Adult daughter's coming marriage...who's expense?

Diamonds for engagement/wedding rings are not (yet) popular in Germany.
Usually we have wedding bands only.
Recently it is becoming more and more popular for couples to design and make their own band rings at a jeweler.

But we are catching up, I fear. From all the US wedding movies younger people are picking up
- the habit of handing over the lady from father to husband at the altar, (we use to walk into church together)
- the bridal shower or lunch,
- the bachelor party and / or hen night
(instead of these we have a low key evening party one or 2 days before the wedding for family and friends and close colleagues, as the after wedding party is often quite small.)

my wife and I got married 40 yrs. ago and we had the ceremony in the church, invited friends and family back to our home for food and drink. spent probably less than 500 dollars(1972 dollars). If I had it to do again I would do the same thing. we had no in-laws living to contribute, so no problem there. I always believed that if your friends and family wanted to celebrate something important with you, the cost should not be the main focus.

We haven't even touched upon the way that diamonds have been very successfully marketed as the only acceptable stone for an engagement ring. Not only that, but we have even been told how much we should be spending by the "Is two months salary too much to spend on something that will last forever" campaign.

Many people have fallen for this successful ad campaign and believe that spending a lot of money is the only proper way to show love for their spouse.

How many married folk here did not buy (or receive) a diamond engagement ring? I bet not many.

My ex requested and received a sapphire stone (surrounded by a couple smaller diamonds).

Last edited:
Not only did I not get an diamond engagement ring, I didn't want an engagement ring or wedding ring of any type. Not interested in jewellery and I have to say 18 years I've not had a moment of regret about not having one.

I have a $200 (in 1972) sapphire engagement ring and our wedding on a Thursday evening at the parson's home and the dinner for 10 that followed in a restaurant was much less than the cost of the ring. On the other hand, I must admit DD has a gorgeous rock and we threw out the budget for her wedding without a whit of regret; five years later people are still talking about it as the best wedding they were ever invited to, and DH and I also thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Not only did I not get an diamond engagement ring, I didn't want an engagement ring or wedding ring of any type. Not interested in jewellery and I have to say 18 years I've not had a moment of regret about not having one.

Ms G. after 30 years, still has a naked ring finger. I have a simple 3mm band.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom