtu.be/drODXNdycVA

I'm looking at replacing aging NAS and NVR systems with new hardware, too.

I'm fed up with vendors dropping support for their hardware shortly after selling it. My plan is to go open source. I have a couple I'm looking at, but...

Anyone want to recommend good open-source NAS and NVR software?

Looking at Zoneminder?

https://zoneminder.com/

That one has been fun. I have a few old phones for bird feeder cams, using
IPwebcam.
Sometimes the feed gets little glitchy, but it is pretty good for throwaway phones.
Hummingbird was curious video.
https://youtu.be/drODXNdycVA

That is one of them. I have Wyze cameras, so getting them to feed to a generic application is a little tricky.

I have a Wyze camera with an SD card, but I'd love to use my NAS to store footage. Any tips?

Wyze used to provide an option to put the RTSP protocol on some of their cameras. This would allow them to be accessed by generic software. However Wyze considers this to be a "beta", and has since pulled the files from their site (though one can find them on other sites). More details and discussion here:

https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026245231-Wyze-Cam-RTSP
https://forums.wyze.com/t/how-to-do...-the-official-files-includes-v2-v3-pan/237659

I am also playing with a python package that accesses Wyze cameras, but it looks like it main allows getting information about the camera and some control (e.g. turning it off and on), no access to capture the stream or the SD card files. The search continues... :)

Back
Top Bottom