Air fryer, anyone?

Ours is a Cuisinart. It is a toaster oven with AF setting. Works great. All metal construction - no flaking.
Can you cook a whole chicken in this using the AF function?

No, we do not have to. People here have compared the air fryer to hand-held air dryers, industrial heat guns, blow torches, BGE, etc... There are many utensils and appliances for cooking, all with their own advantages and drawbacks. Let's compare them all.

To the Thread HiJackers. :horse:

Attachments

• TaF.jpg
    TaF.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
After reading some of the posts here, and understanding the mechanism of air-frying, I used my countertop Breville convection oven to act like an air-fryer. I had to turn the fish mid-way since the bottom of the fish was a bit gooey (I used thawed frozen pollack and that may be why), but I ended up with nice air-fried fish with very crispy breading(panko). DH stood at the kitchen counter and ate most of it praising how good it was LOL. (DH has already had lunch so this was a snack, but anyway...)

If I could set up the basket further away from the pan, I think I could use my bigger convection oven to air-fry fish without having to turn them. (I recently purchased a double oven for my kitchen and the bottom one is convection, and it has more height than a countertop toaster type oven.)

The breading doesn't look browned much (I didn't have an oil spray, so I added olive oil in the bread crumbs), but the breading turned out very crispy nonetheless.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
What I have been doing for chicken strips is marinating them in buttermilk then dipping them in Panko .No oil needed and they turn out great .I made chicken Parmesan on Sunday using this method . I just added Parmesan to the Panko .

I recently bought an air fryer and I really like it. We love oven fries but the air fryer does them better, quicker and easier. I also got good results with chicken wings... I did one batch dipped in a beaten egg and flour and they came out similar to KFC... pretty good. The batch that I did sprayed with oil with a rub also were good, but not quite as good s the batch that was dipped in the egg wash and flour.

I can't wait to try frying eggplant, squash and zucchini after reading about it here.

One thing... I did a nuber of batches of french fries and sweet potato fries first and the basket cleaned just like it was new.... after doing the chicken wings the sides of the basket had a residue that won't come off... baked on chicken grease I suspect... I haven't tried anything abrasive on to try to get it off because I don't want to ruin the basket.

Last edited:
We bought one on Amazon Prime Day and use it 3 or 4 nights a week. I do the cooking in the house and since getting it have basically stopped using the oven. Wife loves the way chicken comes out - crispy outside, moist inside. I just throw some seasoning on the skin and nothing more. Quick, easy, and simple cleanup.

Give fresh broccoli a try - comes out excellently. Just toss it with olive oil and season it. Throw it in the air fryer for 10 to 15 minutes at 300 and it comes out nice and toasty. Corn on the cob comes out really nice and roasted as well - butter it before frying.

I tried ribs in it - I think I need to first use the pressure cooker and then finish it in the air fryer. They were a bit tough, so I think the pressure cooker first will make it more tender.

I need/want to experiment with it more.

I tried ribs in it - I think I need to first use the pressure cooker and then finish it in the air fryer. They were a bit tough, so I think the pressure cooker first will make it more tender...

Generally, dishes that are traditionally cooked with high heat such as steak or grilled vegetable will work out well with an air fryer.

Ribs take hours at low heat to slowly dissolve connective tissues. Can you set an air fryer to low heat and cook a long time? It probably can work, but then a normal toaster oven can do the same.

Last edited:
My favorite thing to make in the air fryer is cajun shrimp . I mix a small amount of oil with old bay and Emeril's cajun seasoning . I dip the shrimp in the mixture and then put in the air fryer for 6 minutes .

I tried ribs in it - I think I need to first use the pressure cooker and then finish it in the air fryer. They were a bit tough, so I think the pressure cooker first will make it more tender.

I need/want to experiment with it more.

Yes, ribs need slow long cooking first to break down the connective tissues, then just finish on higher dry heat to crisp up.

Yes, ribs need slow long cooking first to break down the connective tissues, then just finish on higher dry heat to crisp up.

So, would sous-vide to air fryer work?

I suppose.

Personally I like my ribs smoked. I wrap baby back ribs partway through, then finish unwrapped.

+1
I smoke mine by the 3-2-1 method.
3 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped, 1 hour unwrapped, all @ 215 deg. Prefer big fat St Louis ribs.
Perfection every time.

Back
Top Bottom