Do You Have an Air Fryer?

OP, I have a dehydrator and I think I've used it twice or 3 times. I probably use my air fryer every week. The biggest benefit I see is it can brown things much quicker than my oven and it doesn't use as much power. I roast vegetables (root veggies like carrots and sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, brusselsprouts) a lot in it. I don't do fake fried foods much in it at all. A lot of chicken wings (when I ate meat). Cleanup is a breeze too.

Last edited:
COSORI Air Fryer Toaster Oven, 12-in-1 Convection Ovens with Rotisserie & Dehydrator, Stainless Steel, 6-Slice Toast, 100 Recipes & 6 Accessories Included, Work with Alexa, CS130-AO
View attachment 48257

lots of parts

Yep I was suspecting you had something like that. Yours is just like a smart portable oven. You hav e to clean the sides just like a regular portable oven. People here who are enjoying air fryers have the kind that lets you take the food compartment out and clean just that.

Yep I was suspecting you had something like that. Yours is just like a smart portable oven. You hav e to clean the sides just like a regular portable oven. People here who are enjoying air fryers have the kind that lets you take the food compartment out and clean just that.

Yes, anything you cook in that thing ends up looking like it exploded and stuff went everywhere.

It looks impressive on the counter, though!

Last edited:
Yes, anything you cook in that thing ends up looking like it exploded and stuff went everywhere.

It looks impressive on the counter, though!
Yeah it does look nice lol.

That seems a long time to cook Sweet Potatoes.

I do Sweet Potatoes - 8->10 minutes in the microwave, whole.

We don't eat the skin.
How are they better quality in the air fryer ?

I do 4 at a time so 1.5 - 2 lbs. Olive oil, salt, and pepper on the skin. Set and forget and it comes out crispy on the outside and perfect on the inside. I love the skin.

I do 4 at a time so 1.5 - 2 lbs. Olive oil, salt, and pepper on the skin. Set and forget and it comes out crispy on the outside and perfect on the inside. I love the skin.

No seasoning or oil for me. I love the skin as well.

I have a beautiful Airfryer, it's as clean as it was when brand new 2 years ago.... Because I haven't even taken it out of the box :facepalm:

Do I win an award for lazy ;)
I have an Instant Pot with an air fyer lid that I bought just over 2 years ago. I took it out of the box at the time and even plugged it in to test it, but then I put it back in the box and haven't touched it since. Good intentions and all. :LOL:

A family friend gifted us a device a decade ago that was basically an air fryer before they were called air fryers.
It was basically a huge glass cylinder base that you could put one or two racks in. And the lid was a heating element with a fan. We mainly used it to cook frozen food that you would normally put in the oven and it worked great. The actual washing of the glass cylinder and racks wasn't bad but the glass cylinder was thick and heavy so it was a pain to move around and dry.

Our oven has a convection fan so it kind of serves as our defacto air fryer now but I find it's kind of a waste to cook small batches. So we were going to get the Instant Vortex Plus when it was on sale at Amazon during the holidays but were slow on the go and missed it. Going to wait for it to go on sale again before getting it.

We decided on the Instant version on the strength of this following review by America's Test Kitchen. One of the comments was that it was fairly easy to clean.

I have a tiny 1.2l Bella air fryer designed for a student in dorms. It was a $9.99 clearance at Macy's, so I got it just to quickly cook up a couple Costco frozen fish sticks at a time and recrisping leftovers. Cleans up easily and doesn't take up much space. Definitely a convenience item and not a need, but for $9.99, no regrets.

10261567_fpx.tif

I have a tiny 1.2l Bella air fryer designed for a student in dorms. It was a $9.99 clearance at Macy's, so I got it just to quickly cook up a couple Costco frozen fish sticks at a time and recrisping leftovers. Cleans up easily and doesn't take up much space. Definitely a convenience item and not a need, but for $9.99, no regrets.

10261567_fpx.tif

Yeah, that's about the size of what we have -- just a small one, maybe 1.5L or 2L bucket that pulls out, so only enough for 1-2 servings of anything. But For what it is, it's very useful.

I have a beautiful Airfryer, it's as clean as it was when brand new 2 years ago.... Because I haven't even taken it out of the box :facepalm:

Do I win an award for lazy ;)

You are in the running...:D

I have an Instant Pot with an air fyer lid that I bought just over 2 years ago. I took it out of the box at the time and even plugged it in to test it, but then I put it back in the box and haven't touched it since. Good intentions and all. :LOL:

:2funny: :ROFLMAO: I am getting such a kick out of reading these comments! :D I think we have several in close competition for the "Laziest Retiree Award". :LOL:

Anyway, do you have an air fryer, which model, and how often do you actually use it? What do you use it for most often?

An air fryer is "worth its weight in gold." It makes cooking items faster and super easy to clean using air fryer liners/reusable containers.

Air Fryer: Gourmia from Costco
How often it's used: Multiple times every week
Use it for: Most things you put in the oven (that aren't huge like a turkey) or grill (e.g. burgers, chicken fingers, grilled cheese, appetizers, frozen sweet potato fries or regular fries, veggies, pizza can be put in there but I use a toaster oven)

URLs:
Gourmia from Costco
Air fryer parchment paper liners
Silicone liners

The air fryer gives more of a crunch than the microwave.

Last edited:
Use my air fryer every day. Easy to clean.

Cuisinart Digital Airfryer Toaster Oven at Costco online for $200. May be less in store.

So can you deep fry things like raw chicken or onion dipped in batter or panko? I would like to make onion rings from scratch.

So can you deep fry things like raw chicken or onion dipped in batter or panko? I would like to make onion rings from scratch.

Yes. All of the above. We have a Ninja Foodi combination pressure cooker and air fryer. We also have a Breville toaster oven with an air fryer. Both have multiple functions like slow cooker and dehydrator.

You can combine several functions like pressure cooking and air fryer to make recipes like shrimp and grits or taking chicken wings from frozen to fully cooked. I also do a lot schnitzel (breaded cutlets) with chicken or pork as well.

I probably use both appliances a total of 3-4 times a week. I like the fact that they use a very small amount of oil and you don't have to figure out how to get rid of it after deep frying.

My wife was against getting the Ninja XL, but found out we both love it and use it almost daily. I got it to make buffalo wings, and they turn out awesome!
Check out some Youtube videos to help make up your mind.

We have a Power XL (basket style) that DW got as a gift from her w*rk. We use it a lot more than I thought we would. Mainly for fries and hash browns. Works great on chicken wings if its too cold to grill, reheating things, and even made a small loaf of cornbread. May try a meatloaf tonight. We do have a convection setting on our oven, but the air fryer is faster and easier if you don't need the capacity of the oven. The basket style is super easy to clean.

We do not have an airfryer but my DW loves her crockpot/slow cooker. The one she recieved from her friends in her dept. upon her retirement in 2018. I has a place of honor in the pantry sitting on the top shelf alone and lonesome. Why you ask, bscause it has 3 small pots in it that are not really big enough to cook anything of value in. I ask her "Then why not just get rid of it"? Answer- "I might use it sometime." So it just sits there on the top shelf taking up space that could be used to store an airfryer on!

Last edited:
Anyway, do you have an air fryer, which model, and how often do you actually use it? What do you use it for most often?

I currently have 2. I have a Cosori single basket airfryer. I absolutely loved it. Except if I wanted to cook, say, chicken (or fish) and also cook roasted vegetables separately I couldn't do it all at once. So I bought a Ninja dual basket where you can cook 2 different things at once.

I use it a lot. Bear in mind, I dislike cooking. I like the result but cooking takes longer and more effort than I want to spend.

The airfryer deals with all this. Main things I make (bear in mind I am not creative)

Roasted Vegetables - These can be carrots, asparagus, brussels sprouts, red bell pepper, sweet potatoes, potatoes. Chop them up (if needed). Spray avocado oil on them. Sprinkle any herbs on them I want to sprinkle. Air fry them until done (about 15 minutes but some veggies cook faster than others). The good thing is I don't really have to babysit cooking like you do with something on the stovetop. I set the timer and go do other stuff.

Chicken breast - I usually just plop a frozen chicken breast or two in there and cook them until done. Literally nothing else.

Salmon - Same thing. Sometimes this is fresh and I spray with some oil and cook it a very short time and done.

Even I can do these things. Without much effort.

They are a PIA to clean. DD gave me hers and it just sits on my counter.

COSORI Air Fryer Toaster Oven, 12-in-1 Convection Ovens with Rotisserie & Dehydrator, Stainless Steel, 6-Slice Toast, 100 Recipes & 6 Accessories Included, Work with Alexa, CS130-AO
View attachment 48257

lots of parts

Ah, OK. I wondered why you were having trouble. Before I got my "real" air fryer I had a Breville Smart Air Toaster Oven with an air fryer function much like you mention. It was terrible to clean us. And wasn't even a great air fryer. I literally threw it away before we moved since it was so useless.

Ah, OK. I wondered why you were having trouble. Before I got my "real" air fryer I had a Breville Smart Air Toaster Oven with an air fryer function much like you mention. It was terrible to clean us. And wasn't even a great air fryer. I literally threw it away before we moved since it was so useless.
Mine's going to Goodwill next week. It just sits there and takes up counter space. Impressive looking, though!:D

I have been thinking about getting an air fryer, but I'm debating how much we would actually use it. We rarely eat fried food, but I've seen videos and recipes for fish, chicken, vegetables, and some desserts that look quick and easy. Still, I'm not sure if it would be any faster or more convenient than using the microwave or oven. Not to mention it would be one more appliance to clean and store (the latter is a big concern in our small kitchen).

On the other hand, I rarely bake anything in the oven because it takes so much time and energy to heat it up. Especially if I'm only sticking a piece of fish or something in there.

I bought a dehydrator a while back (only $20 or so, no big expense) thinking I would make a lot of jerky and dried fruits. But we quickly tired of jerky (sticks in teeth and too much salt) and we rarely eat dried fruit. I've probably dried tomatoes more than anything. The novelty wore off and it has been sitting in the cabinet for a few months. I would rather not repeat that experience with an air fryer, especially considering the higher cost.

Air fryers have replaced bread makers as the must-have device that nobody needs and rarely use, IF they get one.

Air fryers have replaced bread makers as the must-have device that nobody needs and rarely use, IF they get one.

Maybe for some, not for us. We use both on a regular basis :LOL:

The air fryer is just a small oven with good convection ability. In fact, due to the small size and design it often works better than an oven. And there's no need to heat up the entire house in summer just to cook one or two items.

We use the break maker, not for bread but to make pizza dough.

The air fryer is just a small oven with good convection ability. In fact, due to the small size and design it often works better than an oven. And there's no need to heat up the entire house in summer just to cook one or two items.

^ This is why ours gets frequent use.

Why do people want to fry air?

Back
Top Bottom