After Shave

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
The 10 or 12 ounce bottles of Aftershave... the liquid that you splashed from the shaker hole in the glass bottle... fresh scent, alcohol based, fresh smell. A little puddle in your hand that you slapped on your face right after shaving. It was enough to wake you up and be ready to face the day. It helped clean off the shaving cream, and made it feel as if the tiny nick of of a razor cut was being sterilized.
Have looked in several stores... Walmart, Target etc... Tens of dozens of creams or lotions or face scrubs, to make you smell like a man or a whatever... scents of everything from lavender to bacon, and special oils and balms to revive the original baby skin.
The rest of the liquids have names reminiscent of "Chanel #5" or "Evening of Passion".
So there were some sample sprays, and I tried one... Just a spritz on the back of my hand. On the way out of the store, I got a strange look from some guy who was shopping with his wife.
Do guys really buy this stuff? I mean, like I'm a little bit old, but this is a new world to me. :confused:

Just for you

Burma-Shave Bumper Bumper Sticker by burmashave

burmashave_bumper_sticker.jpg

Well, they wouldn't keep it on the shelves if people weren't buying so apparently they do buy it.

Just checked Wal-Marts web site and they have a number of traditional after shaves such as Old Spice and Aqua Velva on the site.

Yeah... great... Our campground is in Sublette Il... where the tornado just hit.
On the way into town is a series of signs for Burma shave... they've been there ever since we bought into Woodhaven, 25 years ago. When I was a kid, the highways were loaded with burma shave signs, with the funny sayings. Made our annual vacation trip from RI, to NH more fun. Circa 1940's.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/burma1.htm

Re: Walmart... Thanks..I'll check on line. I spent five minutes with a Walmart Clerk looking for the Aqua Velva in our local store... we struck out.
Wheee-oooh... $17.88... Think I used to pay about $2. Gonna try isopropyl alcohol with mint leaves. :)

Attachments

• Burma Shave.jpg
    Burma Shave.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Imoldernu, I'm sure I'm in the minority but I hate all those scented things. I get really bad migraines and have allergies. The scent on some people is overpowering. Not sure if it's the persons body chemistry or they don't know when to stop. We have several people in our office that you know they've been in a room after they are gone by the remaining smell. Maybe the man that gave you the "look" has the same problem that I have and has no "poker face". If it's a smell that bothers me, even a small amount is noticeable to me.

Gonna try isopropyl alcohol with mint leaves. :)

My father made his own aftershave for about the last 20 years of his life. Ordinary rubbing alcohol with a dash of oil of wintergreen. I thought it smelled fine (though a bit unusual), the scent didn't last that long, and he was happy with it. Can't get much lower cost than that.

Well, they wouldn't keep it on the shelves if people weren't buying so apparently they do buy it.
+1.

OP: There's a whole universe of after shaves between rubbing alcohol and the Chanel Lavender Bacon Evening of Passion for you to choose from.

Not sure what after shave from the good old days you're referring to, Aqua Velva or Old Spice? They smell absolutely horrible to me, the long lasting scent adds insult to injury, and I don't see the appeal of something burning my nicked face.

I don't know any men who would voluntarily spritz themself with Chanel Lavendar Bacon Evening of Passion, I might give you a "strange look" too. Do it again and you may have your man card revoked. :LOL:

iipsrv.fcgi

Last edited:
In Saudi they used to sell the stuff in huge bottles...which would probably last the average Riyadh metrosexual about a week.

An anecdote from those times: Taking the hotel shuttle to Charles de Gaulle.......I smelled the guys from a distance before they boarded the bus....three of them, in suits.

Lady up front asks them if they're with the hotel......I said "No, they're Saudis".

"How you know we're Saudi?" they ask.....said "I just know".

They were standing in the aisle, and all the way to the airport they're babbling to each other..."Yadadadada Saudi, yadadada Saudi"...and every time they said it all three of them turned to look at me.

I never said another word.

They put it on the shelves for women to buy for their fathers, brothers, husbands, etc. :LOL:

I used to have quite a collection. Never used the stuff. Finally got the message across that I never used the stuff. Haven't gotten any in decades.

So thankful that most people no longer wear scents of any kind.

There is nothing worse than being trapped in a movie theatre for two hours sitting behind some person who has bathed in Obession, Chanel #5, or any other fragrance regardless of how expensive it was.

So thankful that most people no longer wear scents of any kind.

There is nothing worse than being trapped in a movie theatre for two hours sitting behind some person who has bathed in Obession, Chanel #5, or any other fragrance regardless of how expensive it was.
Except if you happened to be trapped next to someone at the theatre for two hours who hasn't bathed in god knows how long and stinks to high heaven. Oh yeah, happened to me.

Imoldernu, I'm sure I'm in the minority but I hate all those scented things. I get really bad migraines and have allergies. The scent on some people is overpowering. Not sure if it's the persons body chemistry or they don't know when to stop. We have several people in our office that you know they've been in a room after they are gone by the remaining smell. Maybe the man that gave you the "look" has the same problem that I have and has no "poker face". If it's a smell that bothers me, even a small amount is noticeable to me.

My DM had allergies that developed later in life. She had to stop going to church as the different perfumes and colognes all made her very ill.

nothing is worse in the cubicle jungle than having a nearby person soaked in aftershave. Several of my past coworkers who did this were actually alcoholics tring to cover up with aftershave.

After much experimentation, I have found that either the Neutrogena or Dove after shave lotions work great. And both have the active ingredient in sun screens, so my dermatologist likes them. also, I once read that the active ingredient in sunscreens did more for younger looking skin than all the fancy skin treatments.

That might make for a humorous series of YouTube videos. Put a small camera in the corner of an elevator and film people's reactions as you ride up the elevator with them slathered in some disgusting aftershave.

Rock half a bottle of Old Spice from the lobby to floor 53 :dance:

No after shave, and only wear cologne when trying to have a tempting scent for a lady, and then only enough to be detected during close, personal interaction...

:dance:

Spring has sprung
The grass has riz
where last year's
careless drivers is

Burma Shave

Back
Top Bottom