AARP

Status
Not open for further replies.
As is quite evident on this forum, "Senior Issues" are not something we all agree on anyway. We don't think as a block here (no matter how loud some voices might seem). I can't remember the last thread where there wasn't some dissent, even on the most simple of topics.

While we mostly have ER goals in common, how we get there, and our politics, are quite diverse.

I don't belong to AARP, I just get the ads to join. Constantly. And they won't stop.

Yep, same here. I have no idea where AARP got my address, but once I turned 50 the junk mail started pouring in.

I've never actually seen the magazine to know whether I would enjoy it or not. And I don't stay at hotels or visit restaurants enough to make use of any discounts they might offer. So I never saw a reason to join.

I did sign up for a local senior newspaper. I don't know who puts it out, but it was free so why not. It's mostly advertisements for various senior related businesses and services in the county, but there are a few articles and calendars of various events around the local area. I've only received a few issues so far, but it's worth a 10-15 minute browse.

I've never actually seen the magazine to know whether I would enjoy it or not. And I don't stay at hotels or visit restaurants enough to make use of any discounts they might offer. So I never saw a reason to join.

I joined just for the Hilton discounts, a couple nights stay pays for the membership and the rates beat Hilton Honors rates.

They send two publications a month. The bulletin (the newspaper style one) is pretty good - updates on legislation, articles that discuss things we discuss here, etc.

The glossy magazine is trash. It is basically a People Magazine for old people filled with stories of over-50 celebs. AKA "Old People Magazine".

Senior issues are NOT Conservative or Liberal issues. They are not Democratic or Republican issues. Senior advocates should be taking BOTH parties to task when those parties do things which hurt our interests, and supporting BOTH parties, when they support us.

An organization simply can't do that as a sycophant for either side. And trying to appease either or both parties makes it totally ineffective.

I'll also add that voters need to challenge "their" party's line sometimes, too.

Well put!

I hesitantly signed up to AARP about 18 months ago with the 3-year deal. I thought there was a good chance I would be going with their branded UHC Medigap plan. It turned out I did not. But I warmed up to AARP a lot. I look forward to the "Bulletin", the monthly small newspaper-like mailing. Lots of relevant articles. The basic format is article on left page, advertising on right page. I'm fine with that. For me, the glossy Magazine is too glitzy and show-business-like. To each his own. I have no issue with their lobbying. Who else lobbies for seniors and keeps at it?

Separate issue - As far as political parties, my (now previous) party moved out from under me. They continue to send me crap that is so ridiculous, I wonder how they do it with a straight face. Just this week, X-party sent me another of their "surveys", that are really extremely biased send-us-money garbage. But this one was specially sent :sick: . The envelope was too thick to feed directly into our shredder, so I had to open it and separate sheets (each with my name printed on it) into smaller thicknesses to shred. So I AM challenging "my parties party line" via the shredder :LOL: I'm an independent now, just like my buddy the shredder :D

Been a member for 20 years. Enjoy the articles so that makes it worthwhile for DW and I, but that is about it.
+1
I enjoy most of the articles. Some are quite informative while others are a little too light weight to provide useful information. I don't care one way or the other about the politics. I make my own mind up based on my beliefs and needs and don't pay much attention to ANY conservative or liberal organization.

Cheers!

Based on several comments about “stealing”, I thought of this quote:

The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

H.L. Mencken

Nope. Never have, never will. As part of doing volunteer work through AARP subsidiary I get all sorts of propaganda emails. Very few of the articles attached have any meaning or relevance. Not going to get into the politics. They’re just self serving when it comes to that.

Am so happy to be part of a forum where everyone knows so much they don't have to read the articles in the AARP magazines or bulletins. That $16/yr in savings should enable retiring a year early. :flowers:

Am so happy to be part of a forum where everyone knows so much they don't have to read the articles in the AARP magazines or bulletins. That $16/yr in savings should enable retiring a year early. :flowers:
In spite of all the comments about good articles in their magazine and bulletins (and I made one of them) I find that this forum is more timely, goes deeper into issues, is much more informative, and has more political breadth than any article that I have read in the AARP magazine. Without knowing anything about AMAC articles, I would be surprised it their articles were any better, just maybe carry a different perspective.

Here's to ER.org :bow:

[mod edit]
We are members only because we wanted the AARP United Health Care insurance. If we ever change our insurance cover, we will dump AARP.

Last edited by a moderator:
We switched from CARP to AARP when I figured out membership was a fraction of the cost. We use it for Hilton Garden / Hampton Inn discounts. Also use it at Bony Fish Grill ; - )

we don't agree with their political beliefs and we don't need their discounts, magazine or programs. so, no, neither my wife or i belong.

In spite of all the comments about good articles in their magazine and bulletins (and I made one of them) I find that this forum is more timely, goes deeper into issues, is much more informative, and has more political breadth than any article that I have read in the AARP magazine. Without knowing anything about AMAC articles, I would be surprised it their articles were any better, just maybe carry a different perspective.

Here's to ER.org :bow:

+1.

I have to say this forum to be the BEST place to go with ANY question. I may not always like the responses, but they are given openly and honestly.

I use the 15% at Denny's too. What other discounts have you found useful?

Eye exams and eye glasses, 30% on the total. Hotels, rental cars, though Costco usually is the best rate, AT&T wireless.

I use the 15% at Denny's too. What other discounts have you found useful?

10% at Bonefish Grill, Outback's, Carrabba's, Fleming's steak house.

We have looked at the discounts. The ones that we checked out on hotels, rental cars, etc. were nothing special. In all instances we were able to do better on our own. So we decided against joining. Most of the restaurants they list are either not in our area or are ones like Dennys that we never really bother with.

Besides, the bottom line is that if you ask, most places will give you a seniors discount that is either the same or close enough to the AARP, or the Canadian version called CARP that we looked at. Their insurance was actually more expensive.

There is a lot more political content in this thread than in AARP publications.

AARP is not a PAC.

As for discounts, I get a discount every month on my Consumer Cellular bill. I got an unexpected discount today at the National Building Museum in DC. If you show an AARP card, the cost is $3 less than the "Senior" price, and $6 less than the "Adult" price. I think this AARP discount is specifically related to the current "Lawn" exhibition. I got an AARP discount on my last car rental.

We have looked at the discounts. The ones that we checked out on hotels, rental cars, etc. were nothing special. In all instances we were able to do better on our own. So we decided against joining. Most of the restaurants they list are either not in our area or are ones like Dennys that we never really bother with.

Besides, the bottom line is that if you ask, most places will give you a seniors discount that is either the same or close enough to the AARP, or the Canadian version called CARP that we looked at. Their insurance was actually more expensive.

Really? How about some details. We’d all like to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom