Annual Credit report, all at once or one at every 4 months?

noelm

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello folks,

Now I have some credit history so got one credit report, I am still trying to understand the greek language in it, until then here is the question.

What is the best option, asking for all reports at once or one report every 4 months?

I was considering the latter but it turns out the report that I got now doesn't look like up-to-date, hence the thought. I have read pros and cons of both but still can not figure out. Will do what majority does.

Thanks in advance/

Since there are three reporting agencies, many people get one from a different agency every 4 months. That way you just get one a year from each, so they are all free.

Granted, there will nearly always be minor differences between the reports, but that method should give you the best chance of spotting a serious problem at the earliest time, while not paying for anything.

Since there are three reporting agencies, many people get one from a different agency every 4 months. That way you just get one a year from each, so they are all free.

Granted, there will nearly always be minor differences between the reports, but that method should give you the best chance of spotting a serious problem at the earliest time, while not paying for anything.
+1

As others, I spread them out over the year. I don't care so much about my score as I don't want a mortgage or credit, mostly concerned about errors on the reports. Of all the things congress dithers over I wish they would require the reporting agencies to actually verify the data BEFORE they put it in the report, it's such a hassle to correct and the damage has already been done.

and if/when married, you can do same for spouse and coordinate w/ yours so you can get 1 every 2 mos.

I used to do them every 4 months. then I joined Lifelock and they do it all at once. s'pose it's possible to have LL not do it at all and do it myself; never looked into that

Thanks everyone. I will go with one every 4-month routine.

Am I alone is this ? I have never seen my credit reports. Don't recall ever being told I needed one. I am sure my record has been checked from time to time, after all, I bought a house, a few cars and I have had a few credit cards, but I seriously cannot remember ever being shown a report or being told my numbers. Now in retirement, it seems to be even less important.

My approach is to spread them out every four months. However, I slacked off have haven't even gotten one report yet this year.

I try to look every 4 months but I'm lucky if I get around to it once a year.

I also get one every 4 months or so.

I also have frozen my credit reporting account, so bad people can't take out credit in my name. It cost me a few dollars, but it is cheap insurance against having my credit record hijacked.

arky said:
Am I alone is this ? I have never seen my credit reports. Don't recall ever being told I needed one. I am sure my record has been checked from time to time, after all, I bought a house, a few cars and I have had a few credit cards, but I seriously cannot remember ever being shown a report or being told my numbers. Now in retirement, it seems to be even less important.
Nope, not just you; I have no idea what my score might be, and don't care. It is only significant if one chooses to finance one's lifestyle through debt.

Score & reports are different. even those who view their reports usually have to pay a nominal fee to see the scores. but the reports are a list of accounts you have or have had in the past (?)(7?) yrs and whether they've been paid in a timely matter.

for instance, one report I saw had another person w/same name in same state listed with delinquent accounts. had to go thru the process of informing them of the mistake to remove those

Nope, not just you; I have no idea what my score might be, and don't care. It is only significant if one chooses to finance one's lifestyle through debt.

I wish that were true, but credit reports are used for other things today such as setting one's insurance rate to evaluating potential employees. Perhaps other people know of other uses.

In any event, if a bad person, opens a few accounts under your name and SS, it will be a major pain to get things straightened out. So, it is probably good defensive medicine to get a report a few times a year.

I used to do them every 4 months. then I joined Lifelock and they do it all at once. s'pose it's possible to have LL not do it at all and do it myself; never looked into that
coincidentally, just got notice from LL that they not longer will be getting cr's for me. wonder if their subscription rate will go down - bwahaha. so I guess it's back to 3 times a yr

It is important to check your credit report to be sure things are OK. I order one every 4th month and compare the results to the same company's from 12 month's ago. So far nothing ever surfaced that wasn't OK. Then I write it on the calendar so I remember to order the next one.

You can get your credit score free at Free Credit Score & Credit Report Data. No Credit Card Needed

Back
Top Bottom