Any PC Gamers or PC Builders out there?

I've never been a fan of overclocking. At best you gain a couple hundred dollars in performance you'd have gotten by buying a faster chip. At worst you fry it and get to buy a new one anyway.

Truth be told, I bought one once. Way back in the 1994ish range I bought a desktop with a 100mhz pentium equivalent...I think it was a k5? I wouldnt have done it but the company had just stopped selling us PC's at cost and I was feeling rebellious.

It sucked. Weak FPU, slow overall performance and hot. Caught fire just before it could bite me.

I've had several AMDs, and have been very pleased with them all. But right now, the Core2Duo is the unquestioned better processor.

Even AMD realizes they are behind. Read somewhere recently that they were considering getting out of the CPU race.

So you operate a fire extinguisher manufacturing company then?

Too funny

But hey, that was one of the good things about my old HP desktop. If I had to keep working I could keep my lunch warm just by setting it on the tower.

Did it ever eat your lunch?

Should I point out a couple of other frightening causative factors?

HP picks up AMD processors...goes into a 5 year slide.

Dell picks up AMD processors, announces financial and market share losses.

Hmmm...might be advisable for all the other manufacturers to avoid this... ;)

used the overclock EZ menu in the BIOS, crashed my computer at the highest setting, getting LOWER ratings via 3DMark on the moderate settings. The base performance is right there with the people bragging on line, so I will be avoiding the overclock route.

I need to post a picture, the case looks scary (got a gamer case, all dark blue neon-type). I've been playing F.E.A.R. which is scarying the bejeazus out of me! But I can have the settings maxed out and not even start to work the system!

Did it ever eat your lunch?

Should I point out a couple of other frightening causative factors?

HP picks up AMD processors...goes into a 5 year slide.

Dell picks up AMD processors, announces financial and market share losses.

Hmmm...might be advisable for all the other manufacturers to avoid this... ;)

I want to point out that Intel did not put all of its marketing folks through a course on spreading FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt.) No we merely recruited those who had a natural talent for spewing it.

Well done, CFB.

For what it is worth, while I never bought an AMD processor. Not only did own a Mac, but I used it in the office for creating datasheets for Intel microprocessors. :D

I used to buy AMD all the time. I also used to build all of my own machines. then I bought an HP laptop with AMD's newest chip. this corresponded with writing my book.

The stupid thing kept overheating and crashing. Nothing like losing a chapter =/

After several go-rounds with BBY service (very helpful the whole way I might add, but then I was an employee so...), HP managed to lose some of my components in-transit and so BBY gave me credit towards a new machine. I went Toshiba/Intel then and haven't looked back since... running a Gateway tablet now with an Intel chip.

I want to point out that Intel did not put all of its marketing folks through a course on spreading FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt.) No we merely recruited those who had a natural talent for spewing it.

Well done, CFB.

Pisser is, I'm not getting paid for it anymore.

For what it is worth, while I never bought an AMD processor. Not only did own a Mac, but I used it in the office for creating datasheets for Intel microprocessors. :D

Me too, although we left our imac at home. A few years later we were able to foist it off on someone else for a fair price.

Back
Top Bottom