AARP

Status
Not open for further replies.

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Wondering if anyone here subscribes to AARP... $16 yr.

We've been members since we were 55, and find it to be the best source for retirement information. I've read a number of posts here from folks who think it's not worth the money...

Just received the latest bulletin (not the monthly magazine), with this interesting article.

https://www.aarp.org/health/brain-health/info-2019/report-brain-supplements-ineffective.html

We do, save 15% at Denny's and other places. Outside of that, not much else done with the card.

To me it's a political action committee using its membership numbers to cite as a base of support for the positions it advocates. Net, not for me.

I subscribe and like their articles and ignore the politics.
Use it for 10% off for various restaurants and some discounts on hotels. More than makes up for the yearly fee.

Yes, I signed up when I turned 50. Information content and "benefits" are quite good for the low cost (IMHO).

Great organization, member since I was 50.

AAA road service around here seemed to have similar discounts. Big US Mail marketing push to join at age 50 turned us off. On the other hand, wr have friends who happily joined as soon as they could.

-gauss

Anecdotally, I find that we get similar discounts just being seniors or as retired military. I was a staunch opponent of the ACA. When AARP lobbied for same, I knew they weren't a fit for this household. YMMV.

I don't believe in AARP politics, however their periodicals are not bad on health and other retirement issues. If you look at magazine circulation, AARP's at the top of all printed matter.

Yes, we are members. DH joined several years ago when he signed up for AARP UHC Medicare Supplement. I planned to get the same supplement when the time came for me and I assumed I would have to buy my own membership. I was pleased to find out that he could simply add me to his account. I do read some of their publications, use some of the discount and am pleased to support their efforts.

Been members since our early 40s - discounts have saved us thousands of dollars. Always been extremely happy with it and what they do.

I subscribe and like their articles and ignore the politics.
Use it for 10% off for various restaurants and some discounts on hotels. More than makes up for the yearly fee.

ditto.
could care less about the politics or the butt wads in washington

AARP is an organization devoted to stealing money from children and giving it to old people.

lol and the children probably stole it from the old people so it's all good. back where it belongs.

No.

Never invited either since I put my name on the direct marketing Do Not Mail list. At least they honored that.

Have no intention of joining and supporting political organizations.

I have been a member for years. The discount on glasses and eye exams, 30%, is worth the $12.99 I pay. There are also online coupons that I use from time to time.
As far as politics, they do things that both sides like or hate so that argument is a non starter for me. They are an equal opportunity offender, if you go looking to be offended.

I was a member in my 40's, then again later on. Am a member. Have their Road Service plan. Like anything else, I do not agree with 100% of their politics. But really, I can say that about any group or person with political agendas. I find the info useful and enjoy the discounts from time to time. I don't sign any of their petitions nor do I send them extra funding.

I joined for a year a few years ago in order to get a free, small tote bag. I use that handy item often. Didn't care much for the newsletter, and I don't care much for AARP's politics. When the year was up and I didn't renew, I kept getting those annoying "Please come back!" notices all the time, until they finally gave up. Their other membership perks and discounts are useless for me.

Love them, members since 55, I really do not know much about their politics, but whatever it is, I am sure it would be for the the benefit of us old fogies, so I am sure I would agree with it.

I found that if you get old enough, for many situations the senior discount is the same as for AARP. You have to join if you want to sign up for the AARP Medicare supplement............but you don't have to continue membership to retain the supplement so I let the membership lapse after that 1st yr.

I then had to rejoin to switch from the F to G supplement and was again going to quit after the 1st yr. I have since discovered that I like those 2 publications.....the magazine and the bulletin.........and by accident got into a 5 yr membership for $10/yr .

I subscribe for about 3 yrs at a time so a bit cheaper than $16 yr.

Their politics or lack of politics is a non-issue for me :popcorn:.
My bigger question is do I really need AARP as I also have AAA and there is some duplication in benefit of membership. Maybe in a few years I'll use AARP more. In the meantime, that 3 yr subscription continues :(.

Agree with those that don't like the politics, it is a PAC, steals from others to give to seniors, etc. However, DW signed us up several years ago and carries her card always asking for a discount. We are both retired Army so I ask for that first. She also militates to keep the AAA card, although we haven't used it for car related in many years. She does use AAA travel services for info then plans the trip herself or through Costco.

So yes, we have AARP but I would rather they tried to represent the retired rather than always thinking they know what members want. Who knows, maybe a large number of the members want what they get in the politics. I can't figure out our politics now days. :)

Agree with those that don't like the politics, it is a PAC, steals from others to give to seniors, etc. However, DW signed us up several years ago and carries her card always asking for a discount. We are both retired Army so I ask for that first. She also militates to keep the AAA card, although we haven't used it for car related in many years. She does use AAA travel services for info then plans the trip herself or through Costco.

So yes, we have AARP but I would rather they tried to represent the retired rather than always thinking they know what members want. Who knows, maybe a large number of the members want what they get in the politics. I can't figure out our politics now days. :)

Any person or group that wants to protect their current benefits from being eroded or wishes to promote laws in their favor, does so at the detriment to others. The bucket is not infinite. I don't fault AARP for that "stealing" as you say. Like you, I just don't think that the AARP PAC reflects the desires of all members. How could any group speak for every individual member? This thread clearly tells us that. It is an impossible goal.

I subscribe for about 3 yrs at a time so a bit cheaper than $16 yr.

Their politics or lack of politics is a non-issue for me :popcorn:.
My bigger question is do I really need AARP as I also have AAA and there is some duplication in benefit of membership. Maybe in a few years I'll use AARP more. In the meantime, that 3 yr subscription continues :(.

There is some duplication with AAA, but I find that duplication is not with the food discounts.
We specifically like the fish chain "Bonefish Grill", in which each bill is 10% off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom