An OLd Liberal " Gets It"

Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny said:
Single White Female?

Please no because then we'll have a Natalie Holloway story/Amber Alert. Then it'll really be a thread never dies.

Cut-Throat said:
I believe that Alberta does have more oil in the 'mud' than the entire Middle East. It now seems profitable to go after it. I saw a documentary on it.

We'll see how this develops.

Yep, most of the world's known reserves of oil shale/tar sand is in North America )(and more in the US than Canada). It is noraly considered economical to recover when oil hits $40 per barrel --if it stays there for a long time. Royal Dutch Shell reportedly has a new process that makes it profitable down to $30 per barrel.

samclem,

Gee. I seem to remember that Syncrude and Suncore can make money down to $15/barrel. Shell just 'raised the bar' by paying more per barrel for an oil sands asset than anyone else ever had.

DON"T follow the technologies. Find a well-run oil company by checking are they replacing the barrels they produce with new barrels discovered. And check their balance sheets. In the past 20 years, several previously well-run oil companies have dug themselves into a hole. Shell got into trouble a couple of years ago by reporting their reserves on the generous side. Not quite Enron, but a couple of big guys got sacked.

Don't pay too much for an asset and don't buy the hype. I just saw a special on the Bronfmans and how the grandson of the old man lost the family $6 billion US.

El Gitano

Back
Top Bottom