Another encounter with a homeless

John Galt III said:
Idea for new Reality TV show. Title is "What's Your Scam?" Grifters apply to be on the show. 3 of them per night. They compete with one another to impress the judges with their creativity, etc. The winning grifter gets $100,000 cash, and if the scam is original enough, gets a free patent attorney to help him save it all for himself, forever. Scam must involve abuse of taxpayer money, not private donations.

Hmmm... Why do I keep visualizing a parade of defense contractors?

There are lots of grifters and scammers out there for sure. Run into plenty of them myself. I also believe there are plenty of people truly in need, particularly during these difficult times. Perhaps it's better to donate to a reputable charity or trust the government take care of the problem and forget about it.

I think many people fall through the cracks. Like those who are reluctant to receive assistance because they have mental issues or are too proud to get handouts. It's nearly impossible to tell the difference between the scammers and unfortunate souls.

My local county is dealing with them by requiring registration and imposing some rules -
Summit County to crack down on beggars - News - Ohio

In addition to requiring panhandlers to register and wear a safety vest, the proposal would bar them from begging within 25 feet of intersections, shopping plaza entrances, bus stops, ATMs, banks, restaurants, gas stations, liquor stores, public
 restrooms, convenience stores, check-cashing businesses and self-service car washes.

The legislation also would prohibit aggressive panhandling, such as following people or disrupting traffic; begging from sunset to 9 a.m.; and lying to get money

I love the part about prohibiting lying to get money. Like that could be enforced!

A few years ago this same paper had an article about a driver who noticed a different panhandler everyday on his freeway exit ramp. So he asked talked to one of them. The panhandler told him that he was hired to stand there with the sign.
'Homeless' men change often at highway exit - Dyer - Ohio

I had a guy try and scam me this last week. I was coming out of a Home Depot and he came running up behind me with some story about how he needed a ride down the road. Since I was going in that direction, I said sure. What can I say, I do try and be a nice guy.

So while we're cruising down the road, in the 5 minutes from A to B, he brought up god (particularly the 'do unto others' part), being in the military, the fact that he was weathy and had a nicer car than me, and his wife who was supposed to pick him up but had her cell phone off. It was all a bit too cliche to try and make me sympathize and trust him. When someone pontificates that much, you know something's not right.

Of course, we get there, his wife isn't anywhere to be found, and he asks for $40 for a locksmith. I tell him I don't carry cash so he asks me to go to an ATM :cool:.

I make sure we're in a very public area and start blowing holes in his story. Can I see your military ID? Don't have that? Not sure how you're going to get on base - can I talk to someone in your command, maybe call the OOD? Oh really, you just got here and don't know anyone? Really, you're not allowed to give a civy the phone number to anyone there or at your prior command? Was that a debit card I saw you pull out with your blackberry? Why can't you use that? Oh, you damaged the strip? You can type the numbers in you know. Oh, I'm sorry you don't know your own PIN. By the way, when you were calling your wife, I didn't hear your phone ring, mind if I try her number? I totally forgot to even ask him what good a locksmith was going to do him if his wife has his car.

Eventually he got to "Do I look like someone who would try and scam you?" to which I replied "Do I look like someone who would be easy to scam?"

Note, in restrospect, many of these actions weren't wise and should not be construed as advice. I should've taken much more care before letting a stranger in my car and prevented the whole situation from occuring. More of a cautionary tale for my fellow friendly folks so that you may recognize this type of thing better than I and be more prepared.

Back
Top Bottom