another LCHF diet question

BoodaGazelle

Recycles dryer sheets
To keep it simple. I lost 30 lbs doing a loose interpretation of Atkins/paleo, mostly avoiding carbs and sugar. Of course, it is always difficult not to backslide with bread and desserts.

I seem to find that my weight is extremely sensitive to even what I feel are very small breaches of protocol. E.g., one meal with carbs can cause my weight to go up the next day seemingly a pound or two.

Has anyone else found this type of diet to be this sensitive?

Thanks,

Mitch

To keep it simple. I lost 30 lbs doing a loose interpretation of Atkins/paleo, mostly avoiding carbs and sugar. Of course, it is always difficult not to backslide with bread and desserts.

I seem to find that my weight is extremely sensitive to even what I feel are very small breaches of protocol. E.g., one meal with carbs can cause my weight to go up the next day seemingly a pound or two.

Thanks,

Mitch
That pound or two is probably no more than water retention.

With more carbs eaten, your body restores some of your glycogen stores in your muscles, which otherwise a very low carb diet will keep depleted. Glycogen stores also store water. So the question is really whether the sudden weight gain continues or stabilizes quickly.

Very low carb diets often have a sudden initial weight loss, and that initial weight loss is mostly water loss.

Last edited:
I agree with audreyh1: a 1-pound daily weight gain or loss is likely water weight variations. My daily weigh-ins have varied within a 4-pound range over the past year, and that includes carb indulgences (one per month at most).

Same here. +- 1 pound is routine. When it gets up 2 pounds and stays I know I have strayed too far into chocolate.

Thanks to all... I should have realized that small gains could happen and not be significant.

But I think the real lesson for me is that you really cannot go back to the old ways without regaining the weight.

Another lesson for me anyway is your body does adjust to a lower carb intake after time. We've been low carb for over 15 years..worked from home so normal routine would be a early lunch which 95% of the time is eggs and protein. Supper salad, some protein and a lower carb veggie.

The result for me anyway is any kind of falloff from traveling, eating out etc, seems to have pretty large consequences and when I get back to my regular routine and try to lower my regular carbs a little more nothing really seems to lower my weight. I actually have to cut calories and increase my regular exercise.

Thanks,
Mitch

Yes, this happens with me also. I weight myself every morning, and I can actually predict (with some accuracy) what my weight will be, based on what I ate the previous day. If I ate much pasta, bread, or a sweet dessert, for example (which I rarely do), I typically put on 1-1.5 lbs.. But that extra weight will almost always come off within the next day or two, once I revert to my normal way of eating. It might be water weight, but there's no doubt that eating that way on a frequent basis would steadily put the pounds on. So, I stick to the basic diet plan at least 80% of the time, but if I do breach the protocol on occasion (which does happen on social occasions when I don't control the menu, for example), I don't worry about it. I just try to get back to the regular plan the next day, and the extra pound or two comes right back off.

That pound or two is probably no more than water retention.

With more carbs eaten, your body restores some of your glycogen stores in your muscles, which otherwise a very low carb diet will keep depleted. Glycogen stores also store water. So the question is really whether the sudden weight gain continues or stabilizes quickly.

Very low carb diets often have a sudden initial weight loss, and that initial weight loss is mostly water loss.

Basically this. Look up ketosis, or "keto" diet.

Glycogen is ready energy stored in your muscles and liver - it's basically a glucose polymer, i.e. carbohydrate, i.e. starch. Glycogen easily releases glucose into the bloodstream from your glycogen stores as you need it.

Some glycogen is stored in the muscles, right where it's needed. Alternately your liver stores enough for a few days use. When the liver is full, excess sugar goes right into fat storage - arbitrated by insulin.

When you deplete your glycogen stores, the body starts producing ketons and using those for energy instead of sugar (i.e. glucose). It makes the ketons from fat - dietary and stored.

Depending on your size there a zone of a few pounds you need to shed to go from a "normal glucose" based metabolism to a "normal keton" based metabolism.

If you are in ketosis and eat a bunch of carbs then some of those carbs are metabolized with the rest going to replenish your glycogen stores (along with plenty of water bound to the glycogen). Your weight will blip up.

As you can see, if you only do a few "low carb" days, followed by "high carb" days, you never really get into ketosis and you weight will easily vary "a lot" as the glycogen stores get worked off or rebuilt. You're just partially depleting your glycogen stores and filling them back up.

To loss weight on keto, you want to get into ketosis and stay there. At least for a while. Getting into ketosis also supresses appetite for many/most people.

It's really more complex than this, but you get the idea (I hope).

Good luck

I really do know most of this.. I am not trying to cheat, but even as much as I like bacon and eggs, it gets kind of monotonous. Also, my wife tries to be helpful, but there is still pressure to eat different things than when I am completely on my own. And finally, we were traveling for about 10 days (at least 4 on the road), and that makes it more difficult to be strict.

I really know what to do, and I really really really want to keep my weight where it is after my 30 lb loss (175), so that has to be enough motivation.

And finally, we were traveling for about 10 days (at least 4 on the road), and that makes it more difficult to be strict.

I really know what to do, and I really really really want to keep my weight where it is after my 30 lb loss (175), so that has to be enough motivation.

When I travel (big trips) I simply go off the LCHF/keto diet while I stay on it the rest of the time. So much of foreign travel is about trying local food that I don't want to miss out on that. Often I'm so active when we travel that I come home having lost a couple of pounds.

I suppose it helps me that DW has celiac disease and has to avoid flour based foods. So we eat the same meals and that makes life in our household much easier. She used to fix a side dish of potatoes or rice for herself, but stopped when she decided they were just extra work and brought little to the party.

I get over the "eggs are boring" thing by working through a wide variety of omelets and other egg styles. I mix in all sort of meats, cheeses, and some veggies, to provide variety. It helps that I love eggs and that DW does too - though it might be that she enjoys having breakfast made for her even more.

When I travel (big trips) I simply go off the LCHF/keto diet while I stay on it the rest of the time. So much of foreign travel is about trying local food that I don't want to miss out on that. Often I'm so active when we travel that I come home having lost a couple of pounds.

Similar here. My favorite way of visiting other places is on foot, so I do an enormous amount of walking, especially in Europe. That goes a long way toward burning the calories.

Similar here. My favorite way of visiting other places is on foot, so I do an enormous amount of walking, especially in Europe. That goes a long way toward burning the calories.

It certainly helps to walk a lot when traveling. And that is one way I neutralize the extra carby food I eat when traveling. I also avoid the 'standard' touristy desserts and sweets such as gelato, and other goodies I could get in the USA if I feel the need. I do, however, enjoy the great bread! And I probably drink more beer and wine than I usually drink at home.

I find I gain about 6 - 8 pounds on a 3+ week overseas. I think it's mostly water weight since I can lose it in two weeks once I am home.

Below is an example of something I avoided in Czechia. If one is going to blow the carb budget there are many better pastries to choose from, IMHO.

Attachments

• trd.jpg
    trd.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I really do know most of this.. I am not trying to cheat, but even as much as I like bacon and eggs, it gets kind of monotonous. Also, my wife tries to be helpful, but there is still pressure to eat different things than when I am completely on my own. And finally, we were traveling for about 10 days (at least 4 on the road), and that makes it more difficult to be strict.

I don't know your age but age definitely played a factor for me. After I hit 60 my body was way less forgiving of diet slips. I can't tell you how many chickens I have kept employed in the 17 years :LOL:But I know what you mean if I'm at a nice breakfast place everything in me goes against paying good money for something I already eat every fricking day.

The fact that you are aware of the issue means you will probably try to control it as much as you can. My rule is to not even keep the "not good" foods in the house so I don't can't eat them.

It certainly helps to walk a lot when traveling. And that is one way I neutralize the extra carby food I eat when traveling. I also avoid the 'standard' touristy desserts and sweets such as gelato, and other goodies I could get in the USA if I feel the need. I do, however, enjoy the great bread! And I probably drink more beer and wine than usual at home.

I find I gain about 6 -8 pounds on a 3+ week overseas. I think it's mostly water weight since I can lose it in two weeks once I am home.

Below is an example of something I avoided in Czechia. If one is going to blow the carb budget there are many better pastries to choose from, IMHO.

Ditto,ditto, if we stay at a hotel with a nice brunch I never eat the fancy desserts, I learned this lesson after eating a few and realizing they weren't bakery quality so why bother..

Ditto,ditto, if we stay at a hotel with a nice brunch I never eat the fancy desserts, I learned this lesson after eating a few and realizing they weren't bakery quality so why bother..

Agreed. If the dessert's main taste is sweet, it's not worth blowing the carb budget. But, if it's really good chocolate, or has that wonderful combination of a buttery dough and fresh fruit...... Hey, nobody is perfect! :D

Did you mean: ketone
Sorry, never read/heard of the spelling keton.

Using up all your glycogen / glucose reserves during exercise is pretty much when you "bonk" or "hit the wall." In order to use up all the body's glycogen folks who don't exercise much have to do something different than folks who exercise a moderate amount or more.

Last edited:

You don’t have to only eat bacon and eggs. I don’t get this.

I also don’t eat eggs every morning. Some mornings I have lox with some cheese and vegetables. Before yoga class I prefer peanut butter (100% peanuts) on celery. I eat eggs lots of different ways.

When traveling in the US most places offered meal salads and a choice of dressings. A big Caesar salad, no croutons, with added grilled salmon, chicken, etc. was usually available. And we carried our own snacks of nuts and cheese.

In terms of eggs, I do omelettes, scrambled eggs with cheese, as well as fried and soft boiled. Salsa goes on the eggs sometimes. I occasionally make a crustless quiche (so yummy!) and will eat leftovers for breakfast.

Last edited:
A waffle made with garbanzo bean flour and topped with an egg and cheese is a good breakfast though it’s more of a slow carb than a low carb meal.

No matter what diet you are on, if you eat more for a day or two, as well as introducing foods you normally avoid, your scale is going to go up, and much more than expected given the "3500 calories for 1 pound" math.

But it normally flushes out in a return to normal eating patterns in another day or three, whatever your normal is.

My rule is to not even keep the "not good" foods in the house so I don't can't eat them.

This is absolutely true for me. I used to be addicted to corn chips, so I cannot have them in the house or I will eventually eat them. Ice cream is another one.........I only buy it (small container) when we are having the grandkids over, and they eat most of it, so I'm not tempted to eat a lot.

This is absolutely true for me. I used to be addicted to corn chips, so I cannot have them in the house or I will eventually eat them. Ice cream is another one.........I only buy it (small container) when we are having the grandkids over, and they eat most of it, so I'm not tempted to eat a lot.

I fell into the "buying it for when the GK's are here" trap and it wasn't good..I felt the goodies calling my name.

The important part with re-gaining is to remember you've done it before, you can definitely do it again. I lost 70 lbs. since 2009, then gained back 20 during a milestone celebration trip, and now I'm back down to my low again. Not that weight is everything, but I'm also in the best shape I've been in since college. I want to be able to enjoy a long retirement, with lots of travel! And how could I not indulge, since at the time this was a once-in-a-lifetime trip? :cool:

(Sorry, I don't know why that one photo is upside-down...also sorry-not-sorry if the photos derail anyone's diet! :D )

Attachments

• 2014-07-04 16.39.58.jpg
    2014-07-04 16.39.58.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 2014-07-08 21.38.15.jpg
    2014-07-08 21.38.15.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2014-07-09 12.28.47.jpg
    2014-07-09 12.28.47.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 2014-07-12 06.02.27.jpg
    2014-07-12 06.02.27.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2014-07-13 13.52.23.jpg
    2014-07-13 13.52.23.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 7
  • 2014-07-03 18.41.53.jpg
    2014-07-03 18.41.53.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 7
The important part with re-gaining is to remember you've done it before, you can definitely do it again. I lost 70 lbs. since 2009, then gained back 20 during a milestone celebration trip, and now I'm back down to my low again. Not that weight is everything, but I'm also in the best shape I've been in since college. I want to be able to enjoy a long retirement, with lots of travel! And how could I not indulge, since at the time this was a once-in-a-lifetime trip? :cool:

(Sorry, I don't know why that one photo is upside-down...also sorry-not-sorry if the photos derail anyone's diet! :D )

That’s my problem with travel. Except the big European trips are once a year! I’m determined to stay pretty low-carb on the next long one, six weeks! At least there will be plenty of good cold cuts/charcuterie and cheese to enjoy. Staying away from desserts/sweets and baked goodies is not hard for me.

Back
Top Bottom