Amazon Prime increasing annual fee to $119

Are you getting enough value to keep paying for Prime?
Yes. While I've learned to "price check" Amazon's prices against other merchants, I still use Amazon for a lot of purchases.

Prime also has other benefits, like video, music streaming, photo storage, etc. that I don't use much or at all and still think it's worth it at $120.

I did, however, recently cancel Netfix because I just don't watch it that much. So, I will probably start looking at Prime videos if I do want to watch a show or movie.

We had it for a year but cancelled it. We did not feel we were getting enough value for it to make sense.

20% is a large increase. Plus, over the $99 psychological barrier. But I will stay.

My main use of Prime is the 2-day shipping. I'm hooked already. I do shop at other places too, but still prefer Amazon. Plus, the way I figure, I earn enough on cashback bonuses annually with their 5% prime CC to make up for the membership cost.

Yes. While I've learned to "price check" Amazon's prices against other merchants, I still use Amazon for a lot of purchases.

Prime also has other benefits, like video, music streaming, photo storage, etc. that I don't use much or at all and still think it's worth it at $120.

I did, however, recently cancel Netfix because I just don't watch it that much. So, I will probably start looking at Prime videos if I do want to watch a show or movie.

+1.

Retaining Amazon, but also cancelled Netflix. Used to watch Netflix while living in hotels as a road warrior. Six months in to retirement and I watched zero minutes, so pulled that plug.

Amazon listens to everything we say with their Alexa devices. Frankly we are scared what Amazon might do if we leave. If I were you I would not make them mad. :D

Last edited:
I've been Prime for awhile now. Remind me how shipping is if you aren't prime. Can you still get free shipping (not 2 day) for those Prime products if you spend over $25 or $35?

Looks like in the last three months we've spent $2,896 at Amazon, so yeah I'm still getting my money's worth even if it's $120 a year. With two toddlers at home and two working parents, time is of great value these days, having diapers just show up when needed rather than making an expedition to target is a real life saver. We are doing the same with groceries which I think has been an even bigger boon than amazon prime. $100 a year and I never shop for groceries again, put my order in online, and then pull up then drive away. Saves hours every week, worth it 10x over.

One thing I do wonder however is if the Prime model is really saving much of anything. Sure without it the shipping costs would add up, but I find it hard to believe I'm making out like a bandit saving tons of money on shipping. Shipping still costs money, someone's paying for it. Unless high users like me are balanced by an equal number of prime members who are under-utilizing the service then the costs must be captured by some party. Methinks it's effectively getting rolled into the original price of the product.

I've been Prime for awhile now. Remind me how shipping is if you aren't prime. Can you still get free shipping (not 2 day) for those Prime products if you spend over $25 or $35?

Yes, free standard, over $35 (though that does change sometimes). It's slow standard though, they often don't actually ship the item for a week.

Sticking with Prime here, how else will I see the next season of Man in the High Castle!

We will keep it. Do use the 2 day shipping, plus watch a bunch of the movies.
First increase since 2014, so okay for us.

Non-issue. We use prime video, & movie selection is improving. Love the 2 day shipping. It's a shock when I have to directly pay for shipping outside of Amazon. We order random stuff a couple of times a week.

When to the post office to ship a small box, typical of what we get from Amazon 1-3 times/week. Amazed it cost 10 bucks! Ditto for my 2 pounds of coffee I get from a farmer's co-op. Shipping label shows cost at 7-10 bucks.

Love Amazon prime; hate shopping brick & mortar, such a waste of time for me. Rather speed my retirement sipping coffee rather than running around to find stuff locally.

I was actually fine w/o Prime prior to joining a couple of years ago. Will think about it until renewal. My gut feeling as of now is to drop it.

Edit: Just checked and my subscription renews on June 15th at $99. Will probably keep for another year. Ha

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the 5% store card is also for prime members only, isn't it? So that's a 3% benefit over my regular 2% back. I'll have to do the math on my purchases, but that goes a long way toward the $119. So I'll probably keep it.

DW and I are Amazon power users and $119 is still well worth it for the two free shipping.

We have been watching quite a few things on Amazon Prime lately, and probably buy 5-8 things a month. It's amazing how fast just the shipping charges from other places would make up the $119. I have bought 40# bags of smoking pellets and got them in 2 days. Wonder how much that would have cost without Prime:confused:

Is it actually going up? Last time I read about an increase it was only on those who paid monthly. I went into my prime account and it still says I will be charged $99 for an annual membership.

I'd pay $120 just to watch 'Bosch" on Amazon Video!

Is it actually going up? Last time I read about an increase it was only on those who paid monthly. I went into my prime account and it still says I will be charged $99 for an annual membership.

When is your subscription renewing? The increase is effective in mid-June, so I guess that if you renew before then, it will be $99.

I will personally be keeping it. The extra $20 is negligible for me...I make that up with the Prime card pretty quick. A lot of folks have mentioned that the prices aren't as good as they once were, but as an example...I bought a new coffee maker for $76 (before the 5% cash back) and the same one is $99 at Wal-Mart. So...Amazon it is.

The earning report also has me ready to buy into the expensive stock. Yes, I will be buying high...but I feel pretty confident that it will continue to rise...they have their hands in almost everything. Over 20 years, the stock is up almost 24,000%! Crazy...

To me they should have left it as is--better to retain customers and attract new ones at $99 then have them fall off when they increase to $119. $99 just seems more affordable than $119 to the masses. Its all about money, that's America, no matter what the topic.

When is your subscription renewing? The increase is effective in mid-June, so I guess that if you renew before then, it will be $99.

June 1st. :dance:

The earning report also has me ready to buy into the expensive stock. Yes, I will be buying high...but I feel pretty confident that it will continue to rise...they have their hands in almost everything. Over 20 years, the stock is up almost 24,000%! Crazy...

Check your mutual funds. I'm sure you already own a good amount of Amazon. They tend to be one of the top ten holding of the index funds.

The $99 annual fee was already a deal breaker, the $60 Costco membership is a deal breaker, any membership is a deal breaker for me. I’ve tried prime 3 or 4 times, always on the free trial

To me they should have left it as is--better to retain customers and attract new ones at $99 then have them fall off when they increase to $119. $99 just seems more affordable than $119 to the masses. Its all about money, that's America, no matter what the topic.

Or, they could publicize the increase and its effective date to push new users to get it now, and then after that they could occasionally offer "deals" for new subscribers at $99. That's what they did the last time. Must have worked out statistically.

I resisted Prime for so long and got it only because my rewards credit card would redeem rewards to an Amazon gift card which is easy to set up as an online Amazon credit. I viewed it as free money and splurged on Prime. I agree that the online free content in video and books has gotten better. Plus I like not having to line up $35 in merch to get the free shipping. I will renew.

This price increase makes me ask myself what fee would make me bail and jump ship.

I'd probably stick around even if fee was $149. If $199 I'd think about bailing. Between $150 and $198 is gray area for me.

Calling this a 20% increase is misleading since it is the first increase in four years. Adjusted for inflation, Prime costs roughly the same now as it did in 2014, and offers so much more than it did then. I'm surprised they waited as long as they did to apply this increase.

With 36 orders placed in 2017 and 26 in 2016 plus the benefits of Prime video and the Prime Lending Library books, even at $119/year it is a good value for us so no plans to change.

Back
Top Bottom