Keto diet question

Total calories in must be less than total calories out (burned) in order to lose weight. That's all.

I am going to take issue with the above comment.

Our bodies are not steam engines. We don't just eat calories. We eat whatever contains the calories whether it's a sugary cinnamon roll or scrambled eggs with cheese. Nobody would equate a sugary cinnamon roll with cheesy scrambled eggs just because the serving contains the same amount of calories. The food that contains some calories causes disease, other foods maintain and build health. Calories are metabolized differently depending upon the food they are in. It's how they are metabolize that can be difference between putting on fat and maintaining a healthy weight.

Don't get me started on the internal fat surrounding our organs, and thin on the outside, fat on the inside people.

Edit to add: The following video is much better than my original choice which has a lot of medical jargon that most of us, including me don't understand. Yes, it still has medical jargon, but a lot less.

Old video full of technical medical terms is below

Last edited:
We have heard “Eat less exercise more” for decades starting with the fitness craze in the 70s, yet a fat lot of good it’s done our population which has since developed increasingly widespread chronic metabolic disease, including in children. It’s going to bankrupt our health care.

Yes, I’ve watched a lot and read a lot on the topic over the years. There are plenty of papers published on various aspects of this topic. Unfortunately standard of care in Western medicine is way way behind.

You can do your own. I’ve given you some references.

@audreyh1 Thanks as always! Are you, or were you, engaged in the healthcare profession? Or was one of your close friends or family members?

A peer reviewed piece from an .edu or .gov source, preferably a medical school or NIH, would provide a more solid footing to discuss this on the thread.

We have heard “Eat less exercise more” for decades starting with the fitness craze in the 70s, yet a fat lot of good it’s done our population which has since developed increasingly widespread chronic metabolic disease, including in children. It’s going to bankrupt our health care.
bold emphasis added....

Was that pun intended? :D

My parents, aunts and uncles ate meat, bread, butter, drank whole milk, consumed potatoes and cheese. They even put butter on their veggies!!! :eek: Yet, yet photos of them in their 30's and 40's show very lean people. How can this be? I think we know the answer. They ate real food that was not processed very much.

Last edited:
Of course!

Definitely, JERF - just eat real food. Not heavily processed food. Unfortunately a lot of people don’t know what real food is. Fruit juice is not real food - the fiber has been removed and you get a huge dose of liquid calories in a form that can be challenging for your liver. Yet many folks believe that fruit juice and low fat sweetened fruity yogurts are healthy because they are low in fat. Not to mention the supposedly “healthy” breakfast cereals which are highly processed.

Last edited:
I think alot of the arguments against CICO are primarily that different metabolic conditions/underlying factors etc make it HARDER to lose weight for some people but the physics is undisputed by reputable medical sources. For example if you stopped eating altogether (zero calories in), at some point you would be guaranteed to lose weight (you may eventually get sick or die but before that you would absolutely lose weight). Similarly if you increase your activity (run marathons, ironmans, etc while maintaining your current diet) you would be guaranteed to lose weight (although again you may injure yourself). CICO works period.

However, most people find it impossible to adhere to this, may be counting calories wrong, underestimating what they eat, may lose weight initially and then lose motivation when they plateau before starting the next phase down, etc. But to blame metabolism for lack of ANY weight loss I think is a red herring. It is a medical fact that if you eat less than your burn, you will eventually lose some weight.

Please feel free to critique.

It is a medical fact that if you eat less than your burn, you will eventually lose some weight.

Weight - yes.
Body Fat? probably less than you want. More likely in a very low calorie deficit you are going to lose lean muscle mass, which is not good for your long term prospects.

You will also regain that lost mass as fat far more easily, so when/if you return to your prior weight you will now be a percent or 3 higher in body fat, making it harder to drop the same again.

Whereas adjusting WHAT you eat, more protein, lean fats, healthy carbs, is far better than just counting calories. 1200 calorie diets of mostly sugar are going to leave your body in a mess, no matter what the scale says.

We don’t just burn calories. We also excrete calories and the “burner” - the metabolic rate is not some fixed constant under all input conditions.

Last edited:
Thanks @audreyh1. Are you, or were you, engaged or employed in the healthcare field? Or was a close member of your family engaged or employed in healthcare? Your knowledge seems to exceed that of the average person.

I remain in search of a peer reviewed published piece of writing on this topic, from an .edu or .gov source, preferably a medical school or the NIH.

Where does lifestyle choice come into this - gluttony and sloth? Said in terms the modern culture might understand better - eating too much and exercising too little?

Disorders and diseases are part of life. Yes, I get it. I acknowledge this fully. Where in the pareto chart do diseases and disorders fall, relative to lifestyle choices to each too much and exercise too little?

You aren't going to find a lot of gov't or mainstream medical journals covering the newer nutritional science. They have too much invested in the older advice. And they'll never come out and say "we were wrong, and doing what we recommended caused the obesity and metabolic syndrome crises that currently exist". They will eventually get around to giving advice based on the newer science, but it will take along time.

As far as knowledge exceeding that of the normal person, all it takes is curiosity, patience, and probably a personal experience that what is "supposed" to work doesn't for you. There is an immense amount of information available, and spending a few hours/month reading or watching scientists and doctors and others will give anyone knowledge exceeding that of the normal less interested person. Audrey knows more than most, but even I know more than the average bear. Again, the incentive is having a problem that isn't able to be resolved by CICO. It's not like we haven't tried it. It just never worked for us.

A big problem between the 70s and now is the food we eat and the lack of exercise. Look at Fast food from the 70s vs now- bigger/fatter/etc. also the explosion of portion sizes means we are all eating more - less physical activity for kids leads to youth obesity setting a future pattern. More Tv/computer/PlayStation now than playing/being outside tons of high fat high sugar prepared foods. All of this has contributed to an explosion of metabolic syndrome and obesity.

@timbervest 100% on point. CICO works always, without exception. Even for a person with a disorder. Eventually weight will be lost when calories in are reduced and calories out are increased.

The human body is indeed a predictable system. A machine if you will. If it isn’t, medical science should hang up the spurs and call it quits.

It’s common that people are not honest, or don’t know how, to count calories. It’s possible that people aren’t honest about how much exercise they do, or don’t do. Binging, restricting, and “cheat meals” are common in popular diets and the people that participate in them.

100% agree that real food is where it’s at. Meat, fish, dairy (yes milk and butter), veggies, fruit, grain (yes bread) are all good and necessary. If anyone eats “special food”, they are doing it wrong. For the average person with average health.

Learning to cook, honestly counting calories and honestly accounting for physical activity is a guaranteed way to have better health as it relates to body weight/BMI and heart performance.

Last edited:
Well, glad that's settled. Now all the millions with weight and metabolic issues can suddenly become thin and healthy, even though it's never worked before. I'll check back in a couple of weeks to observe the miracle.

Last edited:
However, most people find it impossible to adhere to this, may be counting calories wrong, underestimating what they eat, may lose weight initially and then lose motivation when they plateau before starting the next phase down, etc. But to blame metabolism for lack of ANY weight loss I think is a red herring. It is a medical fact that if you eat less than your burn, you will eventually lose some weight.

Please feel free to critique.

Here is my critique. You're right as far as you go, but you don't go far enough.

The part that is left out is that the wrong foods sort of force you body to store calories as fat so they are not available for energy. That means you need to eat more. The brain knows you need more energy and it triggers this biological thing we call hunger. And fighting your biology daily is a no-win, unsustainable strategy. Further more even if you reduce eating too much your body will probably take steps to slow down and burn less energy than normal. Not so good if you wish to lose weight and keep trim. Bad food throws your metabolism out of whack. Good foods let it work as it is supposed to work.

Look at it this way: you are walking down the street with your friend and you see a very crowded store, jam packed with people in the aisles, and long check out lines. You ask you friend "Why is that store so crowded?" He replies " Because more people are going in than coming out." That is true. It's the CICO answer. It's true but it doesn't tell us why so many people want to shop at the store today.

A better and more useful answer might be "The owner is celebrating his 20th year in business by having a 50% off everything sale, today only." Now we know the core reason why the store is packed with customers.

From what I have read, for many, perhaps most people, a poor diet triggers our strong biological need to eat. Fighting it with will power is not sustainable. We need to eat food that fills us with the nutrition we need, and does not trigger hunger before it should.

A good book to read is "Always Hungry" by Ludwig. He explains this far better than a simple layman like myself can.

Last edited:
An interesting video that demonstrates how someone gained weight while eating about the same number of calories and maintaining the same exercise regimen is That Sugar Film. He switched from a moderate diet that had no added sugar to a supposedly healthy low fat diet that had 40 teaspoons daily of added sugar - matching the sugar intake of the typical western diet. And this is with absolutely no junk or sodas or sweets. He gained weight and started developing fatty liver within a month, and much worse after two.
https://watchdocumentaries.com/that-sugar-film/

This film was interesting in the sense that he kept the caloric intake about the same as before. I knew what the results were going to be, but it was still shocking to see the transformation in him. Quite alarming.

If you are only trying to solve for weight then maybe CICO will work. However if you are trying to solve for better health and body composition the type of calories really matter. I use to eat whatever I wanted and maintained my weight just fine by burning the same number. However I was weak and my blood pressure and blood numbers were starting to falter (according to the doctors).

For the last couple years I eat very few carbs and lots of fat. Although my weight is about the same my body fat percentage has fallen to about 11% (according to my scale). I am a lot stronger and my waist size has decreased 2 inches. My blood pressure is normal and my doctor likes my blood numbers. I have a Russian doctor that is not tied to the Kellogg’s health studies.

Most importantly I feel great and can ride off-road motorcycles and play pickleball and do whatever I want without physical limitations. I let you know in about 40 years if it worked long term.

This film was interesting in the sense that he kept the caloric intake about the same as before. I knew what the results were going to be, but it was still shocking to see the transformation in him. Quite alarming.
Yes, it was quite astonishing. And really illustrated the issues and challenges. He was eating supposedly healthy food, no sweets, sodas, or junk etc. Someone can think they are eating very healthy but be dead wrong, unfortunately, and worsen their health.

Last edited:
Well, glad that's settled. Now all the millions with weight and metabolic issues can suddenly become thin and healthy, even though it's never worked before. I'll check back in a couple of weeks to observe the miracle.

@harley Not sure what the point is. Speaking specifically and only about losing weight (as opposed to healthy eating or losing fat) are you saying that if someone cut net calories by say 500 or 750 a day and did that consistently without fail day after day for a year that they would NOT lose ANY pounds? And if they exercised regularly that they would NEVER lose body fat over that same period?

Here are some science-y pieces that well, certainly say more than just CICO:

nih.gov = Evidence that bodies may might have a set-weight point, and that your DNA has some possible control:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5421125/

nih.gov = Depending on your starting point, you may lose weight very differently than someone else. IE, already lean vs. overweight, the outcome of lean mass vs. fat lost is not the same, and how to adjust for that:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5421125/

cambridge.org = over-restriction of caloric intake can backfire and result in greater fat regain once resuming a normal intake:
https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...toregulation/8A3D55F5F6A104E0A7D08C5D83021D17

I mean if it were just CICO why would there be all this (ongoing, still learning) material and study...

are you saying that if someone cut net calories by say 500 or 750 a day and did that consistently without fail day after day for a year that they would NOT lose ANY pounds? And if they exercised regularly that they would NEVER lose body fat over that same period?

I think what many are saying is that such a calorie cut as described above is not sustainable and can't be done by most human beings (Unless somebody with big muscles and guns enforces it). And, it isn't necessary if people eat the right foods.

As far as exercise goes, for most of us, "You can't outrun a bad diet" is something that I believe is very true.

@harley Not sure what the point is. Speaking specifically and only about losing weight (as opposed to healthy eating or losing fat) are you saying that if someone cut net calories by say 500 or 750 a day and did that consistently without fail day after day for a year that they would NOT lose ANY pounds? And if they exercised regularly that they would NEVER lose body fat over that same period?

When Nancy Reagan said "just say no to drugs", people that had no issues with drugs or addiction said "great! That's all it takes". Similarly, if a person has no weight, health, or hormonal issues, CICO works perfectly. But many people have issues that make CICO unworkable for the long haul, unless as Chuckanut pointed out, they are physically forced to live within that regimen. And even then, they might lose some weight but they won't be healthier. This discussion has never been about just losing a few pounds. Very few people would do keto or LCHF eating if it didn't address some problems they have. AND it helps you lose weight. But that's not the primary reason for doing it. CICO does not address any of those issues except weight loss, and for many is impossible to stick with for reasons that have nothing to do with willpower. If you don't have those problems, CICO on, dude. But why get on a thread about keto and health if that's the case? It would be like the aforementioned Nancy going to an AA meeting and saying "just say no!". True for some, but not that particular audience.

Edit: After rereading the OP, it was sort of just about weight loss, but moved beyond that pretty much immediately.

Last edited:
@harley Hey no prob. Happy to have the discussion. I was just reacting to the comment that "I'll step in and say that the calories in-calories out relationship is not valid" (and a kinda of snarky follow up :angel:). The thread was about keto and other diets and what works and doesn't work to lose weight. I still maintain that:

1. Reduce calories (creating a 500 daily calorie deficit is not hard or unhealthy)
  2. Eat a health balanced diet (protein, complex carbs, healthy fats)
  3. Exercise portion control
  4. Avoid "fad" diets
  5. Drink lots of water
  6. Cut out crackers, cookies, sugar snacks, sugar drinks, white bread, and other simple carbs)
  7. Focus on low GI/bulk healthy foods that "fill you up"
  8. Cut out added sugars (rampant in so called "diet" foods)
  9. Log what you eat and be honest about the calories and portion size
  10. No sneaking off to McD's for a "cheat day" or forgetting to log that candy bar you had
  11. Get plenty of regular sleep
  12. Exercise at least 30 min 3-4 times a week where you heart rate gets elevated (walk, jog, work in the garden, etc.)

Pretty sure that if you do this consistently over time (absent some legitimate glandular conditions) and you will lose weight and be healthy.

But then probably doesn't work for everybody.

Last edited:
Well, if you do all that you're certainly not sticking with a straight CICO theory. With that you should be able to eat 1500 calories of M&Ms and lose weight and stay healthy. Your list is far more complicated than that, and somewhat closer to reasonable.

My snark was aimed fully at the assertion (not by you) that CICO is the only solution , with no caveats like "eat your vegetables ".

Last edited:
There is no way around the fact that to lose any type of weight you have to feel a bit hungry each day.

The more refined food you eat the hungrier you have to feel as the calories do not hang around the way fat/protein does.

I find if I got to bed slightly hungry I do not wake up hungry and can happily go for a two hour run without eating.

Keto is good for eliminating most junk sugar etc and moving to a much less volatile eating plan.

In that sense Keto is more like Bonds. Carbs more like Stocks. And refined sugar candy would have to be Crypto [emoji3]

I'm on board with timbervest, RetireAge50 and captain3d.

CICO works universally, unequivocally, and without exception for the average person, for weight management.

I agree on the quality of food intake (carbs, fat, protein and where those nutrients come from), that it needs to be good stuff. Another reason for the average person to learn to cook from basic raw ingredients. Veggies, fruits, and all of the other food groups. "Health" can be measured quantifiably, but is a multivariate thing, is complex and can be a subjective attribute.

But for weight management, CICO is ground truth.

When does the discussion start to include self control and continence, in the sense of portion control and pushing back from the table when enough food has been consumed? Notwithstanding that mother, mother-in-law, friend or other relative wants you to "eat up!"?

Cleaning one's plate, with today's portion sizes, is not in one's own best interest.

Last edited:
Well, if you do all that you're certainly not sticking with a straight CICO theory. With that you should be able to eat 1500 calories of M&Ms and lose weight and stay healthy. Your list is far more complicated than that, and somewhat closer to reasonable.

My snark was aimed fully at the assertion (not by you) that CICO is the only solution , with no caveats like "eat your vegetables ".

OK -- I'm out [drops mic and exits right]

I love reading these discussions and find it positive that the world is changing. I have long had both a personal and professional interest in the areas under discussion and feel like I am pretty well informed but have to acknowledge that there are so many moving parts in each human body and its associated microbiome that it's hard to make sweeping statements.

I find much wisdom in the messages of Yudkin, Taubes, Lustig, Ludwig, Teicholz, Fung and others. The messages in my mind boil down to a few simple components: too much sugar (sucrose, highly processed starch, HFCS), too much fructose (Sucrose, fructose, HFCS), too frequent dosing with these substances (preventing insulin levels from falling to allow fat/triglyceride mobilization/utilization and likely leading to leptin resistance), too many calories in easy to access and non-satiating forms (simple sugars and carbs), too many processed foods with minimal fiber that negatively impacts the microbiome.

All of these things combine in varying degrees to lead to fat gain (most harmfully in the liver and viscera) which leads to insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. Subsequently, the individual makes matters worse by recognizing that they have become overweight and start to 'diet' in the traditional way that makes the body turn down its metabolic rate in an attempt to prolong life the face of calorie restriction. The 'diet' ends but the metabolic rate (which accounts for the vast majority of energy burned in all but people like elite athletes) does not return to normal while caloric intake goes back to normal or increases and is still composed of foods that are bad for you.

At some point, something must give and people must realize that once people become metabolically unhealthy the road back is very difficult in our current environment. I am very fortunate to have never been overweight and never had to do much about it but at the same time I haven't had sugar in a beverage (other than milk - lactose [glucose-galactose]) in roughly 35 years and try to advocate and eat a JERF diet. I have also been a breakfast skipper (and sometimes lunch) for most of my adult life.

CICO is for sure a thing it's just that we have very limited tools to measure either CI or CO. I can eat a ton of cellulose (I enjoy celery) and that is a great deal of calories but none of them are available to me initially. Depending on my microbiome I may get some small amount of energy from bacterial break down of the cellulose and gut absorption but it isn't going to be much. As others have pointed out I can also eat exactly the same number of calories in many different simple/complex carb + fat + protein combinations and they will have wildly different effects on my glucose, hormones (insulin, leptin, grehlin, CCK, etc), BMR, satiety, etc. CO is even more difficult as BMR can differ dramatically even in the same individual and as pointed out already calorie expenditure for any given amount of activity varies quite a bit. And then we also have the huge potential impacts of the microbiome on energy expenditure.

One of the great statements above was that we don't eat calories, we eat food (or what we have been told is food). Something that has been clear to me since the 80s is that a 'calorie is a calorie' is definitely wrong. Even when we are talking about substances that can be used by human metabolic pathways. The most obvious illustration is the glucose/fructose paradox. Exactly the same chemical formula and energy content but handled completely differently inside the body. One is the primary stimulus for insulin release, the other causes no insulin release. One can be used by every cell in the body and the other is metabolized exclusively by the liver. The story of fructose is evolving but Dr. Lustig and his colleague's work at UCSF and that of others is incredibly frightening. Non-alcoholic fatty liver, which is inducible with fructose feeding and reversible with fructose restriction, was barely ever seen 40 years ago and now is an incredibly costly epidemic.

Anyway just a few thoughts. Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts and experiences.

PS As an inadvertent IF adherent for 40 years I would point out that the usual goal of IF (the 18:6 variety) is not ketosis but simply to allow insulin levels to fall low enough to allow fat cells to breakdown stored triglycerides (fat) and release glycerol and free fatty acids (FFAs). This was the normal state of affairs until we went on the 'snack, fuel you body, don't let your glucose get low' craze. Glycerol can be converted in the liver to glucose and FFAs are the bodies dominant energy source in the fasting state. If the fast lasts long enough and insulin drops low enough (and counter-regulatory hormones which act to increase glucose production [glucagon, cortisol, epinephrine] increase) then the liver starts turning the FFAs into ketones which the brain can use for fuel (as the brain cannot use FFAs for fuel). The same counter-regulatory hormones increase glucose production from glycerol and some amino acids by the liver (gluconeogenesis) to provide the small amounts of glucose that are necessary for a small number of cells (e.g. RBCs) and to keep mitochondria running. Sorry too much maybe. ;)

Back
Top Bottom